Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I have a 84' GMC Value van 35 / P3500. I had to replace the pressure plate again. it broke 10 mounths after i put a new clutch set in. I also replaced the intake manifold gasket it was leaking oil. got it all back togather. New fuel pump Had a hell of a time getting it to start. Used a timing light to set timing. there is a tube on the timing cover that i assume you use to set it. with the vacuume advance unpluged and blocked the hose up. i adjusted the dist. till the mark was in the center of the tube. When it is cold it will start Ok. takes a few cranks to start. After it warms up it will stall when you take it out of gear and your foot off the gas. It has a edelbrock 1406 carb on it.

Is this a timing issue or a carb problem?

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
The tube at the front crank pulley is for a magnetic timing probe used by the dealer. Don't use it for the timing mark reference or else it will be way off. There should be a plate next to it with the degree advance marks.
I don't know how the carburetor is doing. If it runs better cold when the choke is on and stalling more when warm, the idle mixture may be too lean.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took the carb off and cleaned it out. it had a lot of junk in the bowls. But i lost three parts. I improvised for now, so far it is working till edelbrock sends the right ones. I found the marks with my hand i will have to try to do it in a mirror.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok have the peices that i lost for the carb and i put them in and I am rechecked the timing. when looking at the scale in a mirror i see a there is a deeper v grove followed by 2 more smaller v groves. I assume the deeper grove is top dead center.and the smaller v groves are the 2deg marks. on the air cleaner it says 4deg BTDC @ 700 rpm. do you put the mark at the point or at the valley of the grove?

·
Super Moderator
31,984 Posts
Valley. But the difference is negligible.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
For your pressure plate, check the pilot bearing on the flywheel. If it is any bit out of spec it will eventually lunch the pressure plate.

Hope this helps.

Gerry G.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts