Allpar Forums banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
37,743 Posts
That’s pretty much their baseline, so they’re used to it. :LOL:
Good point.

Maybe we should all just give up and designate Israel as the world's military equipment supplier, like IROC or Can Am.

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Yes a Chrysler twin of the next gen chinese Jeep Grand Commander with the latest possible foxconn JV UI, tech, and of course phev/bev is a good idea...for exports to n america, as knocked down kit for assembly or fully built? Irrespective of whether they launch chrysler in china itself. But FIRST: a windsor 'made' Portal or Airflow to relaunch the brand as techy bev, affordable high quality Tesla as it were etc.? 2023 and after.

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
It seems they are indeed going to assemble the imported usa spec Jeeps in china, from knocked down kits apparently, positioned as full on 'luxury' models. That import business has been dovetailed into the amended jv with GAC. They are assembling the Wrangler in India already, and will also the Grand C /L, also for rexport to rhd japan australia etc. There is a large margin boost availble for high priced models just by getting behind tariff walls EVEN if only assembly occurs and no local manufacture. As it is: plenty of parts are sourced from China andor India. And cheaper product development, r&d, technical work esp IT related is also an advantage of a meaningful operation in the likes of china andor india.

·
Registered
15,245 Posts
Yes a Chrysler twin of the next gen chinese Jeep Grand Commander with the latest possible foxconn JV UI, tech, and of course phev/bev is a good idea...for exports to n america, as knocked down kit for assembly or fully built? Irrespective of whether they launch chrysler in china itself. But FIRST: a windsor 'made' Portal or Airflow to relaunch the brand as techy bev, affordable high quality Tesla as it were etc.? 2023 and after.
I agree that the first "new" Chrysler should not come from China. That would be a media disaster for the brand in North America.

Portal is also a mistake. Chrysler is not a "people mover" and never was. Trying to turn Chrysler into the minivan brand was another FCA blunder. Dodge was the minivan brand. Chrysler Town & Country minivans were higher margin and higher luxury Caravans, not the mainstream minivan.

My opinion is Chrysler has to be fashionable, yet affordable. Getting into a technology war is for brands with unlimited resources. Chrysler will never "out-tech" Tesla or the other start-ups. Chrysler should not be a testing ground for autonomous driving or other trendy technologies. Chrysler needs to be reliable, dependable but fashionable.

In other words, I think Chrysler should be the designer alternative to Toyota. Toyota is dependable but bland. Chrysler should be dependable but cool. Toyota is Walmart, Chrysler is Target. Toyota is a plain Band-Aid. Chrysler should be a Varvatos print Band-Aid.

The John Varvatos Chrysler 300 was a success. It needed to be built upon and pushed further.

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Hope they backpedal citroen and peugeot in china: they've already wasted too much capital. DS was China first at launch as a brand so it seems they will persist with it there. In China stellantis should emphasize the higher margin brands and products even if only assembled from kits imported from usa italy or france. I.e., Jeep Maserati AlfaRomeo.... andor DS andor Opel andor Chrysler if and when these last 3 endup sharing enough under the skin post say 2024, once stellantis operationalizes the ev and tech commonization outlined on the recent EV day.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I think a revised Portal is just whats needed, basic work has been done, update the engineering and styling to something a customer would actually want to buy. Chrysler's greatest survival characteristic has been it's audacity in engineering, styling, and way of doing business, don't forget WHO purchased both Dodge and Jeep, which resulted in it's own limited survival today. Although I personally despise the styling of the Portal, it is the most likely direction for Chrysler, and it should lead the way, just like the Airflow, Forward Look, LHS, and LX, did.
I agree with the Toyota comparison in one way, start with one really good product, and keep improving on it, build in quality and reliability, and while you're doing that continue to improve your existing product as well. make a cycle of continuous improvement the norm, instead of the exception.

·
Registered
15,245 Posts
I think a revised Portal is just whats needed, basic work has been done, update the engineering and styling to something a customer would actually want to buy. Chrysler's greatest survival characteristic has been it's audacity in engineering, styling, and way of doing business, don't forget WHO purchased both Dodge and Jeep, which resulted in it's own limited survival today. Although I personally despise the styling of the Portal, it is the most likely direction for Chrysler, and it should lead the way, just like the Airflow, Forward Look, LHS, and LX, did.
I agree with the Toyota comparison in one way, start with one really good product, and keep improving on it, build in quality and reliability, and while you're doing that continue to improve your existing product as well. make a cycle of continuous improvement the norm, instead of the exception.
The Portal is going on 5 years old. It should be left in the past.

Let Christine Feuell chart the direction and not be shackled by the failures of the past.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I don't know about Chrysler but it seems that Alfa Romeo future plans have expanded from 2 to 4 STLA Large (read: Giorgio) models. E-segment models are back into the mix.
Interesting. I assume/hope they'll be at a price point significantly lower than the Maserati models on the same platform.

·
Banned
4,297 Posts
Interesting. I assume/hope they'll be at a price point significantly lower than the Maserati models on the same platform.
Significantly? Maserati will be very expensive. I mean from what I've heard Grecale will be at Ghibli's level price wise. So there is a lot of room for Alfa Romeo.
Ah, and if they didn't change the plans there was new Ghibli in the plans. New generation Quattroporte is or was planned as SWB and LWB model just like Porsche Panamera.

Alfa Romeo pricing is planned to be in line with BMW and similar brands, model vs model. Brands which are called premium in Europe and rest of the world.
Brands like Porsche and Maserati are luxury brands.

Alfa Romeo sedans, both new Giulia and Alfetta, are not planned as classic sedans. They should be liftbacks.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
37,743 Posts
I don't know about Chrysler but it seems that Alfa Romeo future plans have expanded from 2 to 4 STLA Large (read: Giorgio) models. E-segment models are back into the mix.
Hold on, wasn't Giorgio "Alfa Romeo Exclusive"?

I do wonder about the Quattroporte and Ghibli, I was expecting those to be Giorgio based on the last word, but then ... YAPR (yet another platform renaming).

Renaming Ghibli to SWB Quattroporte would help.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts