Allpar Forums banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
There is absolutely no reason whatsoever for C&D not to select the Peugeot 508 sedan as a basis for a mid size car in the US. It is not rocket science to re engineer that to meet local regs, nor would it be that difficult to fit an US compliant powertrain in it. Things may well move rapidly once the dust settles but one thing is clear, there will be wide scale pruning of platforms, components and powertrains in the very near future. In Europe, the use of FCA gas powertrains across the board is expected as the PSA range is getting long in the tooth and is not in any way cohesive. Not so clear cut regarding diesel, if they bother even.

·
Registered
13,028 Posts
Yes I do expect continued neglect. Everyone keeps saying "Tavares this" and Tavares that" and that he will be the savior. I hope so. But I don't expect or think that will happen. He isn't going to directly control what happens with Chrysler or Dodge. He is going to be working over in Europe with the Euro brands. We will have the same incompetence or lack of caring leaders here in the US running Chrysler and Dodge. Sure the C/D folks want the brands to succeed, but the one's in charge don't seem to care. Isn't it Manley who will be in charge or something? If so, nothing will happen good to C/D.
You are correct that Manley will be in charge of North America.

However, if Tavares says Manley must use PSA platforms in North America, then they will be used.

If they come as Peugeot or as Chrysler or as Dodge will be a Manley decision (probably).

But Tavares is determined to extend the volume of PSA to North America.

Tavares is also determined to remedy the lack of fuel economy in North America. They need to offset the pickups, Jeeps and Dodge vehicles.

Depending on what regulations/rules the new administration puts in place may determine the fate of our beloved brands.

Reactions: David S and Tony K

·
Registered
13,028 Posts
Tavares is like Marchionne, just worse....Luckily there's JE who will decide pretty much all the vital things.....
I have worked as part of the executive team at several public traded and privately held companies with Boards of Directors. At no company have I ever heard where the Chairmen of the Board sets strategy or micromanages decisions. They have the CEO and the CEO's executive team for that.

The Chairman of the Board and Board of Directors (BOD) approves the overall strategy and budget for the company as requested by the CEO and the executive team. The Chairman and BOD review the financial results...they make suggestions.

CEOs run companies.

Reactions: David S

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
I have worked as part of the executive team at several public traded and privately held companies with Boards of Directors. At no company have I ever heard where the Chairmen of the Board sets strategy or micromanages decisions. They have the CEO and the CEO's executive team for that.

The Chairman of the Board and Board of Directors (BOD) approves the overall strategy and budget for the company as requested by the CEO and the executive team. The Chairman and BOD review the financial results...they make suggestions.

CEOs run companies.
The companies you worked for had Executive Chairmans? There is a lot of companies without Executive Chariman but FCA is not such.

·
Registered
13,028 Posts
The companies you worked for had Executive Chairmans? There is a lot of companies without Executive Chariman but FCA is not such.
Yes, they had Executive Chairmen...who were NEVER involved in day-to-day operations or decisions.

·
Registered
13,028 Posts

·
Registered
13,028 Posts
I said "vital things": you could read the merger paperwork to understand what I meant. Did you read that, do you ?
Yes, I read it and I know that Elkann will ensure Exor gets a proper return on its investment. That is all he cares about. Have you read Exor financial statements and announcements? Those tell you what Elkann is interested in.

Elkann does not care if they use PSA platforms or FCA platforms. Elkann does not care if they cancel Jeep tomorrow as long as the financial targets are met.

You hire a CEO to achieve the financial goals set out by the investors who own the company. The CEO is free to achieve those goals as he/she sees fit or they get terminated. Most CEOs only last 2 years in the job, on average.

Tavares did not take this job to be Elkann's puppet. Neither did Marchionne.

I do not recall Elkann running the company. I recall Marchionne running the company.

·
Registered
712 Posts
You are correct that Manley will be in charge of North America.

However, if Tavares says Manley must use PSA platforms in North America, then they will be used.

If they come as Peugeot or as Chrysler or as Dodge will be a Manley decision (probably).

But Tavares is determined to extend the volume of PSA to North America.

Tavares is also determined to remedy the lack of fuel economy in North America. They need to offset the pickups, Jeeps and Dodge vehicles.

Depending on what regulations/rules the new administration puts in place may determine the fate of our beloved brands.
Rebranding Peugeot cars as Chryslers makes the most sense in the short term. Launching a new brand (Peugeot) in a saturated market is hard to do unless you offer something unique like Tesla does. Look at the majority of new auto brands that have been launched since late 1980's; Eagle, Geo, Saturn, Scion, Smart, Mini, Fiat, Alfa Romeo...they have all been discontinued, absorbed, shuddered, or are struggling.
The flip side of rebranding an existing brand is that the brand doesn't fit with the new region it is being resold under. The rebadge by GM of Opel cars as Buicks, Chevys, Pontiacs, Saturns, and Cadillacs was not a success.

FCA has pigeonholed Dodge into a distinct entity...an old-school muscle car brand. Does PSA simply disregard that and...
1. Make Dodge a volume seller again?
2. Place it as an affordable partner to electrified Maserati?
3. Move Dodge upmarket, going more niche and killing the base Chargers, and Challengers. The LX cars would finally move to "Giorgio" and Dodge would finally get its long promised Mid-Sized high performance SUV.
4. Let the brand languish into oblivion.

Chrysler doesn't have Dodge's problem...it can become anything PSA needs it to be in the short term.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Yes, ever since Marchione was involved, I never got the sense that anyone else was calling the shots. I expect the same from Tavares. While Manley will be in charge in NA, I fully expect he will have Tavares in his ear explaining to him how he wants him to execute a plan for NA.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Yes, I read it and I know that Elkann will ensure Exor gets a proper return on its investment. That is all he cares about. Have you read Exor financial statements and announcements? Those tell you what Elkann is interested in.

Elkann does not care if they use PSA platforms or FCA platforms. Elkann does not care if they cancel Jeep tomorrow as long as the financial targets are met.

You hire a CEO to achieve the financial goals set out by the investors who own the company. The CEO is free to achieve those goals as he/she sees fit or they get terminated. Most CEOs only last 2 years in the job, on average.

Tavares did not take this job to be Elkann's puppet. Neither did Marchionne.

I do not recall Elkann running the company. I recall Marchionne running the company.
OK, I get it, you didn't read it....It's only one of those many many times you talk about something without knowing anything on the matter.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Why don't you contribute something to the conversation other that personal attacks?
It's not personal attack.

Someone's posts are usually too much filled with personal opinions and deflection.

Subject is very clear. John Elkann and his responsibilities at Stellantis. All can be find in joint FCA-PSA documents. All is black and white.

·
Registered
609 Posts
My observation is that it was an attack, probably because you disagree with him, but don't have anything to back it up.
OK, you want something to read ? Some food for thoughts.....

The powers of John Elkann:
Can call special Shareholder meeting as long Exor is a stockholder of 10% or greater of Stellantis
'if 'the Chairman is an executive Director, he or she will be consulted and work together with the CEO on that basis on important strategic matters affecting Stellantis:''
• budget/long-term strategic planning;
• mergers and acquisition transactions, including significant joint-ventures, investments and divestments;
• strategic evolution of the brand portfolio and significant product investment;
appointments, succession planning and compensation for key positions in the global executive committee;

• institutional relationships, including relationships with key governmental stakeholders, particularly on matters of strategic significance;
• significant public relations matters and major communication events/topics;
• interaction with principal shareholders and key partners; and
• providing leadership to the Stellantis Board and, in crisis circumstances, to the executive management on governance matters and ad hoc crisis management, in each case, without prejudice to the powers of the Stellantis Board.

U.S. Prospectus (fcagroup.com)

Merger of Peugeot S.A. with and into Fiat Chrysler Automobiles N.V. (incorporated in the Netherlands as a naamloze vennootschap)
TO BE RENAMED
Stellantis N.V

https://www.fcagroup.com/en-US/inve...eneral_Meeting_January_2021/US_Prospectus.pdf

·
Registered
13,028 Posts

·
Registered
13,028 Posts
I do not recall anyone giving Elkann credit for ending sedan production in North America or focusing Dodge on performance vehicles.

Perhaps you can show me where Elkann made those decisions?

I know Marchionne made those decisions with Elkann's blessing.....but it was Marchionne's strategy, not Elkann's.

Reactions: tlc and Tony K

·
Registered
609 Posts
I do not recall anyone giving Elkann credit for ending sedan production in North America or focusing Dodge on performance vehicles.

Perhaps you can show me where Elkann made those decisions?

I know Marchionne made those decisions with Elkann's blessing.....but it was Marchionne's strategy, not Elkann's.
What did it make you think I was talking about FCA ? Did you read FCA somewhere in my posts ? You know FCA is dead, right ?

As I said....strategic stuff....not day to day operation, which is left to the CEO and the executive team.

Elkann will approve Tavares' plan....but it will be Tavares' plan, not Elkann's.
Sure, if he likes it....

21 - 40 of 49 Posts