Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure what year the design changed, but on my '86 the speedometer pinion gear assembly is part of the cable. My guess for this style was to prevent you from running without the cable attached so keeping the miles low on the odometer was prohibited. Unfortunately, pinions in various ranges don't exist as our cars had such a limited selection of rear gears, and the design is different. Speedometer pinions are of course more widely available in the older style as well as the housings, etc. and it would be nice to have that adaptability.

Does anyone know of an older style cable that will work as well as fit to the speedometer assembly?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm not sure why my topic was moved, but just to let you know my question is regarding my '86 Diplomat. I parted out an '82 a few years back and it had the same design speedometer cable assembly on it too. Will an F Body cable work?

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
I moved your topic to the General Tech Support Forum (but left a link in the F-M-J Forum) for wider exposure. :)

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
In short, the old parts fit the newer transmissions, and there are a wider array of plastic gears available in the older style. I know definitively that an older transmission-to-cruise-control cable will fit a newer car, as I've done that on my Cordoba. I don't know about all of the way to the speedometer, but I'd be surprised if it were different.

If you need to retrofit then it should probably work. Parts specified for my father's '73 Charger fit my '78 Cordoba.

·
Registered
39 Posts
About 8 years ago I changed my 81 Lebaron gears to 3.91:1, and also changed the Speedo adaptor on the trans to an old style aluminum one with external threads. Also the lower speedo cable up to the cruise adaptor. Pioneer p/n CA3001. I have been a Partsman for 13 years and i still have yet to find a premade cable to go from the trans to the speedo directly. Belive me I want to be rid of the cruise from my engine bay.

·
Registered
647 Posts
could you not just use one from a early eighty's vintage truck?, my son and I just bypassed the cruise on his 1980 2wd this past winter when we swapped over from auto to std, it has the same early style speedo pinion to seperate cable and at the speedo head it is a push on design with a clip, I cant remember the exact length but the distance is approximately the same from speedo head to trans and the cable was readily available after market for about $20.00

·
Registered
39 Posts
The speedo head attachment is different between cars and trucks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts