Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 1950 dodge pickup woody, it is a B-2-B frame and from the windshield forward, with a Cantrell Woody body. I am the forth owner, 2nd guy had it 40 yrs, 3rd 20 yrs. It is mostly original except for the engine, which was replaced in the early 50's. It is a Spitfire flathead and I would like to know if it is a 251 or 265. The engine block has the stamped number 1727934 (perhaps with a T in front of it) above the front freeze plug, the head has 1120808-2 cast on it near the firewall, and a small B or 8, larger 19 in front of the distributor, 14 behind the dist., both are cast. Can anyone tell me anything about this engine based on the numbers? Is there some other Identification or number I should be looking for? I will appreciate any help I can get. Thanks, Pete

·
Registered
14 Posts
Both engine displacements had bore of 3 7/16 in. The 251 had a 4 1/2 stroke and the 265 had a 4 3/4 stroke.
I went to my car parts books and found a head numbered 1120 796 used on DeSoto and Chrysler of that
time period, but I cannot find the displacement for it. Do you know if your engine was originally used
in a car or truck? A truck parts manual might have that head. My parts book goes through 1954 so
that head might be a slightly later year. The long number you quote is the serial number of the block and I don't
have a book to match that to a particular engine. GCW

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
I found your casting number for the head listed by one owner as a 230. Measure the length from the center of the trapazoidal cover on the right side to the front of the block. A 230 should be 11-7/8" and the 265 should be 13-1/32. If the carb is centered, it shpould also measure the same.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts