Allpar Forums banner
41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
There is an Ilmor built spec engine available. I know a manufacturer can use their own engine but the Ilmor is superior. It was introduced as a cost savings effort and it seems to have worked. All you'd really need to see Ram in Trucks is a body. Xfinity would need an engine, but they didn't run Busch in 2001, so it might be that way again. Ilmor in trucks, Dodge next gen in Cup, then decide if Xfinity is worth the investment.
A Mopar powered by a Spec Motor (especially a "Brand C" based one) is an imposter! You are just cheering for a Dodge body shape with a label on it .If a racecar is not powered by some type of Mopar built motor, I have no interest in following it on the track. I'd rather watch Fords, "Brand C's", and Toyotas racing with Mopar power - like in NHRA- than the other way around.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
A Mopar powered by a Spec Motor (especially a "Brand C" based one) is an imposter! You are just cheering for a Dodge body shape with a label on it .If a racecar is not powered by some type of Mopar built motor, I have no interest in following it on the track. I'd rather watch Fords, "Brand C's", and Toyotas racing with Mopar power - like in NHRA- than the other way around.
If they want to go Cup racing though they need lower series teams to develop talent.

·
Valued Member
2,826 Posts
There is an Ilmor built spec engine available. I know a manufacturer can use their own engine but the Ilmor is superior. It was introduced as a cost savings effort and it seems to have worked. All you'd really need to see Ram in Trucks is a body. Xfinity would need an engine, but they didn't run Busch in 2001, so it might be that way again. Ilmor in trucks, Dodge next gen in Cup, then decide if Xfinity is worth the investment.
When we were getting back in racing in 2001 we had Ilmor quote us a price for developing a new engine.The money they were asking for could have sponsored a Formula One team for a year. We said no thanks and moved on.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
When we were getting back in racing in 2001 we had Ilmor quote us a price for developing a new engine.The money they were asking for could have sponsored a Formula One team for a year. We said no thanks and moved on.
Ilmor is the provider of the spec engine in the truck series. It was introduced as a cost savings effort to save the truck series. If Dodge wants to return and bring Ram to trucks, they'd likely just develop the body and let teams use the Ilmor spec engine. I'm not even sure at this point if OEM specific engines are allowed in trucks. I know teams had the option for a while but I wouldn't be surprised if it's all Ilmor now.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Yes, the gen7 has different front and rear...current ones are decals. Which is my point, if you don't have to develop a whole new engine program and just focus on front and rear bumpers costs are much lower to get back in.
Nascar moved the series to a driver focused one and away from a manufacturer battle years ago. They should not care if what engine is in what race car as long as it meets their rule specs.
Gen 6 is also more than just decals, the fronts and rears are different from one another. Gen 5 were decals which means just decals were last used in 2012

·
Registered
243 Posts
Thank you for the clarification.
My memory isn't quite as sharp as it was.
Your welcome. I rooted for all the Dodge teams in those days. CGR and Davis were bright spots those first couple seasons after the Petty tragedy and Evernham ran hot and cold until Khane showed up. It was disappointing to see Davis do something like that after becoming the number 2 team on the Dodge roster before Penske came over. I took delight in his failure with Toyota.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts