Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Just ordered a 2013 Wrangler unlimited when a VIN is assigned is there any way to special order the 17" alloys in black paint.

Thanks

Mike

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
I think I know the answer, but any dealers want to chime in?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Norm

Let me in on the secret.

I am willing to pay extra if needed and If I can not get black can I get the dark gunmetal.

Mike

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Hi Norm

Let me in on the secret.

I am willing to pay extra if needed and If I can not get black can I get the dark gunmetal.

Mike
Unless a dealer chimes in here, I'd say modifying that order is wholly dependent upon your dealer, once the order is placed, I'm not aware that any changes can be made.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Unless a dealer chimes in here, I'd say modifying that order is wholly dependent upon your dealer, once the order is placed, I'm not aware that any changes can be made.
I am pretty sure you can make changes up to the point it starts rolling down the assembly line. I am not 100% sure though. Best to consult your dealer.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
I am pretty sure you can make changes up to the point it starts rolling down the assembly line. I am not 100% sure though. Best to consult your dealer.

the dealer can make a phone call and have changes made if it is early enough. As for the Black wheels, I believe that can only be done if said wheels are an available option on the model that you are purchaseing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Black wheels are not a standard option on the Sport S package I ordered but they make the MOAB style 17 inch wheels in black and dark gray.

I have a sense of humor buying this jeep with a potentially bad head and other potential pentastar motor issues it would be nice to find someone at Chrysler who would help me in getting what I want since they have $30,000 + reasons to try and make me a repeat happy customer "the best kind " trading in my TJ for a new JK and they have to paint the wheels anyway.

If anyone can give me some contact information for someone at Chrysler who could make this happen to talk to I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Mike

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
I have a sense of humor buying this jeep with a potentially bad head and other potential pentastar motor issues
The head issues were corrected a few months ago.

If the wheels you want are in the system, your dealer can swap them out when your vehicle arrives. If they are not, but made by some other vendor, he can swap those out as well, if he is so inclined. Again, it needed to be hashed out prior to placing the order and you would have received his commitment in writing.
It's still possible as long as you keep talking to him.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Mr Norm

If you have information that the head problem is fixed please let me know I have talked to a lot of people including sales managers, service managers, independent mechanics, Chrysler customer support and a couple of engineers at the Trenton Michigan plant where the pentastars are manufactured and no one has said positively that the head issue has been fixed and I have heard more than once that it is still an unresolved issue.

I understand that there is a third head revision with a part ending in AC the first in AA the second "the Fix" in AB and just within the last month this third fix.

I have emailed Mike Manley asking his help in getting me the color wheels I want and await a reply.

Thanks

Mike

·
2,570 Posts
What has your purchasing dealer said?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Black wheels are not a standard option on the Sport S package I ordered but they make the MOAB style 17 inch wheels in black and dark gray.

I have a sense of humor buying this jeep with a potentially bad head and other potential pentastar motor issues it would be nice to find someone at Chrysler who would help me in getting what I want since they have $30,000 + reasons to try and make me a repeat happy customer "the best kind " trading in my TJ for a new JK and they have to paint the wheels anyway.

If anyone can give me some contact information for someone at Chrysler who could make this happen to talk to I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Mike
If the Wheels are an available option to order from the order screen you may be able to change them depending how far along the Jeep is on the line. Your dealer would need to try and modify the order.
Some wheels are a MOPAR only option and need to be ordered through the parts department and installed when the Jeep gets to the dealer.

The only black 17" wheels that are in the 2012 MOPAR book for the Wrangler is part number 82210355AB. Check Mopar.com and see if they show them there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for your reply I looked up the wheels on Mopar.com they look good but at $275 each for 5 wheels plus mount and balance it does not make sense to spend $1500 for a color change that could be made at production at no or minimal cost.

I want to avoid having the wheels painted after delivery and still am interested in contact information in someone at Chrysler who could make this happen.

·
Super Moderator
36,926 Posts
Good luck - this doesn't seem realistic.

·
2,570 Posts
Captain Mike, what did your dealer tell you?

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Hi Mr Norm

If you have information that the head problem is fixed please let me know I have talked to a lot of people including sales managers, service managers, independent mechanics, Chrysler customer support and a couple of engineers at the Trenton Michigan plant where the pentastars are manufactured and no one has said positively that the head issue has been fixed and I have heard more than once that it is still an unresolved issue.

I understand that there is a third head revision with a part ending in AC the first in AA the second "the Fix" in AB and just within the last month this third fix.

I have emailed Mike Manley asking his help in getting me the color wheels I want and await a reply.

Thanks

Mike
There is a thread here at Allpar regarding the head issue and several engineers and Chrysler folks working at the Trenton engine plant have chimed in to state that the head issue was resolved and replacement heads are being manufactured for warranty work and that all Pentastar built after a certain date, have the new head design.
The date certain was not given, likely to keep from hurting sales of engines built prior to that date. Chrysler is fixing these under warranty as fast as any problems are reported and the bad heads affect less than 2% of the total 1.6 million Pentastars.
You should have nothing to worry about.

Note the Pentastars are cast in two locations and assembled in two plants, but the heads are from an outside vendor.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My Dealer has said he will try but I have found in life if you want something to happen you have to make it happen.

If I have to paint the wheels to get what I want I will but with a little cooperation from a company that I am a loyal customer of and that already makes the wheel in black it would save me a lot of time and money to take care of it on the assembly line.

I have asked before if anyone has contact information of someone at Chrysler that might be able and willing to help me I would appreciate it.

As to the Pentastar problem where is the TSB ???????????

I read all the Jeep forums and do not find final answers are the 2013 Wrangler motors are fixed and what about the AC head part number will I get that on my new Jeep or will it be the AB or worse the AA and is there a heat or oil issue

I started a case with Chrysler customer service asking about the head question a week ago and got the answer back that when they run out of the old heads at that point the newer one will be used and could not tell me if my Jeep will have the upgraded head.

My current Jeep is a 1999 TJ with 101000 miles on it and I am confident in it's 4.0 engine and wonder if I will feel the same with my new JK when it's Pentastar 3.6 is 13 years old with 100000 miles on the clock and out of warranty.

Mike

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just heard from my dealer that Chrysler has offered to pay the dealership to paint my wheels black.

thanks Mike Manley !

·
Well-Known Jeeper
2,932 Posts
Once the vehicle is assisgned a VIN (not to be confused with a VON), the order cannot be modified. This, unless things have changed in the last five years or so.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Once the vehicle is assisgned a VIN (not to be confused with a VON), the order cannot be modified. This, unless things have changed in the last five years or so.
Thank you.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts