Allpar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys

Im buying a used starter for my 98 Neon. The seller has one from 95- will it fit my 98? Rockauto shows difference.......

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
I don't think it will work. Something had to have changed because even Autozone and Advance Auto Parts show different starters for both vehicles. I wouldn't take the chance if I were you. You may mess up the flywheel and then you'll be in deep do-do.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Without the two starters next to each other, hard to say what the differences are. It may be nothing more than the wire connection/bracket that is different, but enough that the average person could not make it work. I don't think it is the gear that engages the starter that is different, that is a pretty standard part throughout the Neon history.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My theory was a difference in wires/bracket-hmm.. bothering case this, i quess ill end up with a double package of starters,

The good part is that a have a 95 Neon as well......

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think that the connectors for the battery cable are different. Go to an auto parts store and ask to see 1 of each.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
update:

I installed the 95 starter on my 98 today with sucsess. There is a difference in the connector(not the big pluss- that is similar).

I managed to solve the problem without cutting the original connector off. I did that by just adding a wire to the original connector-wire, and using a flatpin-connector on the end. The flatpin will go into the 98 socket .

If you want to use a 98 starter on the 95 car(opposite of what i did) you will have to use a flat-pin that is narrower, - its only 3mm wide.

But thing is that the are interchangable with a little extra work.

By the way- my starter wasnt bad-the problem was the pluss-wire to the starter(looked good but was dead)

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
OK, good to hear. There may be a possibility that whole section could be swapped from starter to starter, or should I say, all the components swapped from inside the case to the outer case you need. That would be the next experiment in components, take the two apart next to each other and mic everything to see if there are differences internally. Sure would help in the future when it comes to finding/adapting new parts from a pile of junk, right?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think that may be possible- the where three screws on the solinoid that you may open it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts