Allpar Forums banner
41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Super Moderator
40,011 Posts
Once you submit for arbitration, just like involving a lawyer, any progress (such as it is) will stop. I still consider it a last resort. Once the arbitration decision is made, even if not accepted, there is not going to be further negotiations and it would only be a legal issue then.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Once you submit for arbitration, just like involving a lawyer, any progress (such as it is) will stop. I still consider it a last resort. Once the arbitration decision is made, even if not accepted, there is not going to be further negotiations and it would only be a legal issue then.
Well then KOG has 3 options:

(1) Chrysler has offered to rebuild the existing trans, which is their option under the warranty.

(2) Chrysler has made a cash offer to satisfy the terms of the warranty. It's not an option listed in the warranty that Chrysler can do that to satisfy the terms of the warranty, but it certainly is within their right to make such an offer, and they have appeared to have done it to others under the same warranty, so they have set a precedence of cash offers. This is probably the least expensive option in favor of Chrysler to handle this case. They get out of having to do any actual repairs.

(3) If KOG has retained a lawyer, his contacts with Chrysler (including his dealership) must cease, and his lawyer handles everything from this point forward. His lawyer will probably even tell him that, but if he even mentions to Chrysler Customer Assistance or his dealership the "L" word, they will immediately shut down all conversations and tell him to have his lawyer contact the Chrysler legal team through the proper channels. So in that sense, getting a lawyer is almost like arbitration, only your lawyer is doing it for you.

About the only thing a lawyer will be able to do, is perhaps negotiate a higher cash value for your vehicle, but then, if the lawyer is successful in getting more $ for you, it would be offset by whatever the lawyer charges you to handle your case, so in the end, you may be no better off than negotiating the $ directly with Chrysler.

I don't know all the details of your van so had to make some assumptions, but I used items that resulted in the highest value being estimated from KBB:

You also may be able to get a little more $ for your vehicle especially if you have done any recent expensive work or improvements to it, similar to negotiating with an insurance company if they want to total your vehicle following an accident. Many times you can get more than their initial offer.

Reactions: World14

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Also, part of the problem with getting any relief could be because Chrysler no longer exists, since going through bankruptcy.

Stellantis probably has no real desire to honor and make good on something prior to them taking over.

So your best option would be to continue to work with your local dealership, especially if it's one that you have done business with for a long time. They may have more of a stake or interest in resolving your issue.

Or you may have to take more drastic steps to get someone's attention, like picketing outside the dealership.

Back in 2010 when I had issues with my cellular carrier, I finally made a sign and since I worked nearby, on my lunch hour I would go park outside their store (I have obliterated all identifying info)

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Calling dealers and asking if they have the required technician would seem to be a good next step, since Chrysler said they would authorize the repair given the right tech.
That's actually a pretty good idea, and it looks like you have several dealers in Georgia to start calling:

One with a qualified tech may not be close to you, and if successful in locating one, you may have to spend a little $ to travel to that dealer, but you may get the greater benefit of getting your van repaired.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
If the lawyer's first option is court, find another lawyer.
Going to court or some kind of $ settlement is about their only option, a lawyer, or even the legal process, can't force a company to perform or do anything, all they can do is get $ for you.

·
Virginia Gentleman
16,077 Posts
Whether KOG goes through arbitration or not is ultimately up to him.

At best arbitration is only going to get him a settlement.

Here's what we know -
1) Chrysler has no transmissions for his vehicle available.
2) Chrysler would honor the warranty by rebuilding the transmission, but none of the dealerships near KOG have a qualified technician. And Chrysler seems unwilling to fly one in from anywhere.
3) KOG is unwilling to accept having the transmission rebuilt (which at this point is his only option short of arbitration).
4) (Most important) Stellantis has pretty much alienated a life-long Chrysler buyer. Even if KOG accepted the rebuild and Chrysler managed to find a qualified tech, I wouldn't be surprised if KOG decided that was it and he would no longer purchase anything under the Stellantis umbrella.

Years ago, when the Honda Civic Hybrid came out, co-worker bought one. Within the first two years, the battery failed. Honda flew in a tech to temporarily disconnect the battery until a replacement arrived. A week or so later, the same tech was flown back to R&R the battery and reconnect everything. My co-worker didn't pay a dime and Honda did not fight him over it.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
A part of resolving any dispute, is a little compromise or give and take by both parties. You can't yell, scream, kick and stomp and think you'll get whatever you want.

If a tech could be located that could do the rebuild, the rebuild would certainly be covered should something happen to it in the future, so I wouldn't be concerned with a rebuild.

If the rebuild is not accepted, then the only other option is $, which has already been offered.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Compass
901 Posts
I'm incredibly lost on where people are saying the 62TE for this vehicle is no longer available, unless this is a 3.3 T&C with the 41TE.
On his original post, I commented that the 41TE was long discontinued, and there were no 62TE's available at the time for KOG's 2009 with 180,000 miles. Refer to Imperial's post #12 where he shows you right where R8039386AF has 18 in the distributor, which is what a dealer would order from. There was 19 as I wrote this.
Also, under ANY company's warranty, THEY dictate what THEY want to do under that warranty if it's not already stated that they'll do something exact. If they want to replace, they'll replace. They want to repair, they'll repair. It's the company's decision. I've never heard of a company offering the customer their own customized warranty experience, where they'll get anything they want, even if it's not broken (I'm not saying for this whole situation, that it's not broken. It obviously is), and the company pays no questions asked.
It seems to be that, under Mopar warranty price, they're paying more for a reman rather than a rebuild or just getting you out of the van and them scraping/wholesaling it. And they're right to offer either choice: a company shouldn't lose more money just because there's a chance someone can convince another soul to go to a dealership and then HOPE that they can get them to buy new.

·
Super Moderator
40,011 Posts
I'm incredibly lost on where people are saying the 62TE for this vehicle is no longer available, unless this is a 3.3 T&C with the 41TE.
On his original post, I commented that the 41TE was long discontinued, and there were no 62TE's available at the time for KOG's 2009 with 180,000 miles. Refer to Imperial's post #12 where he shows you right where R8039386AF has 18 in the distributor, which is what a dealer would order from. There was 19 as I wrote this.
Also, under ANY company's warranty, THEY dictate what THEY want to do under that warranty if it's not already stated that they'll do something exact. If they want to replace, they'll replace. They want to repair, they'll repair. It's the company's decision. I've never heard of a company offering the customer their own customized warranty experience, where they'll get anything they want, even if it's not broken (I'm not saying for this whole situation, that it's not broken. It obviously is), and the company pays no questions asked.
It seems to be that, under Mopar warranty price, they're paying more for a reman rather than a rebuild or just getting you out of the van and them scraping/wholesaling it. And they're right to offer either choice: a company shouldn't lose more money just because there's a chance someone can convince another soul to go to a dealership and then HOPE that they can get them to buy new.
Here is the problem, Stellantis still has to abide by the agreement they inherited:
1) There is no buyout clause in this warranty. They cannot force him to take that option. They could make a nice enough offer, but his acceptance is voluntary.
2) The local dealers have no tech qualified to do the rebuild despite the time elapsed.
Seems like that only leaves the reman install unless they either tow it to another dealer that can do the work, send in a qualified tech, or offer more money to buy the warranty out.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Compass
901 Posts
Here is the problem, Stellantis still has to abide by the agreement they inherited:
1) There is no buyout clause in this warranty. They cannot force him to take that option. They could make a nice enough offer, but his acceptance is voluntary.
2) The local dealers have no tech qualified to do the rebuild despite the time elapsed.
Seems like that only leaves the reman install unless they either tow it to another dealer that can do the work, send in a qualified tech, or offer more money to buy the warranty out.
I mean, I never said that KOG was forced to take the offer for a buyout, but that's beside the point.
Only 'suit I see is that someone, either a district rep or someone from Auburn Hills, is refusing to do their job appropriately. Unless KOG lives by the 3 outliers, there's like 16 dealerships around Atlanta. There's absolutely no way there isn't a level 3 transmission tech available to do any transmission request in the area.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Then it sounds like it's time to file for arbitration.

No legal representatives are usually allowed in arbitration, just you, someone from the arbitration entity, and a representative of the company.

If KOG is successful in presenting his case, maybe the arbitration entity can enforce specific performance of a repair.

·
Super Moderator
40,011 Posts
I mean, I never said that KOG was forced to take the offer for a buyout, but that's beside the point.
Only 'suit I see is that someone, either a district rep or someone from Auburn Hills, is refusing to do their job appropriately. Unless KOG lives by the 3 outliers, there's like 16 dealerships around Atlanta. There's absolutely no way there isn't a level 3 transmission tech available to do any transmission request in the area.
He's not in the Atlanta area.

·
KOG
7,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
He's not in the Atlanta area.
I've just researched ownership of Stellantis to see if I could buy a share of stock and speak at the annual meeting.
They aren't listed in the U.S., entirely a foreign company now. So that option is a non starter as well.

Customer care called again this morning to see if zone rep had called. No. Company remains unresponsive. Won't refer me to a dealer qualified to repair, won't authorize the reman which could have been done 3 months ago for less than the buy out offered. And the part is in stock at my local dealer who is authorized to do R&R.

They obviously don't care that the vehicle is out of service and seem to be intent on trying to finding a way to cancel the warranty with a buy out.

I don't even know what to say at this point.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
I've just researched ownership of Stellantis to see if I could buy a share of stock and speak at the annual meeting.
They aren't listed in the U.S., entirely a foreign company now. So that option is a non starter as well.

Customer care called again this morning to see if zone rep had called. No. Company remains unresponsive. Won't refer me to a dealer qualified to repair, won't authorize the reman which could have been done 3 months ago for less than the buy out offered. And the part is in stock at my local dealer who is authorized to do R&R.

They obviously don't care that the vehicle is out of service and seem to be intent on trying to finding a way to cancel the warranty with a buy out.

I don't even know what to say at this point.
Have you asked for the Zone Rep contact info yourself? You should be able to contact them, rather than you sitting around waiting for their call.

Their contact info should be no secret. I don't know how accurate this info is, as I found it on another thread, and it may be a little old:

If the above is not accurate, your dealership Service Manager or Owner/CEO should be able to provide it to you.

If they ask you why you want it, just tell them that their service department is aware of the issue.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Good thing I mentioned the outliers then 😂
Still kinda surprising. Maybe the SM's doesn't care about tech levels, which is another issue in it's own right.
I wonder how they would send a tech out though. I've never heard of that before, to be honest.
Does it take a Level 3 Tech to rebuild a trans?

Can a Level 1 or 2 Tech replace a trans that has already been rebuilt?

·
Super Moderator
40,011 Posts
Does it take a Level 3 Tech to rebuild a trans?

Can a Level 1 or 2 Tech replace a trans that has already been rebuilt?
I’ve removed and installed engines and transmissions. I’ve watched engines and transmissions being rebuilt. Removal and installation is physical labor, but far different than the precision work and tools for a rebuild.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
I’ve removed and installed engines and transmissions. I’ve watched engines and transmissions being rebuilt. Removal and installation is physical labor, but far different than the precision work and tools for a rebuild.
In post #56 KOG says his dealer has a trans in stock.

If a lesser-level tech can do the replacement, then there is no need to search for a Level 3 Tech, and the replacement, with existing parts and labor should proceed.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts