Allpar Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an accident with our '90 Spirit. Unfortunately the damage far exceeds the car's value, so it's been written off. Rather than throw away some odds and ends I have for it, I thought I'd give back to the EEK forum participants for their advice over the years, by giving away the items for the cost of mailing* them.

For each item, I've chosen a random number between 0 and 100. The person guessing closest to the number by 4:00pm Thursday Nov. 22, going by the time on a pm or topic reply, gets the item.

*With the exception of the hubcaps, rims and compact spare, which would have to be picked up.

- one new headlight bulb
- two little black plastic valves supposed to ventilate the water-in-headlamp problem
- factory plastic litter bin that sits on carpeted transmission hump - for blue interior
- two rear seat headrests that velcro to rear window shelf - velour, matches blue interior
- windshield washer hoses/nozzles that clip on the wiper arms
- Message Center, missing a few bulbs
- three packages of 1/2" x 1/8" chrome adhesive plastic trim strips
- 12oz spraycan of Diamond Blue base paint
- 4 oem hubcaps in varying condition
- compact spare
- 3 original rims, one with mounted tire
- Haynes Spirit/Acclaim service manual, plus comprehensive Spirit/Acclaim parts list
- original 1990 Spirit new car brochure

I must add that the accident woke me up to the reality that, given developments in safety features, maintaining a really old car may be a false economy in some important ways. Having airbags, or stability control, or similar features may reduce injuries or save the lives of yourself and family - or even others. So the money saved keeping an old car going, as opposed to paying for a newer one, may not be worth it at some level. Even if you are a careful driver, things still happen.

If anyone's interested in the car's upgrades such as the brand new headlights, remote power door locks and alarm, Traveler trip computer or custom front headrest extender pads, or other things like the new battery, new alternator, good oem floormats, decent engine, I can help track down the car. It may still be in Merritt, BC.

I'd like to thank the community spirit of EEK owners that have done so much to help me maintain the car over the last 11 years.

·
What sanity?
3,705 Posts
I must add that the accident woke me up to the reality that, given developments in safety features, maintaining a really old car may be a false economy in some important ways. Having airbags, or stability control, or similar features may reduce injuries or save the lives of yourself and family - or even others. So the money saved keeping an old car going, as opposed to paying for a newer one, may not be worth it at some level. Even if you are a careful driver, things still happen.
The occupants of the vehicle were unharmed, I hope?

Stability control is the one safety feature I really want. Unfortunately, my income level isn't there to support buying a vehicle with the feature. They're all too new yet and thus too costly for me. Now that I've gotten the Imperial to 100% mechanically, I'll likely be driving it for a few more years yet. Maybe by the time I take it off the road I'll be able to afford a nice loaded 300 or something else with that feature.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The occupants of the vehicle were unharmed, I hope?

Stability control is the one safety feature I really want. Unfortunately, my income level isn't there to support buying a vehicle with the feature. They're all too new yet and thus too costly for me. Now that I've gotten the Imperial to 100% mechanically, I'll likely be driving it for a few more years yet. Maybe by the time I take it off the road I'll be able to afford a nice loaded 300 or something else with that feature.
I was alone in the car and it involved no other parties. I dozed off at 110kph on the Highway thru Heck. I had a few bruises from hitting the door with my side and head. Very very lucky, and just as embarrassed. Stability control would have dampened out the fishtailing enough to stay out of trouble. Keeping from going into a hostile ditch eventually led to running out of room and sideswiping the concrete median barrier. Lucky it was there though. Side/curtain/front airbags could very easily have been important.

I always worried about the vulnerability of the Spirit in an accident. Whenever we carried other people's kids, we'd always use the other car.

It would be interesting to determine when stability control became common or standard, and on which cars. I know it usually was an expensive option at first. For example, it became an option for the 2005 Vibe, but cost a whopping $1000 extra. Or $400 extra on the 2005/2006 X-Trail. Standard on the 2006 Grand Vitara.

So far there has been zero interest in the free stuff.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Am I too late to put in a guess?

I'll guess 63

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Am I too late to put in a guess?

I'll guess 63
Which item were you interested in? It was a different number for each item, not one guess for everything. Since you were the only person interested in anything, I can safely say it's yours.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I sent a PM, I thought that the "secret balat" would be the only method for your lottery.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Which item were you interested in? It was a different number for each item, not one guess for everything. Since you were the only person interested in anything, I can safely say it's yours.
I was interested in the 1990 brochure and maybe the factory litter bin

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
This is just how my dad wrecked his 89 Acclaim, he dozed off, rode up an embankment, hit a guardrail that caught the rocker panel and chewed up the right side of the car. It was totaled because of its age and the fact that the rocker was caved in and twisted.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Sorry to hear about the accident... I'm looking for the wiring for the traveler (the two plugs that connect to the unit). If you still have access to those, I would really appreciate it, I can't find them anywhere.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry to hear about the accident... I'm looking for the wiring for the traveler (the two plugs that connect to the unit). If you still have access to those, I would really appreciate it, I can't find them anywhere.
Hi, I never saw the car again when I left the scene. I was halfway between Vancouver and Kelowna, and the car was towed to Merritt. I recall the plugs you're talking about, but all I have left is the Message Center, which only uses one of those connections. And only the end on the Message Center. Would that be of any use?

This is just how my dad wrecked his 89 Acclaim, he dozed off, rode up an embankment, hit a guardrail that caught the rocker panel and chewed up the right side of the car. It was totaled because of its age and the fact that the rocker was caved in and twisted.
Probably he shares my view that besides being dumb, it was a case of getting off about as luckily as possible. I was thinking today that although I had replaced most of the bushings in the rear suspension, I didn't replace the bushings at the front of the swing arms where they attach to the frame. After the work, the car still took a "set", or had a bit of free play, noticeable in some turns at certain speeds. I think it's possible that played a factor in the fishtailing. In any case, had I been more alert upon wakening from my slumbers, I should have put the brakes on in addition to trying to steer out of it. As it was, I was headed into a very dangerous looking ditch and had only a moment to avoid going into it.

I was interested in the 1990 brochure and maybe the factory litter bin
No one asked for those, so pm your address to me and I'll get them off to you.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Probably he shares my view that besides being dumb, it was a case of getting off about as luckily as possible.
This was summer of 2006, and he only got a few scrapes, but was very upset, as he had bought it new and it was in great shape at about 136K miles. He had to resort to his 1994 Honda del Sol 5-speed for driving after that, which was difficult for him to get in and out of at age 79. He had some medical issues, was on dialysis and health failing. He passed away a year later.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A couple of people expressed interest in leftover items. I've followed up using the forum's personal messaging, but the communication seems to have stalled. Those who asked, please let me know if you're no longer interested, so I can dispose of the items.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The requested items went in the mail today.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts