Allpar Forums banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
That does explain the wheels and tires but not the shocks and struts. The original RWD SRT car drove like a police car, then they discovered ways to increase traction while smoothing the ride. Is it really the steel wheels that do that to the police cars? (Not asking rhetorically.)
I'm guessing it's all about maintenance costs, particularly for large agencies and multi-agency group purchases, especially knowing what police cars go through and having known guys that work on them (mostly Panthers back when) and steelies are easily beaten back into shape and welded much more readily, if it even becomes necessary. You'd probably have to be a highly experienced TIG welder to weld alloys, and that's no small feat, not to mention more expensive and time consuming.

As an aside, a former co-worker from my Camp Atterbury days, who was our M1A1 tank master gunner, teaches welding at the Columbus, IN IVY Tech branch (north by the airport), is teaching me TIG welding (WELD 208). He had me MIG spot weld a backstrap between the two flat plates for the 1G butt weld lab. My only welding experience before the class was years of watching Dad do farm welding work (all basic stick SMAW, including a huge project in the mid-80s). My 6 MIG spots look darn near immaculate compared to some of my TIG work after 3 Saturdays. Granted I didn't have to set up the GMAW/MIG process, but that stuff is simple compared to TIG/GTAW.

·
Super Moderator
37,490 Posts
I'm guessing it's all about maintenance costs, particularly for large agencies and multi-agency group purchases, especially knowing what police cars go through and having known guys that work on them (mostly Panthers back when) and steelies are easily beaten back into shape and welded much more readily, if it even becomes necessary. You'd probably have to be a highly experienced TIG welder to weld alloys, and that's no small feat, not to mention more expensive and time consuming.
It's unlikely any big agency would do anything other than replace a bent wheel, steel or not, because steel wheels are cheap and repairs aren't always safe. Many people don't know that (for many agencies) once a tire is punctured they won't put it back in service even if it's an easy plug or patch because it's not safe at high speeds and the heat they generate. Used tire dealers buy these "scrap" tires and patch and sell to the public.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
No way are performance cars done. Look at what the evs can do. You can have a whole range of ev that cover performance and economy
Please don't be offended. IMO, EVs, regardless of how quick and fast they are, are not performance cars in my book. I will never spend my hard earned money on an electric car, period. There is much more to performance than just performance. Luckily for me, they have built plenty of Hellcats. I will be more than willing to buy a used Hellcat Charger in the near future.

·
Registered
13,028 Posts
Please don't be offended. IMO, EVs, regardless of how quick and fast they are, are not performance cars in my book. I will never spend my hard earned money on an electric car, period. There is much more to performance than just performance. Luckily for me, they have built plenty of Hellcats. I will be more than willing to buy a used Hellcat Charger in the near future.
The current EV technology will allow you to have momentary bursts of performance, then the computers dial back the power due to over-heating. They are not suitable for pursuit work or sustained performance at this time.

Reactions: danbek

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
So what dictates performance to you?

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,901 Posts
I will never spend my hard earned money on an electric car, period.
If there is one thing in life I've learned to "Never say never".

I see the advantages/disadvantages of ICE and EV vehicles. Neither are perfect, but they are better (IMHO) than riding a horse or steam engine.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Performance cars will never be gone. Enthusiast cars will. I can't see a group of guys hanging out at the Walmart parking lot bragging about how many kW of power their batteries generate. It's a sad day, but we all knew the party couldn't last forever.

As the old saying goes, "all good things must come to an end."

Reactions: tlc

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,901 Posts
Performance cars will never be gone. Enthusiast cars will. I can't see a group of guys hanging out at the Walmart parking lot bragging about how many kW of power their batteries generate. It's a sad day, but we all knew the party couldn't last forever.

As the old saying goes, "all good things must come to an end."
Yeah, I can't see my grandson (now 5) grasping what his grandpa (me) finds so fascinating about the rumble of a Hemi V8. I can just hear him - "You mean it burns gas and you actually have to drive it? What is that loud rumble?" He just won't get it.

When I was a little older (about 8 or 9) than he is now, I was simply fascinated by race cars (drag racing, NASCAR, Indy, Formula 1) and couldn't wait until I could have a car. I don't think he will be. His Dad is a computer geek and doesn't talk about cars except Tesla.

I still say there's nothing like the rumble of a V8.

·
Jeepaholic
5,720 Posts
Yeah, I can't see my grandson (now 5) grasping what his grandpa (me) finds so fascinating about the rumble of a Hemi V8. I can just hear him - "You mean it burns gas and you actually have to drive it? What is that loud rumble?" He just won't get it.

When I was a little older (about 8 or 9) than he is now, I was simply fascinated by race cars (drag racing, NASCAR, Indy, Formula 1) and couldn't wait until I could have a car. I don't think he will be. His Dad is a computer geek and doesn't talk about cars except Tesla.

I still say there's nothing like the rumble of a V8.
My son is 6, and he has about a thousand Matchbox and Hot Wheels cars. I just got him some more for his Valentine's Day gift bag...because what screams love more than some Hot Wheels cars? :LOL:

But he loves cars, and my daughter does too to an extent. They love spotting similar cars to what we have, and also...Jeeps! Go figure :LOL:. I'm doing my best to pass the love of cars down to my kids, and my brother is too with all of his vintage Jeeps and other vehicles, and they seem receptive to it. So hopefully the automotive love will continue on...in whatever form it may take when they are older. Whatever powers the wheels, there will probably always be "cars".

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Maybe the end of Street and Racing Technology but the beginning of Stellantis Racing Technology... ?
No. Just the end of the engineering division that designs it. SRT brand lives on. I had to point that out on another automotive website that was saying SRT brand is no more when their article quotes a Stellantis rep saying exactly the opposite.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well one down, now hopefully they will fold Ram back in to Dodge. They don't know what to do with Dodge anyway, people still call it the Dodge Ram and Chrysler could then be the car and Crossover brand or simply the North American Opel.

Hell even the Dodge Grand Caravan could make sense again as it would be a utility vehicle.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Reading comments and watching youtubers they all say no more Hellcats,Scatpacks or Hemi as of now LOL They think they stopped making them! They even say the RAM TRX is no more! LOL

·
Jeepaholic
5,720 Posts
Reading comments and watching youtubers they all say no more Hellcats,Scatpacks or Hemi as of now LOL They think they stopped making them! They even say the RAM TRX is no more! LOL
I try not to read the comment sections anymore (and like a moth to a flame, I more often than not fail and still read them). But I find the level of stupidity and/or willful ignorance in the world seems to have risen to epic proportions. Perhaps it was always so....lol.

41 - 60 of 82 Posts