Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
92 Caravan with a 3.3. Put another engine in it nearly a year ago. After nearly a thousand miles on it, then it started cutting out when turning a corner. Never waiting for light. Well, in town and it died and could not start it. Had to call flatbed and haul it home. This morning, decided to crack it to see if fuel pump was working. Car started,but cracking was noisy, like something I never heard before. I let engine idle for about one minute and lifters were chattering like they were not getting oil. Checked and oil one quart down. It should not make lifters chatter.

Had oil pressure, good oil pressure, according to gauge. Why lifters were noisy is rather strange. Sure would appreciate any help on this one. Thanks very much!

·
Super Moderator
21,355 Posts
Is oil reaching the top of the heads? Remove the oil filler cap and look for good oiling.
How is the oil? Any fuel thinning or need for change?
Are you sure the it is the lifters making noise? There are other things that can make a rattle or clatter noise, like exhaust. Is the noise deep inside the engine? Lifters are generally very durable on these engines, unless the oiling fails.
Stalling on turns can be from movement to the left or right of the engine/transaxle and a wiring harness may have rubbed through to ground or a connector is flexing and losing contact?
Fuel slosh in the tank can temporarily starve pump intake and send a bubble up to the fuel rail to cause stalling on turns also.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
You get a chance to look at that flex plate yet, Mike?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
chuzz said:
You get a chance to look at that flex plate yet, Mike?
Yes, nothing wrong there. I think Imperial Crown has answers which seem to match my thinking. Going to fully check out his recommendations. Thanks very much!!
ImperialCrown said:
Is oil reaching the top of the heads? Remove the oil filler cap and look for good oiling.
How is the oil? Any fuel thinning or need for change?
Are you sure the it is the lifters making noise? There are other things that can make a rattle or clatter noise, like exhaust. Is the noise deep inside the engine? Lifters are generally very durable on these engines, unless the oiling fails.
Stalling on turns can be from movement to the left or right of the engine/transaxle and a wiring harness may have rubbed through to ground or a connector is flexing and losing contact?
Fuel slosh in the tank can temporarily starve pump intake and send a bubble up to the fuel rail to cause stalling on turns also.
I tend to think the stalling comes from either part of the wiring harness rubbing and possibly a connector. I see some stuff that needs to be checked out in that regard.
Went out to car yesterday and started right up, no noises. Oil pressure good, etc. Needs an oil and filter change. Best to do it and double check wiring harness. I'm thinking a short caused by rubbing against something is the cause of the stalling.

Will get back with you and let you know what I find. Thanks very much for the help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts