Allpar Forums banner
21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Valued Member
2,826 Posts
Having worked on the 2 previous Dodge Nascar race programs I will throw in my 2 cents worth. Obviously it won't be next year 2022. The engine from the previous program (R5/P7) was designed for the 2001 season and was upgraded to the R6/P8 for the 2008 season. So, there is no available off the shelf engine to use. It took us a year to design, develop, test and build the R5/P7 engine for competition for the 2001 season. So, the same would have to happen again. You can't use the Hemi.....that was eliminated back in 1965. The same goes for the car as far as aero testing and endurance testing and track testing.

What team is going to switch to an unknown product? Whose is the engine builder.? Hendrick and Yates and Gibbs are all locked up. Do you want to re-enter the sport with a 2nd or 3rd class team and make an a** of yourself? Petty is the natural sentimental choice everyone wants but they haven't been competitive in years even when they were using Dodge's starting back in 2001.

When we got back in 2001 the program was paid for by the Dodge dealers. For every car they sold $50 went into the pot. Where is the initial money going to come from to finance the development of the engine and the car.? All of us guys who worked on the last program are all retired or have left the company. There is no performance department in place like SRT or PVO to ramp up and get a program going.

Personally I can't see it unless there is some billionair out there wanting to burn through some cash and has nothing else to do.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Not sure how relevant the truck series is when it woll share nothing with Cup. New car, new engine, etc. Surely the R6P8 could be reworked to run in the truck and Xfinity series, though.
[/QUOTE

]I haven't really been following the Truck series since Dodge dropped out, so you can correct me if I'm wrong here. Hasn't the series gone over to Spec motors only ("Brand C" based, of course)? I remember a few years ago Kyle Busch debating whether or not to continue racing his Toyota trucks because they would no longer be allowed to run with genuine Toyota powerplants.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I quit watching/following NASCAR since the early 70s. Got so sick every time Furd and Chevy got their butt's kicked, they'd go crying to the France family about banning Mopar, or changing the rules. Ban the Hemi, homologation, restrictor plates, no wings, wah, wah...:cry: Then, factory style body panels and engines disappeared. No more "run whatchya brung" mentality. I don't begrudge Toyota, or any other manufacturer from competing, but at least MAKE the V8s AND offer then in production cars (remember HOMOLOGATION???). Today, they ALL look pretty much like they came from the same cookie cutter. You get penalized if your spoiler is a 1/8" out of "spec". Might as just call NASCAR for what it has become - IROC. Everyone gets the exact SAME car, can make limited modifications, use the same basic engines, and it comes down to how good is the driver, pit crew, and luck. BORING...:sleep:

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
There is an Ilmor built spec engine available. I know a manufacturer can use their own engine but the Ilmor is superior. It was introduced as a cost savings effort and it seems to have worked. All you'd really need to see Ram in Trucks is a body. Xfinity would need an engine, but they didn't run Busch in 2001, so it might be that way again. Ilmor in trucks, Dodge next gen in Cup, then decide if Xfinity is worth the investment.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Since there has not been a body tested or approved for Dodge by NASCAR for 2022, and I realize that the new 2022 composite body would only need minor changes, I am not hopeful for a Dodge in NASCAR next year. Also, as stated by Fast Eddie, the R6P8 engine would need some development work to compete as well. And as far as we know, nothing has been going on with resurrecting a factory engine program. But I'd love to see Dodge back in NASCAR. I have not watched NASCAR since 2012 when Dodge left the sport. I'd love to see NASCAR return to the roots of the sport and run cars that are at least similar to the cars they sell for mass consumption too instead of this IROC series it has become. We all know that the Challenger and Charger would kick every other manufacturer's butt.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The return to NASCAR would be great news!! One can only imagine.
Wondering out loud here, but with what team(s)?
SHR
ROUSCH
ANDRETTI???
Can't wait to hear.
My prediction: If Dodge returns to NASCAR, it will be with Stewart-Haas Racing.

Tony Stewart is starting a NHRA team in 2022 with drivers Matt Hagen and Leah Pruett. A manufacturer has not been announced yet, but more than likely it will be with Dodge since Matt Hagen and Leah Pruett are sponsored by Mopar/Dodge/SRT.

If Tony Stewart signs with Dodge for his NHRA team, it will be interesting to see what happens with his NASCAR team. I can't see Ford being happy with one of it's NASCAR team owners running a different manufacturer for its NHRA team. Could this be the first step towards Dodge's return to NASCAR with Stewart-Haas Racing? Who knows.

Tony Stewart has a previous relationship with Mopar. Back in the early 2000's, his sprint car team was sponsored by Mopar. He started the SRX racing series with Ray Evernham (a former Dodge NASCAR team owner).

·
Registered
218 Posts
Tony Stewart has a previous relationship with Mopar. .... He started the SRX racing series with Ray Evernham (a former Dodge NASCAR team owner).
I'm a little surprised Dodge hasn't teamed with Tony for the SRX series. They could use the CASCAR Challenger bodies and something like the Prefix Hemi engine.

·
Virginia Gentleman
15,322 Posts
I sincerely doubt Dodge or Ram will return to NASCAR anytime soon. First Stellantis has to get its house in order (financially and otherwise). 2024 at the earliest and even then I have my doubts. Racing at the top level is not cheap and the teams need good sponsors. Last I read it runs about $24 million per team per year at the top level (Cup). The new car is not cheap.

If they are going to do it, they should note how Toyota did it. As I recsll, they started in the Truck series and expanded to the other series over time. Toyota poured a lot of money into all three series and did not do it on the cheap.

Maybe SHR would switch, but they switched to Ford not all that long ago. Trackhouse (formerly CGR) is just getting into NASCAR next year so I doubt they would switch manufacturers in the next few years. At best it would one of the lower tier teams unless they start one from scratch. I just don't see Penske, RFR, HMS, Childress, JGR or any other top level team switching to a new manufacturer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I can't see Hendrick, Gibbs, or Penske switching manufacturers. Other than that, if a manufacturer comes in with a long-term commitment and a commitment to win, I think they'd have some very good options. All Chevy teams know that they play second fiddle to Hendrick and Gibbs has put other Toyota teams out of business, so second tier teams coudl do better if they switched and I think they would.

·
Banned
1,950 Posts
Why does Dodge have to have Dodge engines? Wait!, hear me out.
Everyone in TopFuel uses some type of Hemi engine and has for.....well since the Hemi came out and dominated everyone. The only difference was the funny car body being used.
Nascar has gone this way too...using a Nascar spec car where about the only difference in the cars today are the decals.
Don't a lot of teams buy their engines from the big teams anyway?
Sure would be a lot less cost if you just have to get a front and rear grill approved.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
My prediction: If Dodge returns to NASCAR, it will be with Stewart-Haas Racing.

Tony Stewart is starting a NHRA team in 2022 with drivers Matt Hagen and Leah Pruett. A manufacturer has not been announced yet, but more than likely it will be with Dodge since Matt Hagen and Leah Pruett are sponsored by Mopar/Dodge/SRT.

If Tony Stewart signs with Dodge for his NHRA team, it will be interesting to see what happens with his NASCAR team. I can't see Ford being happy with one of it's NASCAR team owners running a different manufacturer for its NHRA team. Could this be the first step towards Dodge's return to NASCAR with Stewart-Haas Racing? Who knows.

Tony Stewart has a previous relationship with Mopar. Back in the early 2000's, his sprint car team was sponsored by Mopar. He started the SRX racing series with Ray Evernham (a former Dodge NASCAR team owner).
There's many teams thaat runs different manufactures across different sports. Hell Penske does/did ford in nascar, chevy in indycar, and Acura in imsa. GCR did chevy in nascar, honda in indy, and ford in imsa. You also have to remember tony steward racing is different from Stewart Hass Racing just like Hass in f1 has nothing to do with stewart

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I sincerely doubt Dodge or Ram will return to NASCAR anytime soon. First Stellantis has to get its house in order (financially and otherwise). 2024 at the earliest and even then I have my doubts. Racing at the top level is not cheap and the teams need good sponsors. Last I read it runs about $24 million per team per year at the top level (Cup). The new car is not cheap.

If they are going to do it, they should note how Toyota did it. As I recsll, they started in the Truck series and expanded to the other series over time. Toyota poured a lot of money into all three series and did not do it on the cheap.

Maybe SHR would switch, but they switched to Ford not all that long ago. Trackhouse (formerly CGR) is just getting into NASCAR next year so I doubt they would switch manufacturers in the next few years. At best it would one of the lower tier teams unless they start one from scratch. I just don't see Penske, RFR, HMS, Childress, JGR or any other top level team switching to a new manufacturer.
Truck series is a much different land scape now then it was when toyota entered. In fact the truck series ia pretty much a waste of money for manufactures. Almost no factory backed teams, maybe one for each make and that's it. There also spec engines now which means the bodies are slightly different and chassis. They'd be better off jumping to the top 2 series to actually help one another out, especially since xfinity make more power on most tracks currently

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Why does Dodge have to have Dodge engines? Wait!, hear me out.
Everyone in TopFuel uses some type of Hemi engine and has for.....well since the Hemi came out and dominated everyone. The only difference was the funny car body being used.
Nascar has gone this way too...using a Nascar spec car where about the only difference in the cars today are the decals.
Don't a lot of teams buy their engines from the big teams anyway?
Sure would be a lot less cost if you just have to get a front and rear grill approved.
Do you really wanna go the way of nhra? They're bleeding fans hard so maybe no the sereies you wanna try and follow for rules. Have you seen the new gen 7 bodies? The only thing that's the same might be the greenhouse and the body between the wheels. The front and rear are vastly different from one another, it's not like the cot days where decals were the "body"

·
Registered
69 Posts
There's many teams thaat runs different manufactures across different sports. Hell Penske does/did ford in nascar, chevy in indycar, and Acura in imsa. GCR did chevy in nascar, honda in indy, and ford in imsa. You also have to remember tony steward racing is different from Stewart Hass Racing just like Hass in f1 has nothing to do with stewart
Good point.

·
Banned
1,950 Posts
Do you really wanna go the way of nhra? They're bleeding fans hard so maybe no the sereies you wanna try and follow for rules. Have you seen the new gen 7 bodies? The only thing that's the same might be the greenhouse and the body between the wheels. The front and rear are vastly different from one another, it's not like the cot days where decals were the "body"
Yes, the gen7 has different front and rear...current ones are decals. Which is my point, if you don't have to develop a whole new engine program and just focus on front and rear bumpers costs are much lower to get back in.
Nascar moved the series to a driver focused one and away from a manufacturer battle years ago. They should not care if what engine is in what race car as long as it meets their rule specs.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts