Allpar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14,491 Posts
It has been rumored to be discontinued before only to have Kia refresh it.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
36,734 Posts
“Compared to the sales of the German sedans the Stinger had hoped to challenge, the Stinger's 6,498 units so far this year are about 53% of Audi A4 sales and 27% of BMW 3 Series sales” — perspective against Alfa Romeo.

Q2 reveals Giulia is at 4,284, well below the stinger. Stelvio is at 5,313. 'Course that's just in the USA and I'd expect Alfa to do better in Europe. Also, sales increased 24% on Giulia vs staying the same for Stinger.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
“Compared to the sales of the German sedans the Stinger had hoped to challenge, the Stinger's 6,498 units so far this year are about 53% of Audi A4 sales and 27% of BMW 3 Series sales” — perspective against Alfa Romeo.

Q2 reveals Giulia is at 4,284, well below the stinger. Stelvio is at 5,313. 'Course that's just in the USA and I'd expect Alfa to do better in Europe. Also, sales increased 24% on Giulia vs staying the same for Stinger.
I'd expect the Stinger to do better in Korea, and I'd expect both of them to pull out of the US with those numbers.

Giulia in Europe doesn't seem to be meeting your expectations:

Giulia sales in Europe
2021 through May

Stelvio is doing better in Europe
2021 through May6,550

Both are failing to recover, though.

·
Administrator
36,734 Posts
It has gotten very hard to compete with EVs. Sure, performance EVs don't run at full power all day, but neither do many gasoline cars (Vipers and Hellcats being exceptions), and how often do you need full-on acceleration if you're not a cop or racer?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Why would you buy a Hellcat if you didn't do a pull to at least 100, at least once a week?

Myself, would love a Hellcat to toy around with. My R6 would like the break haha

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
It has gotten very hard to compete with EVs. Sure, performance EVs don't run at full power all day, but neither do many gasoline cars (Vipers and Hellcats being exceptions), and how often do you need full-on acceleration if you're not a cop or racer?
How often do you need it if you are a cop? They probably spend more time at idle with the AC or heater running than the average car.

·
Administrator
36,734 Posts
If I had to choose between a 392 and a Hellcat... I'd probably take the 392 at this point. Sudden brute force acceleration is fun. I don't often need to do 0-60 faster than 485 horsepower will get me there. An electric would do me just fine, though. I don't need the engine roar, and I don't race or continuously run to 100 mph and then stop and do it again over and over.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How often do you need it if you are a cop? They probably spend more time at idle with the AC or heater running than the average car.
Depends on the application. Cars that are assigned to state troopers and rural county deputies see far less idle hours than municipal cars that are run 24/7.

Regardless, they are expected to do everything and be everything, without fail, at an instants notice.

The Stinger made for good competition to the Charger, but I think they got into the game a bit too late, much like the Pontiac and Chevy Holden cars.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Depends on the application. Cars that are assigned to state troopers and rural county deputies see far less idle hours than municipal cars that are run 24/7.

Regardless, they are expected to do everything and be everything, without fail, at an instants notice.

The Stinger made for good competition to the Charger, but I think they got into the game a bit too late, much like the Pontiac and Chevy Holden cars.
The problem was the price. Stinger starts at $36,090 with the base 300 HP engine, a 300 HP Charger is $30,570. Of course that is the same problem of shipping the Holdens from Australia to the US.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The problem was the price. Stinger starts at $36,090 with the base 300 HP engine, a 300 HP Charger is $30,570. Of course that is the same problem of shipping the Holdens from Australia to the US.
Definitely, price is a huge issue, especially now with inflated prices in the US market. A couple three years or so ago, they decided to sell Chrysler 300's with rebates that brought the cost down almost equal to what Charger Pursuit models were bidding out for. No way anyone else could compete with that kind of value.
Whether that affected the Stinger, I don't know - I'm sure someone else more familiar with the retail markets would know - but combined with Charger sales, that was a very aggressive strategy that essentially finished off the Caprice/Impala/Malibu and Taurus models. Probably a Caddy or two, and a Buick or something else in there, too.

·
Administrator
36,734 Posts
Your comment did bring me to think, “Y'know, those electrics would be great for speed traps.” Sit there with the a/c or heat on, now and then do a 0-100-in-five-seconds, slowing down brings some of that energy back into the battery, and back to normal, no need to start an engine or leave it idling between speeders.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Your comment did bring me to think, “Y'know, those electrics would be great for speed traps.” Sit there with the a/c or heat on, now and then do a 0-100-in-five-seconds, slowing down brings some of that energy back into the battery, and back to normal, no need to start an engine or leave it idling between speeders.
For 100% traffic enforcement, like the old Camaro/Mustang police units, that may work, at least until they get into a multi-jurisdictional high speed pursuit, or a big wreck that ties everything up for hours. The insufficient range will cause no shortage of cussing.

So far, it sounds like the new STLA Charger is definitely on its way, including a new Pursuit model. I predict the powertrain options for the squads will transition from the 3.6 and 5.7 cars to BEV and PHEV, probably with standard AWD. That outta stir up the LASD tests for 2024. 😉

·
Administrator
36,734 Posts
For 100% traffic enforcement, like the old Camaro/Mustang police units, that may work, at least until they get into a multi-jurisdictional high speed pursuit, or a big wreck that ties everything up for hours. The insufficient range will cause no shortage of cussing.

So far, it sounds like the new STLA Charger is definitely on its way, including a new Pursuit model. I predict the powertrain options for the squads will transition from the 3.6 and 5.7 cars to BEV and PHEV, probably with standard AWD. That outta stir up the LASD tests for 2024. 😉
I looked at the chart of battery powers for each class, and there should be more than enough range for a 12 hour shift with a high speed pursuit or big wreck. With the big wreck, how much time are the police cars actually moving around? Aren't they mostly sitting there with the lights flashing?

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I looked at the chart of battery powers for each class, and there should be more than enough range for a 12 hour shift with a high speed pursuit or big wreck. With the big wreck, how much time are the police cars actually moving around? Aren't they mostly sitting there with the lights flashing?
Doesn't sitting there with the AC or heater and lights running drain the battery? It doesn't contribute anything to range, but it does drain the battery. How fast does it drain on a 20 degree day or a 110 degree day?

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Inductive chargers with solar panels at the emergency turnaround points on divided Interstate routes, for example, would seem to alleviate most concerns with patrol cars when you're running heavy A/C. Put the solar panel directly over the turnaround and that would also reduce the noonday sun over the patrol car. The state police/highway patrol could also configure these stations as part of their communications system in remote areas. Given what I foresee as the expected future use of of drones in traffic policing, those locations would also absorb that charging requirement.

·
Administrator
36,734 Posts
Inductive chargers with solar panels at the emergency turnaround points on divided Interstate routes, for example, would seem to alleviate most concerns with patrol cars when you're running heavy A/C. Put the solar panel directly over the turnaround and that would also reduce the noonday sun over the patrol car. The state police/highway patrol could also configure these stations as part of their communications system in remote areas. Given what I foresee as the expected future use of of drones in traffic policing, those locations would also absorb that charging requirement.
I think if they did that, the cops would be happier anyway - while the Charger a/c can easily cope with the hot sun, I imagine not all pursuit cars are that way.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts