Allpar Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Plant Steering part Steering wheel Font Gadget

Car Hood Automotive lighting Gear shift Motor vehicle

If I can see any legacy American automaker following Tesla and Lexus' footsteps, it would have to be Ford. I'm not sure if Dodge/Chrysler or any of the Stellantis automakers would do this.
Supposedly Lexus' steer-by-wire was better implemented than Tesla's yoke, and I would hope anyone who does give the option of the half wheel would take that into account.

What are everyone's thoughts of this design, and the yokes in recent cars in general? (BZ4X. RZ, Model S, etc.)

· Registered
2011 Challenger R/T Classic
1,201 Posts
Agreed. Throttle by wire is one thing. Brakes or steering by wire is a recipe for a massive lawsuit after a fiery crash.

· Registered
1986 LeBaron convertible, 2.2L T2 with A413. 1989 J convertible dash and console modified to fit.
1,337 Posts
It's bad enough doing away with the shifter for a rotary knob, at least Chrysler's "typewriter drive" you had something that you could feel and know which button you had before pushing it, or could tell which one was pushed.

· Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
17,276 Posts
We are moving away from vacuum & mechanical actuators for better or worse.
Overall, I have to think that the systems have to be proven safe with this litigious society we are in before being green-lighted.

The EPS (electronic power steering) used by Chrysler can deliver a little 'nibble' to the steering wheel to alert the driver of a lane departure, maybe soon with watching the drivers eye movements as he needs to stay awake & alert.

I know that we are moving toward autonomous cars & A.I. We hear about the terrible things that can happen, but who wants to click on articles about all the daily successes of making our roads safer?

I think that the system can be over-ridden manually & has to have a limp-in (safe default).

Combined with FCW+/ESP/BAS to get out of a skid or avoid a collision, that little black box may save many lives & many dollars with instant, non-panicked control decisions during an evasive driving event.

Reactions: dodgeismycar

· Registered
2011 Challenger R/T Classic
1,201 Posts
If you don’t like drive by wire, you may want to be very careful on what aircraft you fly on.
I drive everywhere I can. Been on a plane 2 or 3 times in 44 years and only one of those was not for job related reasons. :) I always say you may walk away from a car crash. You won't walk away from a plane crash. And on a plane, you are 100% at the mercy of others.

· Super Moderator
12,308 Posts
People do walk away from plane crashes. And pilots are more expert at what they do than the average driver. Planes are far safer, lower fatality rate.

Reactions: valiant67

· Virginia Gentleman
8,702 Posts
People do walk away from plane crashes. And pilots are more expert at what they do than the average driver. Planes are far safer, lower fatality rate.
If you are referring to commercial airlines, yes, they have a far better track record than people driving. General aviation (private small planes), though, is not as good.

· Registered
2,894 Posts
Considering I've already been the victim of GM's throttle by wire with stability control and traction control freaking out and sending me on a wild ride the last thing I want is not being able to control the direction a vehicle is going when all these electronic systems go nuts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts