Allpar Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks ago my exhaust started to smell.It is the worst when i start it. It smells like some sort of chemical. Not eggs and not sweet. It is not really offensive but it is noticeable with the top down. Could it be that i went from 87 fuel with ethanol to 91 pure ? I also ran some of the cleaner through a while ago. the car has been on the good gas for a while before the smell started.

3.0 no cat , new o2 sensor, cold air intake. No smoke comes out of the tail pipe. The tail pipe has a thin coating of black soot on it.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Black soot indicates a slightly rich air/fuel mixture. Have you looked at your air filter lately? It may be that simple.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
"Dirty"? Clogged, maybe. In that case, you simply replace it with a new one.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my cat ran away months ago... It is a new smell that just started a few days ago. I think may just be a leak where they welded it together.
I have a k n filter cone shaped , i have had that on for months also.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Was the cat gutted? Most tailpipes will accumulate a very thin coating of soot on them , black stains on the back of the car are not normal. I would be interested to see the plugs, they're a great tell-tale as to what's going on in the combustion chamber.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I also drive a 3.0 without a cat. The smell is pretty bad.
I´ll add a new converter after rebuilding my engine (oil consumption after 200k).

Show us the sparks and / or plugs, maybe that´s your problem.

And a little note.....a stock 3.0 runs not even a bit stronger without a cat. converter. Exactly the same engine output.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Yeah, for sure run a cat. Thing is, these engines and control systems were designed, engineered, and tuned to run with all emissions controls as a complete system, not "add ons" as they were moons ago. Disabling or removing can actually hurt performance believe it or not. :shifting: Just 0.02cents......

·
Registered
698 Posts
Yeah, for sure run a cat. Thing is, these engines and control systems were designed, engineered, and tuned to run with all emissions controls as a complete system, not "add ons" as they were moons ago. Disabling or removing can actually hurt performance believe it or not. :shifting: Just 0.02cents......

True story!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts