Allpar Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed the oil sending unit, flushed engine and put 5W-30 Mobil1 and filter, replaced coolant air bleeder, replaced plugs with platinum's, replaced air filter with a K & N, and put in a new battery. Now sitting at red lights in around 80 degree temp. Oil light begins to flicker again and engine idle shows on the dash about 550 RPM. Then when the fans come on it almost stalls the car. Mechanic buddy told me to spray and clean the throttle body and the IAC, also said he solved the oil light issue by using 10W-40 oil instead of the 5W-30 or 10W-30 the manual calls for. Throttle body cleaning will be done this weekend. Just wondering what the thought was on using the 10W-40 oil. it's a 2004 Sebring Convertible 2.7l and 89,000 mi.

·
Super Moderator
21,363 Posts
Heavier oil viscosity may bring up the pressure enough to keep the light out, but if you do have a low oil pressure problem with the recommended oil you may want to find out why. A mechanical oil pressure gauge can attach to where the sender screws into.
Carbon build up between the throttle bore and blade can restrict air at idle and is certainly a recommended maintenance. Use carb cleaner/solvent, a toothbrush and a rag to clean the area and retry the idle quality.
Use an OEM PCV valve only. May sure that the rubber PCV breather hoses are still firm and not rotted or sucked flat while idling. Make sure that all vacuum hoses are connected at both ends under the hood.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info and advice. Going to work on it this weekend. I'll do the engine flush and try the 10W-40 oil I'll post What I find. Thanks Again

·
Super Moderator
21,363 Posts
What engine flush? Be careful about internal engine solvents/detergents washing out critical lubrication from bearings, etc. If the engine itself is in good condition, I wouldn't recommend an engine flush. See what comes out when draining the old oil first.
Is the underside of the oil filler cap and what you can see inside the valve covers fairly clean with no sludge/tan mayonnaise build-up?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agree with the oil flush maybe hurting it, Just thought with these engines it might be a good idea. Oil filler cap looks normal and the oil when I drained it looked dirty but not bad. Getting different opinions from friends about using 10W-40 oil, some say it would be ok, others don't recommend it. They say to stick with the 5W-30 or 10W-30 as per the owners manual

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Are you sure you don't just have a defective oil sending unit? IDK, I'm just guessing.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it is a new sending unit. but it was a $12.00 autozone cheapy. I guess it could be bad out of the box though, I had that happen before

·
Super Moderator
21,363 Posts
See if you can rent or borrow a mechanical oil pressure gauge. This would remove all doubts about warm idle oil pressure or bad parts.
There was a Chrysler TSB #08-36-99 (Google it) on earlier 2.7L's about replacing the oil switch connector itself as it has to 'vent' the backside of the switch to atmospheric pressure. Discussed here:
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Chrysler-Repair-807/2008/3/Oil-light-flickers-engine.htm

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, thanks for everyone's help and advice. I cleaned the throttle body and changed the PCV valve, it seems to almost be a new car. The idle is much much better and the oil light only seems to flicker when your at a red light for a very long time in the extreme high temps we have been having, so far all is well. Hopefully will be a reliable car!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts