Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Resident Photoshop Nerd
8,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a post on fb that suggested this was confirmed.. just curious and wanted to run it by the people here too see if it's legit.

It would be unfortunate if they did, and so much for keeping all the brands. Srt gets people in the showrooms..

·
Super Moderator
37,490 Posts
Doesn't look good:

Of course the official line is the great products will continue...

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Where you sit in the company doesn’t matter. You all don’t have to be in one room. Actually, it’s been almost a year since they have been working from home, all SRT folks separated! Dodge is the high performance brand and that will continue.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I'm very sad if this is true... I like the fact that I use SRT 0W40 Pennzoil in my Truck. Love all the cars, SUV's and trucks these hardcore hot-rodders have built over the years and keep looking forward to the next.

·
Move along, nothing to see here
2,471 Posts
I read a post on fb that suggested this was confirmed.. just curious and wanted to run it by the people here too see if it's legit.

It would be unfortunate if they did, and so much for keeping all the brands. Srt gets people in the showrooms..
SRT isn't its own brand anymore and hasn't been for some time. They tried that experiment with making SRT a nameplate and it didn't last long. Now it's more of a trim or option level.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
The Cars get people in the showroom, not SRT. TRX isnt branded as SRT but we know its work of Chrysler's Finest Performance Engineers... from the Article

"
This action will have the two-way benefit of ensuring that our brands’ SRT and performance-focused product offerings continue to meet the highest quality standards and expectations, while delivering key learnings from motorsports and other high-performance-technology applications across a wider mix of our company’s product lines.
These products have delighted enthusiasts for nearly two decades, and Stellantis will continue to sell and develop the next generation of Dodge//SRT-branded vehicles, as well as Jeep and Ram vehicles that utilize high-performance SRT technology."

·
Well-Known Jeeper
2,944 Posts
SRT should be the performance trim level for Dodge, as it was originally intended. It doesn't belong on Jeep or Chrysler, IMO. Note, that doesn't mean there shouldn't be performance models for those brands. Just that "SRT" as a nameplate is derived from "R/T" and belongs to Dodge.

The SRT engineers moving to other brand teams seems like a good thing, to me. It shows the company is getting ready to create new models for all of the brands, and not just a few niche or specialty models of existing products. The FCA era is over. Let's see what happens next.

·
Registered
981 Posts
The snipper says there will be a next generation of srt and performance cars. While it’s good to know there are plans for future performance, they left it at that. I predict we get one last hurrah. sad to see them go, but in past experience, a generation could last a decade.
the writing is on the wall for the ICE. There will be no room for them in street performance, with many electric cars shaming gas powered rivals. But even then, if srt goes electric to complete, it would loose what made it special.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Where you sit in the company doesn’t matter. You all don’t have to be in one room. Actually, it’s been almost a year since they have been working from home, all SRT folks separated! Dodge is the high performance brand and that will continue.
my dad has deiven mopar since 1955...i started driving in 1970...have driven nothing but mopars!!!

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
100% Mopar for me! Never had anything but......

Just bought a 2021 Pacifica Touring AWD. Just turned 300 miles and it got 27.3 on a freeway, highway and some city driving trip in 16 degree weather. That's pretty good in my book.
Also drove up and down a sloped gravel driveway with 8-9 inches of snow on it. Really liking this vehicle.

·
Administrator
35,774 Posts
Electric cars will need the skills SRT has, too... as long as they still have suspensions and brakes!

I've sometimes wondered why police cars don't get the SRT "comfortable but terrific handling" treatment; instead they get shocks, bushings, and struts seemingly made out of solid steel (with no moving parts, and with coil struts replaced by solid cylinders). Cost?

·
Valued Member
2,356 Posts
I worked in Motorsports my whole career at Chrysler from 1965 - 2007. We were called many things over the years.
In the 60's all of our Performance engines were done by the production engine development group. The engine programs were divided up between the guys in the group and things happened.
There was a "Race Group" in the 60's and 70's which consisted of engine development guys (me for example) and suspension guys and a couple guys in the wind tunnel etc. Nothing formal.
When we got out of NASCAR racing in 1978 the guys who were left ended up doing work for Mopar and thus became the Mopar Performance name, the Direct Connection name and a few others I can't remember right now. All the performance cars of those years was done by regular guys assigned to a program to work on. And therefore came the Road Runner, R/T, Daytona, Superbird etc .
There was never a true "performance car" development group until SRT came along. They tried but things never worked out. There was PVO (Performance Vehicle Operations) and SVO (Specialized Vehicle Operations), then SRT. When we got officially back in NASCAR in 2001 there was established an official organization set up for that. Some of us were working on the Race Truck program starting in 1995 and the Touring Car Program but that was in addition to our regular jobs. "Performance and Racing" were touchy subjects in all those years. Depending on who was running the company those programs came and went on the whim of the guy running the company. Public image and perception was another big factor which affected these programs. And of course who can't forget the Clean Air Act of 1970 and the gas shortage of 1974. All these things affected performance and racing to the companies.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
SRT should be the performance trim level for Dodge, as it was originally intended. It doesn't belong on Jeep or Chrysler, IMO. Note, that doesn't mean there shouldn't be performance models for those brands. Just that "SRT" as a nameplate is derived from "R/T" and belongs to Dodge.

The SRT engineers moving to other brand teams seems like a good thing, to me. It shows the company is getting ready to create new models for all of the brands, and not just a few niche or specialty models of existing products. The FCA era is over. Let's see what happens next.
SRT was never originally intended to be with Dodge. The original Team was called PVO (Team Viper before that) and was the group responsible for The 1st Viper and Prowler projects. it wasnt until 2003? that they started Branding Themselves as SRT with SRT-4 and Viper "SRT10". SRT was meant to be Chrysler LLC Tuning division.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Electric cars will need the skills SRT has, too... as long as they still have suspensions and brakes!

I've sometimes wondered why police cars don't get the SRT "comfortable but terrific handling" treatment; instead they get shocks, bushings, and struts seemingly made out of solid steel (with no moving parts, and with coil struts replaced by solid cylinders). Cost?
Guess is that cop cars have to drive through rutted fields, pot hole ridden streets, and do sweet jumps over rail road tracks.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Guess is that cop cars have to drive through rutted fields, pot hole ridden streets, and do sweet jumps over rail road tracks.
And jump curbs, you need 6" of ground clearance in front of the front wheels. You don't need rubber band low profile tires and 20" alloy wheels that will bend in the first pothole.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Turn out the light..the party’s over. FCA was paying out a lot of money in emissions penalties. I’m sure Stellantis wants those charges off the books. Those regs are only going to get worse.

·
Registered
2 Posts

We'll see what happens now that FCA doesn't exist, but is now Stellantis.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts