Allpar Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
32,048 Posts
When the national 55 mph speed limit was lifted in the mid-1990s, I went from 55 to 65 mph, so as not to impede traffic - still driving the limit in the rightmost of 3 lanes.

My commute to work decreased by 90 seconds as a result of the increased speed.

My gas mileage dropped from 36 to 33 mpg. To me, the increased speed wasn't worth it. A crash at 65 mph has 40% more energy behind it than a crash at 55 mph.

·
Registered
385 Posts
To answer the question re the Mitsubishi and gasoline without urea. The problem is just as bad in the states. It was in the USA that I found the engine had this peculiar liking for urea additive fuel. Gasoline with alcohol was the worst. No one one the face of the earth is going to stand there and tell me alcohol laced gasoline at 18 mpg "is better for the planet" than alcohol free gasoline at 28 mpg. I have a hint that maybe the engine can tolerate Union 76 gasoline. But COSTCO (Valero) and ARCO are definetly poison. Mexican MAGNA gasoline outside of northern Baja California is made in Mexico and while not quite as reactive as the alcohol gasolines, MAGNA needs Techron. It isn't just the mileage it's the stalling and shaking and jumping around of the engine at idle. It is not subtle.

Mexican PREMIUM gasoline is 100% refined in the USA Super Shell gasoline from the PEMEX SHELL joint venture refinery in Deer Park Texas, just outside Houston. It is a TOP TIER GASOLINE like Chevron.

When I first got this car I thought it was haunted. Someone pointed me to some Mitsibishi forums and I got educated fast. First time in my long life I have encountered this kind of peculiar requirement. In my earliest years I drove muscle cars with compression ratios to 12.5 to 1. Chevron Custom Supreme or Sunoco 260 time. That i can understand. This aluminum monster does not have high compression. It should run on kersosene. But no. It demands truffles and serial number wine.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,797 Posts
"urea additive fuel"

????

The only fuel system that I know of that needs a urea additive are diesels (DPF). Urea is not in gasoline (or is it?).

I've used several different brand names (Mobil, Shell, Exxon, Valero) as well as cheaper venders (Sheetz, Wa Wa) and my vehicles cannot discern the difference. They run fine with either.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Chevron's "Techron" and Shell's "Nitrogen Additive" are both urea based. Urea like in fertilizer, like the first of the 3 numbers of fertilizer exp. 10-8-15 as in nitro-glycerin. Nitrogen "seems" inert and friendly, but I guess not in all forms. The bearing grease I used when rebuilding alternators was Chevron urea based.

I can only wish I had a car that was not so touchy about fuel. Up until now my cars (with the exception of the sixties and seventies) could run on any regular gas. The Spirit would not pass emissions test in California until I added Techron and drove it 100 miles. After that the car passed with flying colors, way way down from the limits in all categories. The smog guy couldn't believe it either. Go to a Mistubishi forum and do a search if you like.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
My 2008 Sebring does well between 55-70 and will return about 32-35 mpg, the 200 likes to be at 65 or less to get 30mpg, my 2012 T&C likes 55-60 for 26-29 mpg, anytthing faster and the mpg drops. I always have the AC on, I am sure that it would be a slight bit better, if I had it off.

On the Sebing, the A/C compressor is a variable displacement, unlike my 200 and TC which use a traditonal clutch, thus may be part of the reason for better MPG?

21 - 26 of 26 Posts