Allpar Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Grand Cherokee L. Photo was posted on Reddit by employee doing pre delivery inspection.

Brown Packing materials Motor vehicle Package delivery Plastic bag

Comments in the same post from other Jeep dealerships and Jeep employees.

Our first Grand Wagoneer that came through had a black interior with a tan third row seat. Once Stellantis located the Grand Wagoneer with a tan interior and a black third row seat, they wanted us to send a tech 150 miles away (each way) to that customer's house to swap it out.
Saw Grand Cherokee SRT with a "Diesel" lift gate badge. Color mismatched "Grand Cherokee" door emblems from one side to the other. Chrome and Black belt line molding mixed and matched on different windows. Loose/missing seat bolts. It goes on and on.
We had a grand wagoneer come in with mismatched door panels. The drivers panel was black and passenger was white. And the worst part is, nobody caught it and it the customer drove it around for a week before anyone noticed.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
What I will say, our current workforce is much different than 2 years ago and from what I have been having to deal with on multiple levels is that no one gives a crap about how they do their work, it is the "meh" attitude and I am sure every employer is having to deal with this.

Reactions: AceHanlon

·
Move along, nothing to see here
2,856 Posts
What I will say, our current workforce is much different than 2 years ago and from what I have been having to deal with on multiple levels is that no one gives a crap about how they do their work, it is the "meh" attitude and I am sure every employer is having to deal with this.
It's been my experience across multiple organizations that the entire attitude is set from the top levels. Not just the words, but the actions. If the CEO cares about product quality and allows for an entire organizational focus toward taking the actual steps to deliver quality products, then that's what every layer will do. If the top managers talk about mission statements but then focus on penny pinching and production metrics over all human costs then that attitude will also roll down through every layer. This is where, "how many vehicles did you deliver" takes priority over "get it right every time".

If stuff like this is what's coming out that tells me Stellantis is focused entirely on production metrics. It's like how in a call centre, you will often have good customer service agents punished because their call handle times are too high. The focus isn't on resolving customer issues or providing customer service, it's on volume and productivity metrics. I imagine something similar is happening in the factories right now.

·
Registered
82 Imperial, 91 New yorker, 00 Neon, 00 Dak, 00 Ram 1500, 06 Ram 2500, 07 Charger R/T, 22 Ram 1500
141 Posts
Reminds me on the red lap belts for the rear seats on my 82 with tan interior....I wondered if it was meant like that or just a QC issue.

·
Super Moderator
40,826 Posts
My friend has a 1978 Dodge Magnum that is red with the color keyed bumper rub strips (a 1978 only option). The only problem is the two front bumper guards have green strips while all the rest are the proper red and it's been that way since new.

I can understand the pressure workers are under and they are probably subject to a lot of pressure to keep the line moving even if it is wrong. But how the stuff isn't caught and made right? Maybe it's worse now that more stuff is automated as there are even less human eyes on the car during assembly. But why isn't stuff caught at the end of the production line?

·
Registered
2021 Durango Blacktop, Scat Pack Wide Body
20 Posts
welcome to 2021. I work at a giant manufacturer. I set up and run CNC equipment. No one that has hired in recent years cares about anything but their phone.
People are either there 10 plus years or 2 weeks, maybe. Probably start 10 new people every Monday, Friday maybe 2-3 remain, repeat. the 2-3 remaining are gone the next week.
Excellent pay, great benefits day 1, fully air conditioned shop, laid back environment.

·
Registered
82 Imperial, 91 New yorker, 00 Neon, 00 Dak, 00 Ram 1500, 06 Ram 2500, 07 Charger R/T, 22 Ram 1500
141 Posts
welcome to 2021. I work at a giant manufacturer. I set up and run CNC equipment. No one that has hired in recent years cares about anything but their phone.
People are either there 10 plus years or 2 weeks, maybe. Probably start 10 new people every Monday, Friday maybe 2-3 remain, repeat. the 2-3 remaining are gone the next week.
Excellent pay, great benefits day 1, fully air conditioned shop, laid back environment.
Construction / skilled trade is pretty bad aswell with turnover right now. Everyone wants $20hr and can't read a tape measure.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
It's been my experience across multiple organizations that the entire attitude is set from the top levels. Not just the words, but the actions. If the CEO cares about product quality and allows for an entire organizational focus toward taking the actual steps to deliver quality products, then that's what every layer will do. If the top managers talk about mission statements but then focus on penny pinching and production metrics over all human costs then that attitude will also roll down through every layer. This is where, "how many vehicles did you deliver" takes priority over "get it right every time".

If stuff like this is what's coming out that tells me Stellantis is focused entirely on production metrics. It's like how in a call centre, you will often have good customer service agents punished because their call handle times are too high. The focus isn't on resolving customer issues or providing customer service, it's on volume and productivity metrics. I imagine something similar is happening in the factories right now.
You are spot on! And this quantity is the most important attitude is so much more prevalent in larger organizations.

My wife runs a small business with about 20-25 people and we have re-thought how we run things to better ensure that our employees are valued. I will also add that we are not a numbers-dependent business, so there is no quotas to make and we still struggle to find people that are mediocre at best. Its been brought to say the least, not sure how or when things will change.

The other challenge is finding people with basic skills, like basic cooking(we hired a person that had adult children and did not know how to cook) which is part of the duties for our employees. It is very odd times that we live in.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Bottom line: lots of lazy younger people out there now.
Perhaps their parents did everything for them?? Just sayin’.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Bottom line: lots of lazy younger people out there now.
Don't blame the generation, blame who raised them.
There are plenty of the younger generation who bust there butts everyday and have to deal with people their own age who could care less. I think its more to do with the mentality of the country, not an age group.

·
Virginia Gentleman
16,386 Posts
There is a term for this - helicopter parents. Or even worse - snowplow parents. Saw this when my son played travel baseball. Parents mean well but get carried away with moving any obstacles in their kids way. Yes, parents should be involved but the child (especially when in late teens) should be the driver.

Occasionally, I'll take in a LL game. It doesn't take long to pick out "those" parents. They are the ones coaching from the stands - that's where it starts. It's one thing to cheer on your child and team. Quite another to "coach" from the stands.

That said, it's not an easy process as a parent. You want your child to do well, but there comes a point where, hopefully, as a parent you have instilled a good work ethic in your child, and they can take the reins for themselves. Yes, they will make bad decisions - that is part of learning and life.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts