21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
13,029 Posts
Reactions: jimboy and tlc

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
V8 performance cars may be coming to an end. There are.still plenty of options for performance with smaller engines and electric cars. Yes it’s not the same but it still can be fun. I rented a AWD Charger GT two years ago and I had a lot of fun with it and I averaged over 28 MPG. The only thing I missed was the sound of the V8. However the V6 sounded pretty good.

Reactions: tlc and Tony K

·
Registered
864 Posts
No way are performance cars done. Look at what the evs can do. You can have a whole range of ev that cover performance and economy
V8 performance cars may be coming to an end. There are.still plenty of options for performance with smaller engines and electric cars. Yes it’s not the same but it still can be fun. I rented a AWD Charger GT two years ago and I had a lot of fun with it and I averaged over 28 MPG. The only thing I missed was the sound of the V8. However the V6 sounded pretty good.
Plug in hybrids take all of the worry associated with BEVs away. Quick fuel ups, use either infrastructure, no need to worry about energy price fluctuation.

No need for more than a turbo 4, let the electric motors take care of the rest.

·
Registered
254 Posts
It is sad to see the SRT guys disbanded but it if they can be used more successfully elsewhere in the company more power to them....I don't see full scale electrification being mainstream in the next 10 years but it is a rapidly growing market but Hybrids powertrains are going to be the next step forward until the North American market gets a set standards on charging networks and get reliable charging stations.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Performance cars are not going anywhere lol.
SRT should be the performance trim level for Dodge, as it was originally intended. It doesn't belong on Jeep or Chrysler, IMO. Note, that doesn't mean there shouldn't be performance models for those brands. Just that "SRT" as a nameplate is derived from "R/T" and belongs to Dodge.

The SRT engineers moving to other brand teams seems like a good thing, to me. It shows the company is getting ready to create new models for all of the brands, and not just a few niche or specialty models of existing products. The FCA era is over. Let's see what happens next.
Agreed,

Dodge = SRT
RAM = TRX
Jeep = Trackhawk
Chrysler = Maybe Firepower, GTS, TNT (name for the old 440s), or Highline?

·
Registered
864 Posts
They said that back in the 70's when insurance rates skyrocketed and the Clean Air Act was passed.
Everybody was wrong as usual.
They died for a decade until the engineers figured out how to make cars fast with emission controls. BEVs are already fast and long range at $100K. The problems left to solve are cost and everything related to charging from the power plant to the plug on the car. Thankfully we will have hybrids to get us through until the problems are solved, if they ever are.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Nothing is changing folks; it is more of an org change than anything else.
Nothing is changing in the short term at the Charger/Challenger/Wrangler/Ram 1500 level that is the only thing some on here care about. PSA FWD/AWD platforms and the capacity to build them mean changes that will allow Stellantis to stop buying credits from Tesla. In the performance area it means the return of SRT4 level compact and midsize cars and SUVs.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Nothing is changing in the short term at the Charger/Challenger/Wrangler/Ram 1500 level that is the only thing some on here care about. PSA FWD/AWD platforms and the capacity to build them mean changes that will allow Stellantis to stop buying credits from Tesla. In the performance area it means the return of SRT4 level compact and midsize cars and SUVs.
I can say it yet again. You don't have idea what had happened behind the scene during the pandemic and which projects are green lit. FCA, back then was FCA, made a push with a lot of projects on one particular platform, one FCA platform.

·
Administrator
35,774 Posts
And jump curbs, you need 6" of ground clearance in front of the front wheels. You don't need rubber band low profile tires and 20" alloy wheels that will bend in the first pothole.
That does explain the wheels and tires but not the shocks and struts. The original RWD SRT car drove like a police car, then they discovered ways to increase traction while smoothing the ride. Is it really the steel wheels that do that to the police cars? (Not asking rhetorically.)

·
Move along, nothing to see here
2,471 Posts
Guys, what exactly would the SRT team be working on right now anyway? From a development perspective the Hellcat project was pretty much wrapped up years ago. There isn't much engineering that needs to be done once they're in production. With no new models for Dodge in the queue, what is there to work on? Just going to leave the SRT group to sit around for another 3 or 4 years until Stellantis figures out what they're doing with Dodge and Chrysler? They're still around but it makes sense they've been reassigned to the other brands because what else could they possibly do to the currently Charger, Challenger, or Durango aside from paint, decal, or option packages?

·
Registered
864 Posts
That does explain the wheels and tires but not the shocks and struts. The original RWD SRT car drove like a police car, then they discovered ways to increase traction while smoothing the ride. Is it really the steel wheels that do that to the police cars? (Not asking rhetorically.)
That's pretty much the reason for the stiff HD shocks/struts. If anything heavier wheels will act as a damper.

"A lighter wheel which readily rebounds from road bumps will have more grip and more constant grip when tracking over an imperfect road. For this reason, lighter wheels are sought especially for high-performance applications. However, the lighter wheel will soak up less vibration. The irregularities of the road surface will transfer to the cabin through the suspension and hence ride quality and road noise are worse."

·
Valued Member
2,356 Posts
It is sad to see the SRT guys disbanded but it if they can be used more successfully elsewhere in the company more power to them....I don't see full scale electrification being mainstream in the next 10 years but it is a rapidly growing market but Hybrids powertrains are going to be the next step forward until the North American market gets a set standards on charging networks and get reliable charging stations.
Here is a picture of the SRT / Dodge Motorsports Group taken in the SRT Garage in 2007. Great days at CTC.
IMG_3031.JPG

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I would suspect cost. The non-adaptive suspension were Bilstein front and Nivomat self-leveling rears (changed to Bilstein later presumably for cost? or perhaps they performed better? Unsure)
These likely cost at least $100 a vehicle more, if not far more than that, for the cop parts.
This says nothing for the far more costly Brembos and the knuckles which are different from the non-SRT models!

21 - 40 of 82 Posts