Allpar Forums banner

481 - 500 of 526 Posts

·
Registered
6,138 Posts
Just had a retro moment. You should have spark plugs WITHOUT extended tip. Never was even an issue until extended plugs became available with higher compression engines. You would have had something like a N12 - N14 originally. No letters after indicating extended tip. Not sure who stocks unless small engine repair shops. A lot of Briggs come with non-extended plugs.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #486
I put the .050 washers on the plugs today and reset the gaps. That should buy enough clearance. After it's run a few times, I might try the .040 washers although I am not confident those will provide enough clearance.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #489
I was having a devil of a time setting the timing. Eventually, I realized the 0 I was seeing was part of a 10. So, I finally took some sandpaper to the pulley and found the "DC" marks hiding under years of rust and crud. I hit it with some brake cleaner then some white model paint and wiped off the excess with my finger. That made it easier.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #490
I drove it from Frederick to Hagerstown yesterday for the weekly cruise in at the Valley Mall. First I've had it over 50mph since last summer. It pulled pretty well for such an old girl. I was able to maintain the 70mph speed limit even on the long grades. I may have to pull a little timing out of it as it detonated just a little near the tops of the biggest grades. Now that it's gotten good and hot, I may do a comprehensive lubricant change again (engine oil, transmission, differential).

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #491
I realized that the spring I fitted to my wiper arm, while a significant improvement over what was there, just wasn't really strong enough to pull the blade firmly against the glass. So, I installed a pair of ANCO adjustable arms. While I'm not thrilled with the appearance, it's a worthwhile trade off to have functional wipers.
Plaza wiper arm (2).jpg
Plaza wiper arm (4).jpg
Plaza wiper arm adapter.jpg
Plaza wiper arm (3).jpg

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #492
I got tired of looking at the holes in the door for the spotlight. So, I dug out the old non-working spotlight and sawed the part that goes all the way through the door short and remounted it. The shaft and shaft jacket were both bent anyway and I didn't have the handle anyway. However, with the shaft and jacket cut, there was nothing holding the head of the spotlight up. So, I drilled and tapped the jacket and put in a set screw.
phpLbTCGeAM.jpg
phpip9IRxAM.jpg
phpN1nIPBAM.jpg

·
Super Moderator
13,931 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #498
Yesterday, I delivered my '71 to the paint shop today which freed up a garage slot for the wagon. Before parking it in the garage, I decided to take a drive around the neighborhood. That backfired as the fuel line clogged. I changed the fuel filter on the side of the road and it restarted. Since it was running again, I drove past my house to make one more circuit. Of course, as soon as I created the hill it died again. Some helpful folks gave me enough of a push to coast home and I pushed it into the garage. I'll blow out the fuel line today.
phpQ0XvjoAM.jpg

·
Premium Member
20,146 Posts
Yep, time to drop the gas tank and fix the problem permanently. From there, figure out whether the tank needs to be sealed or just cleaned, from the sounds of it.

481 - 500 of 526 Posts