Allpar Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any chance of the guys at SRT getting involved in fielding some cars for Pikes Peak in the next year or few years? It seems like its growing in popularity and is quickly becoming the Nurburgring of the US. Plus it would be a great way for SRT to get even more "visibility" in motorsports.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Hell if Honda can turn the Oddessy into a Pikes Peak Racer. SRT can do it with a AWD Caravan RT or that one-off AWD Avenger

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
It doesnt have to be AWD Pikes Peak unfortunately is 100% paved all the way up

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Sir Moses Wellington said:
Why an Avenger when they already have an AWD Charger ;)
I think they could one-off an SRT8 AWD to run Pikes Peak.
This is why,

Jeepnut said:
It doesnt have to be AWD Pikes Peak unfortunately is 100% paved all the way up
Well the Oddessy is packing 330hp... just saying.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
The best car would be the Dart, in the Unlimited class. The Unlimited share almost nothing with their namesakes, except, kind of, their general body shape. Put a 1200hp engine in the middle, and turn it loose. The Electrics are making a big splash lately, they are getting very very fast. Right now, Sebastian Loeb in the Peugeot is the favorite.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just really wanna see a forced induction SRT....and I figure what better a motivator than the oxygen deprived altitude of Pikes Peak to force their hand! haha

·
Registered
1,476 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,522 Posts
SRT Adrenaline Tour 2005: Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8: Pike's Peak Highway

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tSgRlCA2_g

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oh2o said:
SRT Adrenaline Tour 2005: Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8: Pike's Peak Highway
wow thats a pretty cool video thanks for sharing. So then is there very much of a handicap for a NA engine at that altitude? The driver in the video didnt mention anything about a loss or drop in power as he went higher up the mountain? Perhaps it was minimal or not worth mentioning?

·
Resident Photoshop Nerd
7,995 Posts
Random thought.. instead of the Dart; what about using the new Cherokee? Yeah; the Dart has the rally-cross scene but I think Jeep needs to get into off-road racing somewhere. JMO though.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
suzq044 said:
Random thought.. instead of the Dart; what about using the new Cherokee? Yeah; the Dart has the rally-cross scene but I think Jeep needs to get into off-road racing somewhere. JMO though.
Agree 100% I would love to see a factory team do the Baja 1000 of the Dakar.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
suzq044 said:
Jeep is mildly evolved in the Jeep Speed Series, and you're correct, Jeep needs to be a more active participant, however the KL would not be race worthy for Baja, Dakar, or most other offroad race series.
It might do well in WRC, albeit highly modified.

·
Resident Photoshop Nerd
7,995 Posts
.. most of the race vehicles in Dakaar and Baja are very modified too. Same with the Dart in the GRC series. I have no qualms with modification to compete; it's just that I think Jeep needs to at least make a presence at these more well known races. Not to say JeepSpeed isn't well known.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
suzq044 said:
.. most of the race vehicles in Dakaar and Baja are very modified too. Same with the Dart in the GRC series. I have no qualms with modification to compete; it's just that I think Jeep needs to at least make a presence at these more well known races. Not to say JeepSpeed isn't well known.
Modification is one thing, however the KL is not competitive with simple mods. All you would end up with is a KL body over a race chassis and Im not sure how that benefits Jeep.
Dart in GRC remains essentially a Dart, Jeep Speed is done with basically stock vehicles, with safety equipment added.
KL couldnt do that.

·
Resident Photoshop Nerd
7,995 Posts
Actually the Dart in GRC is a body over a race chassis. I had a picture before, but it's gone now. The only thing "Dart" on that car is the race-track tails (which are brakes on the GRC car, and running lights on the factory Darts) and the dash cover. Everything else is pretty much a cage with a body over it.

^ totally not a 2L from the Dart line-up. lol

^ The dash is the only thing used in the interior. And I'm pretty sure that is just a CarbonFiber overlay - there is no screen.

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
There was an AWD Avenger as a factory option...although it was before they offered the 3.6 in it...

MoparNorm said:
Modification is one thing, however the KL is not competitive with simple mods. All you would end up with is a KL body over a race chassis and Im not sure how that benefits Jeep.
Dart in GRC remains essentially a Dart, Jeep Speed is done with basically stock vehicles, with safety equipment added.
KL couldnt do that.
The Dart in GRC is a Dart body over a race chassis. Doesn't share much if anything with a regular Dart.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
I guess I shouldn't try to be brief... ;)

The GRC Dart retains a lot of the factory suspension and engine layout and drive train, albeit very modified.
A KL, in order to be competitive Offroad could not retain ANYTHING.
The engine would have to change location and layout. The little tiny transaxles and 9 speed, which are integral to the design would have to go, the suspension and configuration would have to go.
When solid axle, 4WD Jeeps race, they remain generally unchanged in concept, in those areas, (components change, but remain in stock packaging format) the KL would be hard to repackage, to be made competitive.
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Jeep back into racing, however this Alfa is unsuited to be that Jeep.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts