Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 526 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I recently purchased a pretty solid '55 Plymouth Plaza Suburban. It's a flathead six, three-speed manual column shift. The wiring harness is a rat's nest of splices, electrical tape, and cheap wiring terminals. Rather than try to fix that mess, I've ordered an American Autowire harness and a 12V conversion kit. It runs like a top. I'd forgotten how smooth straight sixes are. Looking forward to getting into this one and having it for cruise ins and car shows next year.
phpH3ZnHaPM.jpg

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The surfboards didn't come with the car. I took the homemade roof racks off right away. We're looking over color chips and trying to decide where we're going to take it.

·
Super Moderator
13,931 Posts
Seems fitting. I bought the car out of Michigan.
Michigan?!

Admittedly the 1955-56 Mopars had fewer rust problems than at least the 1957 models but, your long roof looks like it lived its whole life in California. :eek:

Too; IF you ever decide to go V8, it was a factory option starting 1955 in your car. :)

Do you plan to convert to disc brakes or, do a full overhaul on your present system?

·
Super Moderator
13,931 Posts
The surfboards didn't come with the car. I took the homemade roof racks off right away. We're looking over color chips and trying to decide where we're going to take it.
Your car but; I'd leave it the way it is for now and, if the blue still isn't right, you can always repaint down the road.

Reactions: 06PTElectricBlue

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Michigan?!

Admittedly the 1955-56 Mopars had fewer rust problems than at least the 1957 models but, your long roof looks like it lived its whole life in California. :eek:

Too; IF you ever decide to go V8, it was a factory option starting 1955 in your car. :)

Do you plan to convert to disc brakes or, do a full overhaul on your present system?
The seller said it came out of New Mexico in '91. There's a little rust in the cowl, lower right fender, and right rocker. Pretty solid overall. I'll likely get a disc brake adapter from rustyhope and do the conversion. I'd love to find a solid Hy-Fire V8, but it's not a priority.

·
Registered
8,280 Posts
Beautiful wagon. Enjoy the ride man. Not many of those still around.

Reactions: 06PTElectricBlue

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've got an American Autowire harness, a 12V conversion kit from Vintage Auto Garage, and an HEI distributor from Landon's Stovebolt on order.

·
Valued Member
2,422 Posts
With that HEI ignition system you will be able to put those old plugs back in and they will be cleaned instantly.:D
Growing up on the east side of Detroit back in the 40's, 50's, and 60's all my relatives and most of my neighbors all worked for Chrysler at one time or another. One of my uncles, who worked at Dodge Main, had a 55 Belvedere automatic with the shift lever on the dash and everyone thought that was cool. When I met my future wife in 1964 she had just bought a new Corvair Monza with you know what................a shift lever on the dash. Must have been fate of some sort.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
FastEddie, was your post cut short, I missed the part about you driving an A100 at the time with the shifter on the dash!!!

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This past weekend, I scored a driver's door with glass, upper dash, lower dash, steering wheel, knuckles, grill (in poor shape), arm rests, and some interior trim for $300. My door has a hole drilled through it for a spotlight and a broken window. Taking into account the cost of patching my current door and replacing the glass, I'm very happy to have gotten what I got for what I paid.

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
I went to America Autowire website and seemed to be a GM but no Chrysler support. Need a harness for my 66 ply. Did I miss something?

1 - 20 of 526 Posts