Allpar Forums banner

starting problem 1998 T&C

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  martindi 
#1 ·
Son bought 1998 T&C, Drives great, sits overnight, will not start. Let sit for awhile, then starts. Sits overnight, will not start. Had towed to repair shop, started. Finally shop had for a few days before they had a day when it would not start but no code. Can't find problem. Anyone have suggestions? Thanks.

#2 ·
What happens when it does not start? Does the starter still spin the engine? If so, then they need to check for fuel and spark rather than just trying to pull codes. it will take some diagnosis.

#6 ·
There are electronic issues that will kill the van after running a couple of seconds. It may just be a coincidence that it corresponds to the key being released. Being a Town and Country it probably has the factory anti theft system which will cut the engine off it is not disarmed. Try locking and unlocking the doors with the remote the next time it does the start and die routine. If the gauges are not working when this happens it can be the connections in the cluster.

Or it could be the switch is bad. I don't have a good feeling about the shop working on it. Sounds like they'll just replace parts until they find the one that fixes it or you give up because it costs too much.

#8 ·
Son picked van up yesterday. It started but while driving it, dash lights started flashing and door locks kept going up and down. He just kept driving and it did stop. If this is due to the anti-theft can it be dismantled and if so, how? Thanks, as always.

#9 ·
Have you guys checked your connector on the BCM? Sometimes if water gets in on the wiring, it can cause all kinds of problems. I'd check the harness, give it a good cleaning with electrical contact cleaner and then plug and unplug it several times to sweep the contacts clean. Use some electrical grease on the connector before reattaching it for good.

#11 ·
I'm not positive, but I THINK your BCM is located behind the passenger side kick panel. You know, the plastic piece under the dashboard beside where you put your feet? Someone else will know for sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.