Allpar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
KOG
7,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted the beginning of this weeks ago, but here's the update. They've not disputed that the warranty is in effect. But they've now sent me to two different dealers two times. And all four times have insisted on a dealer rebuild, but all four times have not had a tech qualified to do the rebuild.

Latest offer is to buy the car back for $6500. I politely declined their "generous" offer. I asked to have the zone rep contact me and he hasn't done so in a week.

Today I called the three large dealers nearest me to find out what they would charge me to install a MOPAR reman. They are all within $100 of $6000. It's now obvious to me what Stellantis is trying to do. They want to void the warranty by buying the car back. They'll then patch it and resell it. From their position it makes financial sense, at least short term. They've removed any future liability for any other warranty claims. And it won't cost them much right now. From my position it's a loss to me. I can't replace the car for what thhey're offering and even if I did I'd have no comparable warranty, a substantial loss of value.

The other side of this is that they could have installed a MOPAR reman three months ago at the 11 hour labor cost and about $4000 for the part at retail. They are doing their very best to alienate a long term loyal customer who influences many other people. I've previously sent two letters to the chairwoman with no response. I've kept in contact with Customer Care. Today I was told that if the zone rep hasn't contacted me within two business days to call back and let them know.

I got an MBA 40 years ago. I know all too well how accountants and finance people manage businesses. That's exactly what's going on here. They're shooting themselves in the foot and don't care because whoever is making this decision expects to be promoted to a higher position for saving money and damn the blowback in the future. I've seen this tpe of short sighted "management" in numerous businesses over the years and it always, without fail, results in the business going into a long term decline. While the people who did this get promoted and retire with massive pensions before the business fails.

Reactions: NWbyNW

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
23,672 Posts
Here is a link to the previous post on this situation:

A lifetime powertrain contract is here (see arbitration steps):

I seem to remember a provision where Chrysler could restrict or deny coverage due to the costs exceeding the value of the vehicle. It would be at their discretion whether to offer you a trade-in deal if coverage was refused.
It seems a little dishonest in this case, but I am removed from the situation.

Perhaps ask @OfficialMopar what to do?
If you want to continue owning this vehicle for longer & are not yet ready to trade for new, that should be considered. Of course they would rather get you into a new vehicle, that's the nature of the sales business (not the service business).

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
39,089 Posts
If the company plans to buy it back, I doubt they will fix and resell it. It would make more sense to just fix it. They can indeed void the warranty and compensate you for that. It's in my contract, anyway.

·
Virginia Gentleman
16,074 Posts
Isn't the provision that Imperial referred to (where the cost to repair is higher than the value of the vehicle) as buying the warranty back? Or is it they buy the vehicle? I can't remember.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I posted the beginning of this weeks ago, but here's the update. They've not disputed that the warranty is in effect. But they've now sent me to two different dealers two times. And all four times have insisted on a dealer rebuild, but all four times have not had a tech qualified to do the rebuild.

Latest offer is to buy the car back for $6500. I politely declined their "generous" offer. I asked to have the zone rep contact me and he hasn't done so in a week.

Today I called the three large dealers nearest me to find out what they would charge me to install a MOPAR reman. They are all within $100 of $6000. It's now obvious to me what Stellantis is trying to do. They want to void the warranty by buying the car back. They'll then patch it and resell it. From their position it makes financial sense, at least short term. They've removed any future liability for any other warranty claims. And it won't cost them much right now. From my position it's a loss to me. I can't replace the car for what thhey're offering and even if I did I'd have no comparable warranty, a substantial loss of value.

The other side of this is that they could have installed a MOPAR reman three months ago at the 11 hour labor cost and about $4000 for the part at retail. They are doing their very best to alienate a long term loyal customer who influences many other people. I've previously sent two letters to the chairwoman with no response. I've kept in contact with Customer Care. Today I was told that if the zone rep hasn't contacted me within two business days to call back and let them know.

I got an MBA 40 years ago. I know all too well how accountants and finance people manage businesses. That's exactly what's going on here. They're shooting themselves in the foot and don't care because whoever is making this decision expects to be promoted to a higher position for saving money and damn the blowback in the future. I've seen this tpe of short sighted "management" in numerous businesses over the years and it always, without fail, results in the business going into a long term decline. While the people who did this get promoted and retire with massive pensions before the business fails.
They can indeed buy you out of the warranty if the vehicle is essentially totaled. I don't believe they buy the car back, atleast not in the contracts I have had. They usually just cut you a check and tell you the warranty has ended. Again, not sure how every lifetime warranty has been structured, read the one you signed. Chrysler is not voiding minivan warranties to flip them for profit in buy backs. Depending on trim level,condition,mileage $6,500 is not at all a bad offer for an 09.

Lifetime warranty is for the lifetime of the vehicle, not the lifetime of the person driving it. I don't believe they are trying to alienate you. You essentially had a 13 year unlimited mile warranty.

It is your right and in your interest to fight for the warranty, but if the cost to repair is obviously over the value of the van, the chances are very slim of keeping it.

·
KOG
7,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've contacted a lawyer.
Here is a link to the previous post on this situation:

A lifetime powertrain contract is here (see arbitration steps):

I seem to remember a provision where Chrysler could restrict or deny coverage due to the costs exceeding the value of the vehicle. It would be at their discretion whether to offer you a trade-in deal if coverage was refused.
It seems a little dishonest in this case, but I am removed from the situation.

Perhaps ask @OfficialMopar what to do?
If you want to continue owning this vehicle for longer & are not yet ready to trade for new, that should be considered. Of course they would rather get you into a new vehicle, that's the nature of the sales business (not the service business).
I can find nothing in the warranty posted which allows them to force a buy back regardless of cost of repair. I understand that they are under no oligation to pay for out of service time, but they have severely abused that privilege in this case as the vehicle has been out of service for over three months when they could have had it back on the road in three days or less. The transmission is in stock at the first dealer I took the car to.
The only way they would get me into a new vehicle would be to honor the warranty on this one. I had been looking, but no more. The way they've treated me so far I will be ending a string of 15 Chrysler vehicles going back to 1970. And I won't be inclined to recommend a Chrysler branded vehicle to anyone else ever again. I now working on the assumption that Stellantis just really doesn't much care about Chrysler customers. That their policy is being set by short sighted people who are determined to squeeze the market right now and forget the future.

There has been no dispute that the warranty is in effect and that I've complied with the provisions on my part. They've just refused to perform. Someone up the chain of command is just not concerned about doing what was promised. In other words, someone in authority just doesn't care and is hiding, refuses to have any contact with a customer probably because they have no way to justify their actions.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I've contacted a lawyer.
A lawyer doesn't care if you win or lose, they still get paid.

Depending on how much they do for you, they could end up costing you 1/2 or more of what Chrysler has already offered you.

Be prepared to be patient and don't expect anything to happen fast, very little will happen for at least a year.

And you will have to stop contacting Chrysler Customer Assistance, or anyone associated with Chrysler, that includes your local dealer about this particular matter, it's now between your lawyer and Chryslers legal team, and they have a team.

I had hired a lawyer when a repair shop was suing me for some online reviews I posted about their services they did to my PT.

We were all prepared to go to trial, which was scheduled for the following week. A couple days before the trial, my lawyer calls me in to his office so we can finalize my case and our strategy.

The First Amendment to free speech is not absolute and you can be held liable for online postings that you make. I also could not get anyone from the shop that fixed my vehicle, to come into court to say that the repairs the first shop did were negligent or faulty.

The day before the trial, my lawyer contacted me with news that the other lawyer was offering a settlement for 1/2 of what I was seeking for my vehicle repairs. I told my lawyer that I would accept the settlement, it wasn't everything I was seeking, but to get any $ out of the other party was a win to me, especially when I was facing a $9500 lawsuit.

A condition of the settlement was that I had to remove my online reviews. But in the end, I won and he lost.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Font Rectangle Number Circle Pattern

This is an screen shot from the plan that I currently have. Have you looked at the copy of the contract you signed? If this clause is in there I would ask for the payout. $6,500 would more than cover the price for the warranty plan when you paid for it. Basically paid for itself multiple times over. Figure out what you want to do with the van. Sell as is or dump thousands putting an transmission in it. Again, I don't know what lifetime plan you have. There were multiple offered throughout the years. Sounds like the dealer is trying to see if they can get you on the hook for a new car payment. I'm guessing they would take your payout and sell the van at copart. Sounds more like dealer shadyness than a Chrysler corporate issue as far as the trade in is concerned, but i can't speak to every plan in existence.

·
Super Moderator
40,009 Posts
View attachment 87449

This is an screen shot from the plan that I currently have. Have you looked at the copy of the contract you signed? If this clause is in there I would ask for the payout. $6,500 would more than cover the price for the warranty plan when you paid for it. Basically paid for itself multiple times over. Figure out what you want to do with the van. Sell as is or dump thousands putting an engine in it. Again, I don't know what lifetime plan you have. There were multiple offered throughout the years. Sounds like the dealer is trying to see if they can get you on the hook for a new car payment. I'm guessing they would take your payout and sell the van at copart. Sounds more like dealer shadyness than a Chrysler corporate issue as far as the trade in is concerned, but i can't speak to every plan in existence.
At the time of his purchase, the lifetime warranty was standard, not an additional contract.

Reactions: Tony K

·
Super Moderator
40,009 Posts
I do believe KOG is correct, the 2008/2009 lifetime warranty does not mention the situation where repairs exceed the value of the vehicle.

Reactions: Doug D

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
23,672 Posts
He will have to read his specific contract.
The Lifetime warranty was more for a selling point than anything else. All cars depreciate in value over time and Chrysler never intended to lose any money on this.
What I remember reading about 13 years ago was what purplepassengerpete posted.
And here we are. Thirteen years later this 'lifetime contract' has become a sales tool.

I don't think that a Mopar reman 62TE exists for this application. The R8039386AC supersedes to a R8039386AF.
Zero in inventory. Zero weekly demand.
The last vehicle to use the 62TE is the Ram Promaster and that assembly would not apply to a 2009 RT.
Font Rectangle Screenshot Terrestrial plant Parallel

Product Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot

Reactions: purplepassengerpete

·
Virginia Gentleman
16,074 Posts
I do believe KOG is correct, the 2008/2009 lifetime warranty does not mention the situation where repairs exceed the value of the vehicle.
I believe you are correct. The benefit purplepassengerpete posted is from the AddCare or MaxCare extended warranty plan(s). The Lifetime Powertrain plan probably doesn't have that. Maybe it's in the sales contract?

·
Super Moderator
40,009 Posts
I believe you are correct. The benefit purplepassengerpete posted is from the AddCare or MaxCare extended warranty plan(s). The Lifetime Powertrain plan probably doesn't have that. Maybe it's in the sales contract?
But then it would still have to be mentioned in the warranty text about other documents taking precedence over the warranty text and I don't see any mention of that.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Have you had the 5 & 10 year inspection done, with proper documention?

Do you have all of your service records in order? You could be required to prove all previous maintenance.

I found this thread on another forum. I haven't read every post in it, but it may contain some helpful info:

·
Super Moderator
40,009 Posts
Have you had the 5 & 10 year inspection done, with proper documention?

Do you have all of your service records in order? You could be required to prove all previous maintenance.

I found this thread on another forum. I haven't read every post in it, but it may contain some helpful info:

He said above the inspections were performed and documented.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Here is the 2009 warranty text for a PT Cruiser. I cannot find any exclusion based on vehicle value.
To me it sees like a screw up on Chrysler legal's part.
Kind of just leads me back to my original question. What "lifetime" warranty does he have in the first place? I have an 09 Town an Country with MaxCare so situations will vary depending on what plan he has.

On standard warranty I don't know if he would get a pay out. The link being shared around is a warranty information booklet, not the actual contract. I guarantee Chrysler has a total loss cause written in it, I just can't speak to what the procedure is in that event.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Kind of just leads me back to my original question. What "lifetime" warranty does he have in the first place? I have an 09 Town an Country with MaxCare so situations will vary depending on what plan he has.

On standard warranty I don't know if he would get a pay out. The link being shared around is a warranty information booklet, not the actual contract. I guarantee Chrysler has a total loss cause written in it, I just can't speak to what the procedure is in that event.
One would have to imagine that such a provision would be in there. It's hard to imagine that all the high-paid lawyers that were reviewing and writing that contract, would have forgotten to put it in there.

It's going to be buried in some fine print, probably near the end of the contract.

·
Super Moderator
40,009 Posts

The text of the 2009 lifetime power train warranty was posted in a link above. It is not Maxcare. The power train warranty text says nothing about payout if repairs exceed the value of the vehicle.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts