Allpar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
15,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the article:

MILAN (Reuters) - Stellantis' Alfa Romeo will roll out a new model each year to 2026, starting with Tonale's SUV next year, the brand's head Jean-Philippe Imparato said on Wednesday.

Stellantis, the world's fourth largest carmaker, formed earlier this year though the merger of Fiat Chrysler and France's PSA, has pooled its Alfa Romeo, Lancia and former PSA's DS brands to cooperate on the premium market.

"Alfa Romeo will launch a new model every year until 2026," Imparato told an Italian dealer's event, in comments later confirmed by a Stellantis spokesman.

Starting form 2027, all Alfa Romeo new vehicles would be electric, he said.

Full article here:

Stellantis' Alfa Romeo to Launch New Model Every Year to 2026 | Investing News | US News

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
The original plan was for having BEV only model launches from 2025 which actually means that the next gen Giulia and Stelvio will have ICE or MHEV or PHEV versions.

Both Italian and US dealers were very dissatisfied with this plan and as we can see it has changed. I would not exclude further changers.

Engineering pool? It seems that for D and E segments it will be paired with Maserati. E segment models are another thing which is back in the plan and which wasn't part of the original plan.
I don't see much sharing with Lancia or DS. No more than with for example Opel or Peugeot.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
37,420 Posts
I thought the whole point was to have one basic D/E platform for Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, Maserati, and Alfa Romeo, in no particular order.

I wonder what the sharing groups will eventually be.

I'd guess Jeep, Dodge, Maserati, Alfa, with Jeep and Dodge sharing secretly... Chrysler, Peugeot, Fiat, Opel, Citroen, DS, smaller Jeeps and Dodges in another group.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I thought the whole point was to have one basic D/E platform for Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, Maserati, and Alfa Romeo, in no particular order.

I wonder what the sharing groups will eventually be.

I'd guess Jeep, Dodge, Maserati, Alfa, with Jeep and Dodge sharing secretly... Chrysler, Peugeot, Fiat, Opel, Citroen, DS, smaller Jeeps and Dodges in another group.
The plan was 4 major platforms. D/E was always a complete overlap with FWD/AWD and RWD/AWD platforms. The FWD platforms have a partial overlap at C.

·
Registered
780 Posts
* Checks watch *
Still waiting on those new Dodge and Chrysler models. But good for them dumping more resources into Alfa.
I'm sure the Italians were promised that their vanity project would continue to be well funded after the PSA/FCA merger, for them to be on board with the formation of Stellantis.
Don't get me wrong...the Giulia is a damn sexy far in Quad and GTA configurations, but the sales figures do not match the investment in North America.

·
Registered
15,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm sure the Italians were promised that their vanity project would continue to be well funded after the PSA/FCA merger, for them to be on board with the formation of Stellantis.
Don't get me wrong...the Giulia is a damn sexy far in Quad and GTA configurations, but the sales figures do not match the investment in North America.
Yes, the investment into Giorgio is now more than 5 years old, which means it cannot be depreciated any longer. It was a failure and waste of money and did not serve any purpose other than an R&D project.

I am happy that Alfa will be given a chance to be what it should have been. It has competent leadership now that understands its customers better and has a better grasp on what their markets demand.

If each brand is given the same chance, it will be good. I do not mean that each brand gets a new vehicle every year, but each brand gets new product in line with its brand image and with what the market demands.

FCA did not care what customers wanted. Stellantis seems more in-tune with its customers. But it is early and time will tell. So far, I have not seen the arrogance and dismissal of customers from management that we saw in the past.

·
Registered
15,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alfa Romeo Promises It Will Launch Five New Models Until 2026 (motor1.com)

From the article:

Alfa Romeo's head honcho wants the electrified Tonale to be sportier than the Peugeot 3008 PHEV, so the engineers are working hard to make the boss happy.

So, it seems the apologists who claimed the Tonale delay was just to reduce CO2 output, not increase performance were WRONG.

As many of us said, the Peugeot 3008 PHEV had 300 hp while the Tonale was only slated to have 240 hp. That would not be a good thing for Alfa's first foray into electrification....to be beaten by a Peugeot.

Imparato did the right thing in stopping this joke. It is a good example of how new leadership knows what customers want and does not dismiss them as past management tended to do.

We would have been sitting here discussing why a new Alfa has less power than a mainstream Peugeot. The apologists would have been here doing what they do while customers would have been disappointed.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Alfa Romeo Promises It Will Launch Five New Models Until 2026 (motor1.com)

From the article:

Alfa Romeo's head honcho wants the electrified Tonale to be sportier than the Peugeot 3008 PHEV, so the engineers are working hard to make the boss happy.

So, it seems the apologists who claimed the Tonale delay was just to reduce CO2 output, not increase performance were WRONG.

As many of us said, the Peugeot 3008 PHEV had 300 hp while the Tonale was only slated to have 240 hp. That would not be a good thing for Alfa's first foray into electrification....to be beaten by a Peugeot.

Imparato did the right thing in stopping this joke. It is a good example of how new leadership knows what customers want and does not dismiss them as past management tended to do.

We would have been sitting here discussing why a new Alfa has less power than a mainstream Peugeot. The apologists would have been here doing what they do while customers would have been disappointed.
It's a step in the right direction...old leadership would of greenlighted it underpowered, then been seemingly dumbfounded by the negative press and public reaction.

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
It's a step in the right direction...old leadership would of greenlighted it underpowered, then been seemingly dumbfounded by the negative press and public reaction.
You have no idea what are you talking about.

Some of us have seen Imparato plan before the lastest revision. Actually 2021-2026 plan is the same. One car model change after it.

In the same plan he had talked about performance. It was exclusively about CO2 and the European market.

·
Jeepaholic
6,264 Posts
For example, Compass with the tired old 2.4. “It looks great, but that powertrain combo…..oooof!”

·
Premium Member
2002 Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 with Cummins.
4,355 Posts
Their mindset was very GMish. You're going to like what we sell or go somewhere else. That's why GM has lost sales for years when the imports showed up. They dropped that thinking years ago. I hope Auburn Hills loses it with the smaller profit lines. They get it if it says Wrangler or Ram, but the rest not so much.

·
Registered
15,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Their mindset was very GMish. You're going to like what we sell or go somewhere else. That's why GM has lost sales for years when the imports showed up. They dropped that thinking years ago. I hope Auburn Hills loses it with the smaller profit lines. They get it if it says Wrangler or Ram, but the rest not so much.
Yes, the company was run like it was 1974.

It is good that new product is coming at a far better pace than we have seen over the past decade.

·
Super Moderator
38,715 Posts
One of the most obvious examples of that was during the introduction of the Chrysler Pacifica. Someone (no idea if it was Auburn hills or Italy) said that if the Pacifica was too expensive (as the plan was to drop the Grand Caravan then and put Pacifica in a higher price range) that shoppers should look elsewhere in the portfolio (I guess Dodge Journey?).
That arrogance soon turned to discounting as customers didn't see the value in Pacifica. It was the 200 syndrome all over again. You can increase prices only if the customer sees additional value.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
37,420 Posts
Sad thing is, the Pacifica does quite well against Odyssey, dollar to dollar (less well now against Sienna which has benefitted from Toyota's complete platform change and standard hybrid engine). Even when it clearly beat Odyssey and Sienna, buyers were not willing to take the risk vs the "safe" Japanese brands, despite Honda's awful transmission legacy.

·
Registered
15,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sad thing is, the Pacifica does quite well against Odyssey, dollar to dollar (less well now against Sienna which has benefitted from Toyota's complete platform change and standard hybrid engine). Even when it clearly beat Odyssey and Sienna, buyers were not willing to take the risk vs the "safe" Japanese brands, despite Honda's awful transmission legacy.
Yes, the Pacifica interior materials and styling are great, but FCA screwed the pooch on safety and quality. The 9-speed had some early teething issues. The hybrid was a disaster from the beginning. Safety Tech was optional while Honda and Toyota made it standard equipment earlier....and these vehicles sell on keeping the wife and family "safe" with reliability.

Again, it is an example of not knowing your customers.

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
I'd say it has more to do with decline of minivans in usa automart AND chrysler just being a 'who cares?' Brand for median usa customer. If chrysler were a Mary barra gm brand they would've shut it down. And 'nobody' would've misses it. Same true imo of lancia and ds, though not dodge and alfa.

Because stellantis is a family owned and controlled firm: no brands will be shuttered, but will be patronized and indulged a bit every decade to limp along as 'zombies' (chrysler DS and Lancia.) Imho and afaik.

·
Super Moderator
38,715 Posts
I'd say it has more to do with decline of minivans in usa automart AND chrysler just being a 'who cares?' Brand for median usa customer. If chrysler were a Mary barra gm brand they would've shut it down. And 'nobody' would've misses it. Same true imo of lancia and ds, though not dodge and alfa.

Because stellantis is a family owned and controlled firm: no brands will be shuttered, but will be patronized and indulged a bit every decade to limp along as 'zombies' (chrysler DS and Lancia.) Imho and afaik.
Chrysler is getting a shrinking portion of the "shrinking" minivan market. I say shrinking, but the minivan market had stabilized in the 450k to 500k before 2020.
Figures from GoodCar,BadCar.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts