Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the O2 sensor in my 87 non-turbo Sundance, and while under the car, I noticed the stove has rotted out (I've since plugged off the vacuum lines on the airbox, as the inlet flap now does nothing).

I'm curious about what the options are for the stove hole in the exhaust manifold. If I blocked it off, would it make the engine a little quieter? This poor old engine is a little loud, and I'd like to quieten it a bit. Would blocking it off raise my emission levels, or negatively impact the engine or exhaust systems?

·
Registered
747 Posts
The heated air stove pipe assemby will help with cold weather drivability. I fabricated one with the remnants of the old one. It does help in the winter.

·
Registered
83 Posts
my stove has rotted away too. would anyone have any pics of the OEM stove to help me visualize what i'm trying to fabricate? or pics of any DIY stove? thanks

·
Super Moderator
21,369 Posts
I see no universal exhaust stove repair kits available. They were spot-welded sheetmetal halves around the exhaust manifold runners.
If it runs OK cold, I wouldn't worry too much about it. All the newer EFI don't need warmed air and they did away with this heated air system after a while.

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
You won't be able to get in there to unbolt the old one and replace the new one, with the engine in the car. There are three nail-head bolts holding it on, with three nuts. And there is no effect on engine noise, these bolt over the exhaust manifold, but do not shield any noise.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
There's no hole. The stove sits on top of the manifold. I would try to fab one up if you can.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts