Allpar Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I stopped by the gas station and filled up my recently purchased '65 Barracuda. When the tank was full, gas gushed out on the ground. This is the second time I've had this problem. This years Cuda's filler is on the left rear quarter flat panel. Is there a trick to fill up these cars without dumping gas all over?

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Through the 1960s automobile manufacturers used a vented gas cap to allow air to enter the tank to replace fuel that was withdrawn by a mechanical fuel pump. That meant that a full fuel tank could leak with aggressive driving. And if the vehicle flipped over it would allow fuel to leak through the cap. Fuel tank systems became closed and tank vapors collected in a charcoal canister around the year 1970.

With your vehicle operator knowledge and technique are necessary when refueling. You probably have a 16 gallon tank on that Barracuda. When you stop and add fuel note your fuel level gauge. If it is at the 1/4 mark quick mental arithmetic will tell you that 16 - 4 = 12 gallons maximum to add. 1/4 tank would be 4 gallons.

Watch the gallons accumulate on the pump and listen to the sound of liquid as it enters the tank. As the tank fills the sound changes and with practice you will note a distinct pitch change as the tank approaches full. STOP before arriving at the full mark.

As liquid fuel enters the tank the displaced air has only one avenue of exit. It has to travel back up the filler tube. When you approach the full level the exiting air "spits back" the fuel to you. Stop filling before you get to that point.

If you wanted to make a permanent fix then you would have to retrofit a tank with a built in vent and route a vent hose high on the body. Again you would have a problem if the vehicle flipped over as this vent would leak fuel and that would create a dangerous situation.

·
Super Moderator
12,117 Posts
If both the fuel and temp gauge stopped working, I think you replaced everything not related to this dual condition. Look to fuses, the instrument panel and connections, the bulkhead connector, and grounds around the dash.

·
Registered
591 Posts
The gas tank 'burp' is a pain, but normal. I have read that some owners have modified the vent system to prevent it, but I just fill really slow when the tank is nearing full. That's hard to do with modern pumps that turn on and off instantly. The old pumps let you control the trickle.

The fuel and temp gauge problem is also common. You can find a lot of discussion about both problems on Slantsix.org.

·
Registered
717 Posts
This was a complaint on early Valiants from the beginning [see Google Library Popular Mechanics for road tests and such]. Several shots of dirty test models with a gas streak clearly visible below the filler opening.

My own 63 Valiant has done it for years if I don't set it up for automatic shut off and stop there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.