Allpar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Brazilian website (Autos Segredos) claims that Stellantis is developing a unibody pickup under the RAM brand and Project 291 name to face Toyota Hilux and Chevrolet S10 in the Brazilian market (and perhaps in South America). The pickup truck will use the Small Wide 4x4 already in production at the Goiana plant, which already makes the Renegade, Compass, Fiat Toro and should soon the 7-seater version of the Compass (2021) and an SUV version of the Fiat Toro (2022/2023).

Link (Google Translate): Google Translate

Registered
2014 Ram 2500 HD 6.4 Hemi
Aren't the Hilux and S-10 frames not unibody, will they be able to compete and/or can it excel by having comparable load/tow ratings with better fuel mileage.

Banned
I believe that they are mistaken.

There is a refreshed Toro undergoing testing in Brazil now. That is what they may be considering.

If Stellantis made a BOF midsize pickup, it should come from Mexico so it can be sold in both North & South America.

Reactions: WJR

Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
It is meant for emerging markets, mainly latam, not n america. Ram International dovetailing with Fiat Professional. Has nothing to do with usa market?
That makes sense. Sorry, I think I got confused as to what we were talking about.

Registered
A Brazilian website (Autos Segredos) claims that Stellantis is developing a unibody pickup under the RAM brand and Project 291 name to face Toyota Hilux and Chevrolet S10 in the Brazilian market (and perhaps in South America). The pickup truck will use the Small Wide 4x4 already in production at the Goiana plant, which already makes the Renegade, Compass, Fiat Toro and should soon the 7-seater version of the Compass (2021) and an SUV version of the Fiat Toro (2022/2023).

Link (Google Translate): Google Translate
If this is the same truck that Mopar Rumors is outting, the platform has only been updated as the test mules have been tooling around the Chelsea (Michigan) Proving Grounds for the past few years, one mule was spec'd out for military consideration.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No apparently to b branded and styled etc as a Ram...from get go: even in Brazil let alone say Mexico that sees fiat small trucks rebadged as rams
The project code ("291") hints at this. I may be wrong, but the projects with code "2XX" are related to Fiat's line of "work" vehicles. For example: Fiat Fiorino (225), Fiat Dobl貌 (263), Fiat Strada (281) and Fiat Toro (226), while "3XX" designs are Fiat passenger cars, "5XX" are Jeep, "8XX" are Lancia, "9XX" are Alfa Romeo and "M1XX" are Maseratis.

I have doubts whether Fiat is able to sell a product that will have a higher price and will share the showroom with vehicles such as the Fiat Mobi. Perhaps this justifies using the RAM brand even in Brazil.

Registered
What is the logic ?
What makes sense when vw and ford are together for the amarok and ranger?
Strada, Toro and Landtrek, I find it is good.
But it is not necessary to touch the latam market, fca knows what it does and I really believe in it

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I believe that they are mistaken.

There is a refreshed Toro undergoing testing in Brazil now. That is what they may be considering.

If Stellantis made a BOF midsize pickup, it should come from Mexico so it can be sold in both North & South America.
They're two different things. Toro with facelift has already been spotted with little camouflage and the body-on-frame midsize pickup should be a project aimed primarily at the North American market. This rumor points to a pickup between Fiat Toro and "RAM Dakota", but it shouldn't be present in all markets.

Importing "RAM Dakota", even if from Mexico, would place it in a price range above competitors such as Ford Ranger, VW Amarok, Chevrolet S10 and Toyota Hilux. All are produced in Mercosur. Most in Argentina. In order to produce a competitive midsize pickup in LATAM, it would be necessary to invest in a factory to adapt the production of a body-on-frame pickup or to go for the solution of a unibody pickup.

Banned
They're two different things. Toro with facelift has already been spotted with little camouflage and the body-on-frame midsize pickup should be a project aimed primarily at the North American market. This rumor points to a pickup between Fiat Toro and "RAM Dakota", but it shouldn't be present in all markets.

Importing "RAM Dakota", even if from Mexico, would place it in a price range above competitors such as Ford Ranger, VW Amarok, Chevrolet S10 and Toyota Hilux. All are produced in Mercosur. Most in Argentina. In order to produce a competitive midsize pickup in LATAM, it would be necessary to invest in a factory to adapt the production of a body-on-frame pickup or to go for the solution of a unibody pickup.
The Ford Ranger sold in the US is made in Michigan. Toyota sells the Tacoma in the US, made in Mexico or the US. Chevy sells the Colorado made in the US. A Mexican made Dakota would do just fine against those.

Registered
Rams not sold in the US make zero sense. They shouldn't cheapen the name with LATAM market deathtraps.
Having a strong, highly regarded, international brand makes lots of sense - see what Jeep has become and how Jeep sales outside of the US effect the bottom line. Imagine if RAM could duplicate that. And just because it's not a full size pick-up doesn't mean it's a death trap, LATAM market cars are smaller but still have modern safety construction.

Banned
Having a strong, highly regarded, international brand makes lots of sense - see what Jeep has become and how Jeep sales outside of the US effect the bottom line. Imagine if RAM could duplicate that. And just because it's not a full size pick-up doesn't mean it's a death trap, LATAM market cars are smaller but still have modern safety construction.
Yes I have seen the Renegade and Compass. I am not impressed.

LOL! Their whole testing protocol through 2015 was substandard. Check out all the 0-2 star ratings. Cars like that don't even get sold in the US.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.