Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I took my 74 Satellite out for it first drive on the road. The speedometer was very bouncy at first and then at higher speeds ( approx 40-50mph) the bounce became worse much worse fluctuating between actual speed and pegging the needle, along with a whriling noise. Once i got it home and disconnected the cable but the speedometer was stuck reading 10 mph. Is there any thing i can do to fix it, or do i need to find a new gauge? I have the rallye instrument cluster. Thank you guys for the help.

·
Super Moderator
36,922 Posts
I suppose it could be the speedometer since it stuck at 10 mph, but a cable that needs lubricated can cause the bouncing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured id have to lube or replace the cable, but the speedometer being stuck at 10 mph didnt happen untill after it was erratic.

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
The speedometer stuck at 10 means that it does have issues that are separate from any cable problem. It is easy to pull the cable out of its sheath and VERY carefully inspect it for a whisker sticking out of it that would catch on the outside. Then lubricate it and reinstall it if no burrs are found. The speedometer itself will need to be replaced or repaired as it has it's own problem.

·
Super Moderator
21,362 Posts
The speedometer pegging has probably 'sprung' the return hair-spring. The spinning vanes and magnet assembly may have bound up and need servicing. The old lube/grease has probably turned to candle wax and will need cleaning off and re-oiling. Use synthetic lube for best results.
It is a lot like watch repair. Things are delicate and need to be handled gently as they come apart and go together.
You can re-install the pointer at 0 mph. The speedometer may not be as accurate as it was before, but it will work smoothly and quietly again.
You can pull the cable core from its sheath. Clean and grease it as you 'spin and slide' it back in. The cable can stick at sharp bends and near exhaust pipes. You may need to repeat these steps a couple of times until the cable is slick.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for tips guys, i will definitely check & relube or replace the cable. As far as the speedo, i dont know if i trust myself with it, sounds intricate. I found a place in Denver that specializes in speedometer repairs i think i might send it to them. Thanks again!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi guys ive got an update on my speedo. The problem with it being stuck on 10 mph was that the spiral return spring had slipped when the needle was maxing out. What caused the needle to max out was that the magnets around the drum are actually hitting the drum. You can see the marks where its rubbing in the picture. Any one have ideas how i can straiten it out? Or how they come apart? Thank you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts