Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would any one know where I could go to get a Speedometer or instrument cluster for my 1974 Dodge Dart. Yes, I know I can go to the Junk yard or E bay, however, neither one will guarantee me the speedometer works and my last visit to a junk yard, there was only one dart there and I almost got into a fight with some one who claimed he was there first. I would appreciate any suggestions on a work around.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
I have one for a 71 but I don't know if they're the same. Anyone ??
A 1971 Dart had a horizontal speedometer with rectangular gauges for fuel, temperature, alternator positioned to the left and right of the speedo. Starting in 1972 the speedometer was square with round openings for the gauges. At the end of the 1972 model year and/or start of the 1973 model year a round opening with seat belt usage warning light was added to the instrument cluster. This would be present on a 1974 model instrument cluster. There was no tell tale warning lamp for seat belt usage on the 1971 instrument cluster.

I am thinking that the physical opening in the dash did not change between the 1971 and 1972 model years so a 1971 cluster would physically attach to a 1972 or later model vehicle. But there could have been wiring changes and because the gauges have different locations in the cluster, wiring harness length could have changed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts