Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the article:

As such, Free2Move, a car-sharing and rental service under the PSA Group, now Stellantis, has announced that a new vehicle from its European fleet is coming to the US. This is specific to Washington DC where Free2Move was first launched back in 2018.

Full article here:

Stellantis Bringing Adorable Citroen Ami To The US As Rental (motor1.com)

Reactions: Shane Estabrooks

·
Jeepaholic
5,896 Posts
One wonders how much it cost them to get it through US safety rules - or is that only needed for cars that are sold rather than rented?
In theory I wouldn’t think it would matter either way, as it’s a vehicle on the road in the US. That being said, I have no idea.

Reactions: Tony K

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
One wonders how much it cost them to get it through US safety rules - or is that only needed for cars that are sold rather than rented?
I am guessing that it fits the new loophole for low speed vehicles (1998, revised in 2014 for just such BEVs). Must be limited to 25 mph, cannot be driven on roads with a speed limit over 35 mph.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
36,198 Posts
$50 per day? No thanks!
Rental car prices are much higher than they were last year. Might be ideal for getting into small parking spaces. I don't recall parking in DC as being easy.

I am guessing that it fits the new loophole for low speed vehicles (1998, revised in 2014 for just such BEVs). Must be limited to 25 mph, cannot be driven on roads with a speed limit over 35 mph.
That would make sense, I remember those rules too, they were really meant for enclosed communities but nothing stops DC from fitting the bill.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts

Reference all above, they couldn't even import the vehicle under FMVSS standards excepting for the low speed vehicle loophole absent very restrictive exceptions mostly for non-road use and foreign officials. I only know because of researching to bring back stuff from Germany. Unless it meets the 25 year rule for FMVSS exceptions, it has to be run through a registered importer, no exceptions.

·
Super Moderator
37,863 Posts
I guess they'll need a governor installed on them. They supposedly go almost 28 MPH.
They would classify as a NEV (Neighborhood Electric Vehicle) like the GEMs.

·
Registered
94 Posts
If I were Stellantis, I'd install a GPS with alarms to discourage the Speed-Racer wannabes from attempting to take it onto a highway or out of the District of Columbia. I see the top speed from the mighty 8-HP motor is said to be 27.9 on flat ground... I wonder what it's like on DC's hills? At that top speed, you could drive it for maybe more than an hour before the battery runs out. The only way the price seems reasonable to me is if your can take advantage of alternative parking.

If you should happen to get int a police chase in one, you will need to do everything you can to convince the pursuing vehicle that your are driving forwards when you are really going backwards, or vice versa.

·
Super Moderator
21,702 Posts
C'mon guys, where's your sense of humor?
This is a quantum leap (sideways?) from the Cyclops II:

·
Registered
395 Posts
In Europe this is not a car but a light vehicle. Alternative to a scooter. Therefore it doesn't need crash tests. It only runs 45 km/h and already 14 year olds are allowed to drive in France.

·
Registered
89 Posts
What a bad advertising for Stellantis... I think like all of the former PSA « things » which will be available in US in the future...

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
People just want to find more things to complain about.... good fosh y’all, it’s just a 4 wheel scooter that they are trying to bring to cities for transportation. So you guys saying it’s bad advertisement to get alil extra revenue?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts