Allpar Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Google translate:

The old EC5M engine used in the Peugeot and Citroën brands is expected to be abandoned in Brazil. In addition to it, we can also wait for the end of THP in the regional models of the two French companies.

The reason is that the synergy within Stellantis will be much faster than we think and Firefly Turbo engines will also serve the products of the old PSA.

This was confirmed by Carlos Tavares, CEO of Stellantis, who came to Brazil to inaugurate the production line for the new engines in Betim-MG. The executive, who also visited Goiana-PE, said that the investment will benefit the French.

Whole article at: Stellantis: Firefly Turbo também vai para Peugeot e Citroën

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
This is good news. All of the third world only models and engines need to die. "EC engines are an evolution of the TU family for China, North Africa and Latin America. They are used in cars such as Peugeot 301 and Citroën C-Elysée."

FIRE and E.torQ need to be discontinued as well.

The Prince engine was the replacement for the Tritec in the Mini. Tritec is what E.torQ is based on.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
37,204 Posts
This is good news. All of the third world only models and engines need to die. "EC engines are an evolution of the TU family for China, North Africa and Latin America. They are used in cars such as Peugeot 301 and Citroën C-Elysée."

FIRE and E.torQ need to be discontinued as well.

The Prince engine was the replacement for the Tritec in the Mini. Tritec is what E.torQ is based on.
We find ourselves in agreement?

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
For a moment when I read the title I thought it was the engine from the Pontiac Firefly/Chevrolet Sprint/Geo Metro/Suzuki Forsa-Swift, lol. ;)

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, all reasonable people agree obsolete engines and platforms should be discontinued. ;)
Obsolete platforms? :/

Thankfully one marker will get rid of obsolete and failure prone engines.

From what I've heard they would like to do the same in Europe but capital expenditure may break such plans. PSA, ex PSA, part of Stellantis is known for overusing tooling.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
37,204 Posts
Yes, all reasonable people agree obsolete engines and platforms should be discontinued. ;)
Ignoring the interjection, I think it makes sense to maximize the Firefly, since it seems to be pretty good. I do wish the Apache upgrade had been put through, given that the 5.7 Hemi is apparently no longer on its way out... at least for the next four or five years. When we get ten years out, who knows?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thankfully one marker will get rid of obsolete and failure prone engines.

From what I've heard they would like to do the same in Europe but capital expenditure may break such plans. PSA, ex PSA, part of Stellantis is known for overusing tooling.
Between exPSA and exFCA, only the second has a huge problem with their engines in Europe.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Between exPSA and exFCA, only the second has a huge problem with their engines in Europe.
Hmh. Engine is not the same as powertrain. In addition to this FireFly/GSE is the new project which was joined to FCA EU line-up in higher numbers during the last year and still full switch from TwinAir and FIRE to FireFly/GSE hasn't been made.

Not to mention that FCA PHEV and BEV models had hit the streets late in 2020. Still Carlos Tavaresh thinks that FCA alone doesn't have CO2 issues even without Tesla. Why? Electrification strategies are being implements with new technologies yet to be unveiled.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts