Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've pretty much got my original '01 LTE 5sp running very well now. However, the steering column emits an eek/awk, eek/urk sound when the wheel is rotated left/right. Of course its only a slight noise but when trying to have a conversation the noise is annoying as can be. I've read somewhere that the column can be disassembled and the bushings replaced but short of that is anyone aware of if/how one can inject some spray lubricant to help quite this down?

Any ideas appreciated! :excited:

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Are you sure this is not caused by the rubber boot at the base of the steering column? I had those cause noise on older cars and found out very quickly by shooting a little WD40 into the boot and turning the wheel a few times. A little white grease resolved it permanently.

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
My 93 Daytona does this when it's below about 45F. The noise in my car is definitely at the top of the column, where the airbag assembly and wheel meet the top of the column housing. It's quiet when the interior temperature gets higher than 45F or so.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too, am suffering with the squeaky issue in our 2010 Cruiser. I have tried everything that has been suggested, but the squeak returns after a week or two. Are there any permanent fixes for this problem? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
21,369 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. Listen for and locate where the noise is coming from. The rubber boot at the floor was a common squeal/squeak source. The boot where it rubs on the steering shaft coupling as it passes through the floor can be lubricated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts