Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after 10K or so on our junkyard saved 1987 Reliant LE Wagon, the factory original PS rack is leaking and the inner tie rods are loose. So its time to change out my rack and pinion. IIRC I have seen other mention front end / steering upgrades that can be done (ie faster ratio steering, heavier sway bar, etc) an dI have seen two different racks offered as factory options. Are there other racks out of say a Daytona or other "performance model" that will interchange. I am running 205/55 16 tires with Sebring Alloy wheels and would like to tighten the steering a bit.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
You may find something from a similar year Shelby model daytona/shadow ect will give a faster ratio steering option, up until about 89 the parts are interchangeable across the K-based chassis line. Minivans and L-body are different.

I ordered a replacement rack for my shadow from Napa, it was listed as the correct model but was actually a faster ratio rack. The only thing I dont like though is that it has a larger turning ratio now... part of the faster ratio comes at a price of loosing your tighter steering.

·
Super Moderator
36,933 Posts
K cars also offered an upgraded (Firm Feel) steering rack and pump. After all, Chrysler was selling K car cop packages at the time (just not in great numbers). It's really not necessary to add the Firm Feel pump, just the rack. It may not change the ratio, but does change the feel. Many of the faster racks were also designed for larger tires and the larger the tire (14, 15, 16) the sooner you hit the stop on the rack at full turn to avoid rubbing the tires but that also increases the turning circle.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
If you plan on upgrading the sway bar, you would do well to add some anti-roll device to the rear of the car as well. This will keep the car balanced. The post '91 AA bodies had a firm feel steering setup (I have driven a pre-update car and my '95 and there is a TON of difference). I have no idea if those will even fit in a K-car, but if they do, they're almost certainly more plentiful.

·
Super Moderator
31,988 Posts
The firm-feel quick-ratio steering was 15:1 vs the standard 14:1. My Daytona Turbo Z has it, it's instant response to the turn of the wheel, and tight. Lane changes are like a video game. Came with 15" tires.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts