Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a Speedi-Sleeve on the crank of my 98 G Caravan 3.8L and now I can't get the timing cover installed! The sleeve Is just pressed on, no adhesive. How do I remove it without damaging the crank?

·
Premium Member
20,079 Posts
Use a chisel or screwdriver to start a tear in the sleeve, on the outer edge away from the engine, then get underneath the sleeve with a screwdriver and bend an edge up, then simply tear it off. A small nick at the outer edge of the crank won't harm a thing, polish it with a file if you want.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll go for it.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Something doesn't sound right here. A microsleeve is so thin that it should have no effect on installation of the timing cover. It almost sounds as if you left the installation shoulder or flange on the sleeve. That is supposed to be peeled off after installation. Below is a picture of sleeves installed on some camshaft ends. The installation flange was peeled off with a knife and pliers.

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
Make sure that the 'flats' in the front timing cover oil pump rotor mate up with the flats on the crankshaft nose. This will prevent front cover seating/installation.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did peel off the install flange. I thought I was having a problem getting the oil pump flats to line up but when I reversed the cover it wouldn't get past those three "tabs" that are just behind the seal. Those tabs (I don't know a better term for them) practically touch the surface of the crank and maybe are for locating the timing cover. Any instructions I have read say to install the seal after installing the cover which is opposite of any I have done before. Other timing covers use the seal to properly locate the cover before bolting it down. So, basically those tabs are hitting the leetle edge of that repair sleeve not letting the cover seat against the block - at least as far as I can tell. It's very frustrating, but I needed a break from wrenching, I'm feeling beat-up from working on the ground on a gravel driveway.

·
KOG
7,002 Posts
File the tabs and put on another sleeve if you have a groove where the seal rides.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts