Allpar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SRX Series News & Discussion

The SRX is a new racing league started by Tony Stewart and Ray Evernham. The league is to bring racing back to basics. A race car that can race on local short tracks both dirt and asphalt. The cars were designed by Ray Evernham (Jeff Gordon crew chief and guy who led Dodge's charge in NASCAR). Evernham himself has said the cars were heavily inspired by the Dodge Challenger because this guy loves his Mopar.

The league will have drivers from many different racing leagues, such as NASCAR, Indy, dirt, rally, sports cars, local racing, etc. Drivers like Tony, Bill Elliott, Bobby Labonte, Greg Biffle, Marco Andretti, and many more.

So lets see how this new league does as it starts up and will be televised on tv by announced Alan Bestwick (longtime NASCAR guy) in June.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Is the Dodge Challenger (or a replica thereof) what will be actually raced?............also with a real Dodge motor and not some Chebbie based spec motor?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is not a Dodge Challenger. The car's design was inspired by a Challenger. The engine for all the cars are the same and are around 700hp I think. All info linked below.

When I posted this topic yesterday, the league wasn't planning to have an official sponsor, and now it does! It is now officially called the SRX Camping World Series.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay so it is official.

SRX Racing Series Gets Major Player as Title Sponsor

Camping World is joining the Superstar Racing Experience (SRX) as the title partner of the six-race short-track series debuting this summer on Saturday nights in primetime on the CBS Television Network and streaming live on the new Paramount+ premium network.

Camping World adds the SRX to a racing portfolio that already includes title sponsorship of the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series and the NHRA Camping World Drag Racing Series.
Read Full Article

·
Registered
210 Posts
"Each will be powered by Ilmor’s 396 engine, a 700-horsepower V8 with 530 ft-lb of torque."

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
"Each will be powered by Ilmor’s 396 engine, a 700-horsepower V8 with 530 ft-lb of torque."
As far as I know, Ilmor has never built a Mopar based "Spec motor" for sale to racers in these type of series. IIRC, their 396 is a Chebbie based motor. I have no interest in watching any series powered by "Brand C" based motors, even if the bodies are slightly resemble Dodge Challengers. I would rather watch Mopar powered Chevys race (like in NHRA) than Chebbie powered Mopars.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FIRST SRX RACE JUNE 12, 2021

Well I figured I would post their upcoming first race which is later this month.
Next week you can catch their first race on tv or in person. Tickets are sold out for the event at Stafford Motor Speedway. It will be June 12, 2021 and will be televised on CBS.

(SRX Car)

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Fun first few heats! Vancouver, Washington native Greg Biffle takes home the first win with a hard charging Bobby Labonte in second! Way to go local guy, Greg Biffle!!! Labonte was just inches behind on his back bumper! Great first race.

Paul Tracy was the first to cause a caution after spinning out, with a little help from the driver behind him. He was able to have his minor damage repaired.

In the second heat, we had a second to last lap pass as local ringer, Doug Coby makes a outside pass on Michael Waltrip for a frilling win in the second heat.

The big wreck in this event collected three drivers, firstly Ribbs spins and two other drivers are collected, with Biffle being rammed from behind.

Up next we have the 100 lap race. Starting in minutes.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
And the main event is complete. After 100 laps, Greg Biffle roared from last to first to lead many laps, and lost it in a hard race with local short track driver Doug Coby! In a final two lap dash to the finish, Coby pulled out a win with Greg Biffle right behind! While unofficial, I believe Tony Stewart came in third and Bobby Labonte in fourth.

What an exciting start to this new series! It provided some awesome racing!

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Fun race to watch. Like the format.

Very interested in the next race at Knoxville, IA on dirt - advantage Stewart and local driver.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree! I enjoyed the race they put on and they will only streamline and improve things as time goes on. I will say the announcing was shaky at times for sure, but I'm really there for the racing. :D I loved the local track feel of it all. The cars themselves looked pretty cool racing around and surprisingly, I caught on fairly quickly with who was driving which car based on color. The numbers are too small to see and if I were them, I would add them on the side instead of the Camping World SRX logo. But overall, it was a hoot!

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Fun race to watch. Like the format.

Very interested in the next race at Knoxville, IA on dirt - advantage Stewart and local driver.

Look for the addition of a WOO driver - probably Donny Schatz who drives for Stewart in the series. WOO has been running several races a year at that track for over 40 years!

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Look for the addition of a WOO driver - probably Donny Schatz who drives for Stewart in the series. WOO has been running several races a year at that track for over 40 years!
What is a WOO driver?

Is that short for World of Outlaws?

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
After the two years of hype, I was mostly disappointed, but will watch for improvement.

As a lifelong fan of stock car racing, I've never been able to become interested in open wheel events of any kind, and that race reminded me more of the latter, though I can't tell you why. That's just one person's observation, not a uncontestable factuality.

What I liked the least was the cars. Generic everything. Body, engines, even the paint scheme, which was gimmicky and unattractive with an attempt to look hip and modern, but came across looking like a Tonka toy painted by the Easter bunny. Historically, stock car racing thrived on difference to fuel the competition...brands, models, colors, graphics, sounds, handling, design ingenuity, driver personalities, pit crew skills, etc. It was only after all those things were controlled to be "fair" that interest in stock car racing began to wane.

I'm also not really enthused about the driver choice. They were all talented drivers at one time, but most are getting too long in the tooth to dig deep enough for perfection behind the wheel. Once in a while at a special event, its fun to watch them get together and laugh it up while everyone recalls past glory and the days of wine and roses, but there comes a time when it becomes proper to sit on a tool box and spin yarns about the good times and the bad times, but not to compete with the new stars. The fact that the "kid" handily beat all those stars driving identical, generic cars made that quite evident.

I'm probably not being "fair" in my criticism, and yes, I am a crotchety old man, but my enthusiasm and fandom will need to be earned, not bought or coerced, or shamed into.

We shall see.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
After the two years of hype, I was mostly disappointed, but will watch for improvement.
Two years? I was announced last year, in fact it hasn't even been a full year yet. With everything that you said if i were you i would just stop watching as its exactly what you don't like/ever liked, it s a modern day iroc

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Two years? I was announced last year, in fact it hasn't even been a full year yet. With everything that you said if i were you i would just stop watching as its exactly what you don't like/ever liked, it s a modern day iroc
It was about two years ago that the first stories about the new series was discussed, but the original concept was rumored to be quite different, at least as far as the cars were concerned. During the prerace interviews it was either Tony or Ray that said it had been in work for two years.

It wasn't really like IROC either, as IROC cars were based on street car models that were not allowed in NASCAR Winston Cup, and during the life of the series they ran Porsche, Chevy, two different Dodges and Pontiac. If I recall correctly, nearly all the drivers were active in their series, with a few invited from other series, and a few retired.

If SRX can meet their promise of moderate expense and competitive racing with a prime time TV package, they might be able to hang on for a couple of years, but they have some issues to resolve before they can grow and prosper, and resolving those issues will take the money they promised wouldn't be needed to succeed.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Inaugural SRX Race Draws In Big Numbers, Beats NASCAR Xfinity and Trucks

The first official SRX racing event took place this past Saturday at 5pm Pacific on CBS. The event drew in 1.33 million viewers which is more than most were expecting. That is good numbers on a Saturday evening. It also beat tv ratings for the NASCAR Xfinity (1.27mil) race and the Camping World Truck Series race events that took place earlier on the same day. The first SRX race took top honors as the most watched auto sporting event on Saturday. The real question is if they can have their audience grow or sustain around that number for the full six week season.

The NASCAR All-Star Race the following day drew in 2.7 million viewers on average. FOX Sport's coverage of NASCAR the entire year so far has drawn in an average of 3.4 million viewers.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Inaugural SRX Race Draws In Big Numbers, Beats NASCAR Xfinity and Trucks

The first official SRX racing event took place this past Saturday at 5pm Pacific on CBS. The event drew in 1.33 million viewers which is more than most were expecting. That is good numbers on a Saturday evening. It also beat tv ratings for the NASCAR Xfinity (1.27mil) race and the Camping World Truck Series race events that took place earlier on the same day. The first SRX race took top honors as the most watched auto sporting event on Saturday. The real question is if they can have their audience grow or sustain around that number for the full six week season.

The NASCAR All-Star Race the following day drew in 2.7 million viewers on average. FOX Sport's coverage of NASCAR the entire year so far has drawn in an average of 3.4 million viewers.
Everyone gets lucky once. Pete Bestwick was not up to his best and Danica ,well, has no personality at all.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Pete Bestwick was not up to his best and Danica ,well, has no personality at all.
Allen Bestwick and Danica Patrick were not that great together, but it was their first time. It was great seeing and hearing Bestwick and Matt Yocum again though. That was a real treat. Danica was very awkward and didn't have good answers at times, but that takes time. It will take awhile for these two to get comfortable and understand each other. So I can't poo poo them on their first go. They're only going to be together for six races, but I am sure we will see them improve their banter over the next five races. :)

A good article on CBS's production for the SRX. I noticed it during the broadcast how they flew the drones right in the action and around the racing the cars. Something they could never do in other sports.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts