Allpar Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So awhile back, I diagnosed my click-no crank situation as bad contacts in the starter solenoid. It would ALWAYS do this with engine cold, and NEVER do it on a hot start. It also didn't do it when ambient temp was above 85F. So I bought a kit of parts to replace the plunger and contacts, several months ago.

Today I finally got to the job. On the 4WD 1992 Dakota, the starter is all but inaccessible. It's buried in front of the exhaust downpipe, behind the front suspension and above the transfer case. The FSM says to get at the two mounting bolts, drop the splash shield and use a 2-foot extension. For the bottom stud/nut, it says to disconnect the steering shaft and move it aside. Well I can tell you, that ain't happening.

So I did what others have done. I removed the LF wheel and the wheelwell shield. That allowed me to get at the top bolt directly with a 3" extension and a 5/8" deepwell socket. A long ratchet didn't have enough room between the frame rail and steering shaft to click, so I used a shorter 3/8" drive ratchet with a copper pipe over the end as a breaker bar, and it worked.

For the bottom stud/nut, I stacked two 6" and a 3" extension with the socket, and fed it through the suspension, and was able to use a ratchet from below. Unfortunately, the stud unscrewed with the nut. So although I rebuilt the solenoid fine, I am struggling to re-install the starter. It's completely blind below. There is no hope of removing the nut from the stud, it's virtually welded on with rust. Can't even see the seam between the stud and nut on one side. Only other option is to find a new nut and stud. Installing the starter isn't bad if the bottom stud is already in.

As expected, the contacts were burned away. One side only had 1/4 of the metal thickness, the other side about half. The kit was $35 and very easy to install.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Had the same problem on both of our 2002 Liberty's...within three weeks of each other.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts