Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a one owner/driver 2006 NA PT. It has no rust and has recently had a tune up and new battery. After the first start of the day, when I start it, it turns over at about 450 RPM without the usual bump up in RPM's upon cranking. Usually the car will catch and start but sometimes it will misfire for about 30 seconds and then even out. It will throw a code P300 - P304. Otherwise it runs great. It has been well maintained and has 162,000 miles on it. Thanks for any help with thus.

·
Super Moderator
32,162 Posts
Check battery voltage with engine off, just before starting. If it has fallen below 12V, then there is a battery or charging system problem.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Welcome to the forum :)

Can you confirm when and if the timing belt has ever been changed?

Reactions: chuzz

·
Registered
8,161 Posts
Sounds like a loose or dirty ground connection to me. But, I'm NOT a mechanic.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
If the EGR is stuck partially open, not closing fully, it will cause a lean condition that will be most noticeable when the motor is cold. The ergr still passes the OBD test as it is still able to open fully and have the proper result while driving.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If the EGR is stuck partially open, not closing fully, it will cause a lean condition that will be most noticeable when the motor is cold. The ergr still passes the OBD test as it is still able to open fully and have the proper result while driving.
Thanks, I'll check.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Thanks, I'll check.
I don't believe your '06 has an EGR.

Reactions: djsamuel

·
Registered
8,161 Posts
Hmmmm, I'd have that new battery load tested just to make you THAT'S not the issue. I've seen bad batteries come right off the rack when brand new. Rare, but it does happen.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
You may be looking at a small vacuum leak that leans out the air/fuel mix and affects cold starts only.

·
Super Moderator
37,490 Posts
It's possible the coolant temperature sensor is faulty (but not do far out of range to cause an error code) and not enriching the mixture enough for a cold engine.

Reactions: chuzz
1 - 20 of 20 Posts