Allpar Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how difficult is it to change the spark plugs in a 2006 pacifica and what is the best type to use.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Bust out the tools, pull the plugs and consult your owners manual for plug make and model. The fun is in the discovery of new knowledge.

·
Super Moderator
21,353 Posts
On the 3.5L, it is necessary to remove the upper intake manifold to get to the 3 rear bank spark plugs. The intake gasket is re-useable as long as it isn't damaged. Use NGK # ZFR5LP-13G gapped to 0.050".

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had heard that you do have to remove the manifold to get to the plugs on the firewall side.
What about on the 4.0litre Pacifica.Now I've also been looking into replacement spark plugs
and I'm thinking of the Bosch OE fine wire double platinum#8123 and wire set#09787,has
anyone have any experience with this topic.Any and all feedback greatly appreciated.
Michael

·
Super Moderator
36,919 Posts
Skip the Bosch and go with the OE specified plug which is likely a Champion. Odds are the Bosch plugs won't last as long as the OE Champions, that's what I've found in a sampling of vehicles over the years though none of them were a Pacifica.

·
Super Moderator
21,353 Posts
The 4.0L is similar to the 3.5L, so yes the intake manifold has to come off to get at the rear plugs.
See your underhood emissions information label or owners manual for the recommended spark plug. In a 2008 Pacifica, it was a platinum NGK ZFR5LP-13G gapped to .050" (1.27 mm). I also wouldn't consider Bosch.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I appreciate all the feed back on the spark plug issue.Reason being is I get intermitten interferance on FM and Am radio?
it's the stock system 7CD 7spkr.I don't hear engine interferance,just the signal seems to weaken.
Any idea's out there

·
Super Moderator
21,353 Posts
Engine spark interference should affect AM much more than FM. What year and do you have satellite radio?
The Pacifica uses an antenna printed to the right rear 1/4 glass with an active amplifier module above the headliner. Look for scratched or broken grid lines on the glass.
I have found the 2-piece antenna cable behind the glovebox area unplugged before. Some aftermarket CD changers (if equipped) injected the CD audio into an inline modulator at the instrument panel antenna cable junction.
The plugs are 100K platinums and unless they or the rubber boots are arcing, shouldn't cause radio static/crackle. Is the noise present with the engine off? Weak reception will allow background noise to seem stronger.

·
Registered
8 Posts
great input,thanks.The reception is poor even when the vehicle is turned off.
There is a sat entenna,but no sat radio.If the window grid is damaged can it be repaired?
I'll check the underdash connector.Also has anyone heard of the antenna amplifier blowing?
I'll keep you's posted on what I see.
One more item,I see the 2012 Challanger has a real slick looking pistal grip shifter.Does anyone
know the inside diamensions and how it locks in place.Part#82212927,not cheap though!

·
Super Moderator
21,353 Posts
You may want to find a factory service manual to pursue this probable antenna diagnosis. A 3' length of wire as a substitute antenna can help find where the break in the signal is occurring. Reception should be acceptable on clear channel (50kw) stations ~50 miles away.
Start behind the radio connecting to the center pin and hang the wire out the passenger window. If reception is strong, the problem is towards the back window. Some disassembly of interior trim may be necessary.
Antenna modules (amplifiers) can fail, but confirm this first. Make sure that 12 volts and a good ground is present at the module. The antenna grid printed on the glass can be repaired with the defogger grid repair kits. Being in the cargo area, sometimes an object can scrape and open the glass antenna and defogger grid.
If reception is poor with the engine off, the spark plugs aren't the cause.
I don't know about the pistol grip fit, but maybe a shifter is out there that would work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts