Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the things in the Auto world are heating up a little more: via Motor Trend, SRT just introduced its new track-friendly model of the Viper-- the TA. This new model comes with a dual-mode suspension like the GTS, but instead of track and street modes, we get smooth track and rough track settings. Also included in the package are some of the parts introduced at SEMA from the Mopar catellogue: CF x-brace, rear spoiler extension, front winglets, and CF interior goodies. Along with Thicker, wider brakes and removed emblems (for minute weight savings), This car ran a 1:32.62, beating the ZR-1 (on stickier tires, mind you) by .08 seconds.

I'll just let you guys read the whole article here:
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1303_2014_srt_viper_ta/viewall.html

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
MT really hits Ralph on this one.....and they seem to be right in some ways.

I like Ralph and want to see the Viper trash the Corvette. But this opens the door for the new Corvette to stage a comeback.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Remember though, when Corvette responds to this, SRT will then release the ACR(GTS-R?), which will make this look tame by comparison. We're talking 1000 lbs more downforce at Vmax than the TA, stickier rubber, possibly hose attachments for the brake ducts, and who knows what else.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Erik Latranyi said:
... But this opens the door for the new Corvette to stage a comeback.
IMHO, Motor Trend has played this very well. They want to sell magazines, and what should have been just a single story is now (or will be) a three part series...

Reactions: GasAxe

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
Thumper said:
IMHO, Motor Trend has played this very well. They want to sell magazines, and what should have been just a single story is now (or will be) a three part series...
Exactly.

Glad to see it happen though. The Viper is the record holder at Mazda Raceway/Leguna Seca again

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
The car is basically the Mopar Package that was shown Chicago, they just made it a "Package Option" for the standard Viper.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
dakrt99 said:
Huge hat tip to Chrysler! They didn't just roll over and die, they up'd their game and fought back.
basically what GM Did with the Zr1 to beat the 2008 ACR. but unfortunately for GM... this wasnt no ACR :excited:

·
Registered
874 Posts
I think we all know that when all is said and done, the ACR will be the dominant force in American Muscle.

.. but just to pour a little more salt in the wound.. we will prove it at Le mans.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
LXbuilder said:
...or new ZR1.
Yup. The ZR1's magnetorheological shocks and carbon-ceramic brakes are still much more advanced than the Viper's. If GM put the same aero and carbon-fiber stuff on the ZR1 that SRT did to the Viper - coupled with the ZR1's better tires - it would not be pretty for the Viper.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
AutoTechnician said:
Yup. The ZR1's magnetorheological shocks and carbon-ceramic brakes are still much more advanced than the Viper's. If GM put the same aero and carbon-fiber stuff on the ZR1 that SRT did to the Viper - coupled with the better tires - it would not be pretty for the Viper.
better street-legal tires than the MPSC? what would that be, better MPSCs?

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
kdaviper said:
better street-legal tires than the MPSC? what would that be, better MPSCs?
I'm saying the current ZR1 still has better brakes, suspension and tires than the Viper. I revised my post to remove ambiguity.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Actually The Aero Kit thats on the TA wasnt in use (or at Full use) since its rated at 300lbs @ 150mph... the Top speed of the Viper on the Track was 140mph.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
The new ZR1 is still a ways off. It's intro may coincide somewhat with the ACR's. I don't know what they'll do with the ZR1. Will they turn it into a track beast similar to the ACR, or leave it the Super Duper GT it is right now? Gilles also promised us a Viper vs ZR1:Farnbacher vs Pobst rematch. THAT is what I want to see. Farnbacher is wicked, wicked fast.

Right now, the interwebs, are saying that one of the major reasons the ACR will take so long, is because of the competition (MPSC style) tires Pirelli is supposedly developing. I am also willing to bet that Gilles and Co. want to get some track time, test laps, and race laps in on the production Vipers. That way they will know what to do to the ACR. I just wish RG would drop a hint as to something about what they are thinking about for the ACR.

Heck, I'd like to see a "Sea Biscuit" match race between team Viper (Kendall, Farbacher, and the GTS-R) and Corvette Racing (Milner, Magnussen, and the C6.R).

EDIT: Great track cars are made/evolved, not born. This new Vipe' has a LOT of speed potential still untapped. Heck, a two year old show queen beat ZR1 (and everyone else), by a very wide margin at the 'Ring. A 2012 ZR1, on MPSC, with the go fast speed bits, could not come anywhere near the time of a TWO THOUSAND TEN-OUT OF PRODUCTION ACR from a Texas dealer's showroom.

All this hooey is just the roadies doing mike checks and tuning guitars before the real show begins. "Mr ACR. Your limousine is ready. Would you like some Pinot on your way to the track?"

·
Registered
384 Posts
Remove the additional Displacement (Supercharger) from the Corvette ZR-1 and what do you get????

Just a Regular Corvette, with absolutely no competittion at all!!!!!

The Corvette is a Joke.

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
BigDaddySRT said:
The Corvette is a Joke.
Possibly, but it beat a Ferrari at Sebring. ;)
It may not beat the Viper at the next race.

·
3,813 Posts
AutoTechnician said:
Yup. The ZR1's magnetorheological shocks and carbon-ceramic brakes are still much more advanced than the Viper's. If GM put the same aero and carbon-fiber stuff on the ZR1 that SRT did to the Viper - coupled with the ZR1's better tires - it would not be pretty for the Viper.
The ZR1 does have additional carbon fiber parts similar to the TA... It has more downforce than your standard Vette, its basically the Z07 package with a Supercharger in many ways...

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
BigDaddySRT said:
Remove the additional Displacement (Supercharger) from the Corvette ZR-1 and what do you get????

Just a Regular Corvette, with absolutely no competittion at all!!!!!

The Corvette is a Joke.
If by regular Corvette, you mean one with $15,000 carbon-ceramic brakes, MSPC tires and some of the most advanced dampers in the world, then yes, taking the supercharger off it just leaves you with a regular Corvette. What happens if you take the turbo off an SRT4? You have a 2.4L economy sedan. What happens if you put a V6 in the Viper? You have a two-door "sporty" coupe. I fail to see how that is a valid argument at all.

The ZR1 does have additional carbon fiber parts similar to the TA... It has more downforce than your standard Vette, its basically the Z07 package with a Supercharger in many ways...
Thanks for the information.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts