Allpar Forums banner

61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Yeah, I can't see my grandson (now 5) grasping what his grandpa (me) finds so fascinating about the rumble of a Hemi V8. I can just hear him - "You mean it burns gas and you actually have to drive it? What is that loud rumble?" He just won't get it.
That's exactly my point. It's sad.

The quest to mechanize and automate every aspect of life is going to bite society in the *** one day. The "good ol' days" are called that for a reason.

·
Jeepaholic
5,720 Posts
On a brighter note, today while I was driving my kids home from school, they were picking out cars and trucks in the traffic that matched the brands we own currently. My son stopped in mid sentence, and exclaimed, “WOW, that one is my favorite!” It was a 392 Charger, in black. 😀

·
Jeepaholic
5,720 Posts
You are bringing himup right!?!!!!!!!!!
I can say I’m doing my best, but he seeks this stuff out on his Kindle on his own. He loves shows that involve cars, trucks, and construction equipment. He loves “muscle cars” (who doesn’t? Lol. He has multiple Challengers and Chargers in Matchbox and Hot Wheels form...they’ve always been favorites, even before he could talk. The boy is a natural...and says he wants to be an engineer. 😀

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I find the level of stupidity and/or willful ignorance in the world seems to have risen to epic proportions. Perhaps it was always so....lol.
Pretty much the latter.

That's exactly my point. It's sad.

The quest to mechanize and automate every aspect of life is going to bite society in the *** one day. The "good ol' days" are called that for a reason.
You can call them "the good ol' days," and every generation talks about "the good ol' days," but very few people really would go back 50 years. Now, going back 30 years for me would take some adjusting because of the internet, but otherwise, not a whole lot would really change. There is so much more information at your fingertips now, and you couldn't have a conversation on the internet with someone on the other side of the world without getting a Ham Radio license and expensive equipment, making an expensive international phone call, or writing your penpal, which may take a week just to get the letter. We can access information now on a phone just about universally in the developed world that we may not have even known about 30 years ago. On top of that, if you take a trip and forget to change your thermostat, now you just grab your phone.

Reactions: tlc and Zagnut27

·
Super Moderator
37,491 Posts
I can recognize "corporate speak" when I hear it. Of course, Ralph is going to tow the company line.

It's too soon to know if this is good, bad, or nothing.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I can recognize "corporate speak" when I hear it. Of course, Ralph is going to tow the company line.

They may not have an SRT title below their email signatures... but that doesn't change a damn thing.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Electric cars will need the skills SRT has, too... as long as they still have suspensions and brakes!

I've sometimes wondered why police cars don't get the SRT "comfortable but terrific handling" treatment; instead they get shocks, bushings, and struts seemingly made out of solid steel (with no moving parts, and with coil struts replaced by solid cylinders). Cost?
Definitely cost.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
If there is one thing in life I've learned to "Never say never".

I see the advantages/disadvantages of ICE and EV vehicles. Neither are perfect, but they are better (IMHO) than riding a horse or steam engine.
I bet back in the day there were people saying,”You’ll never see me in one of those mechanical buggies”
Lol!

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
SRT (engineering) isn’t going anywhere.
I always hated SRT (moniker) to be honest. In my mind, this is where the R/T badge was supposed to sit.
Making it a brand was idiotic, to say the least. Don’t worry, there’ll be performance cars.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts

I believe the term you're looking for is "toe the line" - think like you're at a track meet.

Reactions: Erik Latranyi

·
Registered
393 Posts
SRT (engineering) isn’t going anywhere.
I always hated SRT (moniker) to be honest. In my mind, this is where the R/T badge was supposed to sit.
Making it a brand was idiotic, to say the least. Don’t worry, they’ll be performance cars.
The "absorption" of SRT into FCA actually occured over a year ago... it's just these idiot writers trying to get clicks and viewers to their websites.

The SRT Engineering staff were employed with FCA, and now Stellantis. Don't worry.

(Please exclude Patrick Rall from my above statement. I hope that was a given and I meant him no offense.)

·
Administrator
35,774 Posts
The "absorption" of SRT into FCA actually occured over a year ago... it's just these idiot writers trying to get clicks and viewers to their websites.

The SRT Engineering staff were employed with FCA, and now Stellantis. Don't worry.
Let's exclude Patrick, who had an honest story that he reported, trying to get ahead of the BS rumors.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't know. It just seems much ado about nothing. Fact is they're fixing mistakes that FCA made. This brand proliferation did not need to happen. They did it to themselves.

Imagine if FCA had done the following in the US Market:
Dodge: Mainstream trucks, vans and SUV's/Crossovers(Basically Ram currently plus Durango, Caravan and Grand Caravan) Could be named Dodge and Dodge Professional.
Chrysler: Cars, sports cars, hatchbacks, Crossovers(Akin to Buick or Acura) utilizing the Fiat platforms and Mazda Miata platform.
Jeep: Offroad trucks/SUV's.
Alfa Romeo: Full line luxury brand(catering to Mercedes/BMW/Audi crowd)
Maserati: Top tier Luxury brand, no sedans as the focus would be on coupes, convertibles and SUV's(Porsche)
Ferrari: As they are.

Fiat, Lancia and any other brands would not be launched in North America. In Europe to regain some of the investment Chrysler's line would be Lancia(I still think this could work). If they needed large MPV's or pickups they could be rebadged as Fiat/Fiat Professional in Europe.

Jeep, Alfa, Maserati and Ferrari would be worldwide brands.

No excess brands, no overlap, no creating something and forcing people to adapt(Ahem Ram) and low end cars with low margins would never had been force fed in to the market.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Ferrari: As they are.
Pretty much, since they haven't been part of FCA since late 2015. That's where a bunch of money ($4 Bn) came from that funded FCA when everyone here was complaining about being "robbed" by AR and Fiat. FCA owned 90% of Ferarri to that point.

Reactions: ScramFan
61 - 80 of 82 Posts