Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I replaced the front struts and rear shocks on the GC a couple of years ago, along with sway bar bushings and end links. I got the Monroe struts at Advance Auto Parts for $56.99 each. Now, I'm starting to notice that they seem to want to bounce a little too much and just don't feel right wnen I go over bumps or railroad tracks. I'm thinking of replacing them again with quick struts. But here's a big price difference when I shop around. I won't use Autozone because I don't like Gabriel shocks and struts. Personal reasons. I priced the quick struts at Advance and they run $219.99 for the left one and $214.99 for the right one. I can get the exact same Monroe quick strut from Rockauto for $129.99 for the left and $130.99 for the right one. That's a $174 difference. I've got to get up under it and make sure that the struts are shot, but am just surprised at the markup at Advance. I thought they were more competitive, but if I have to replace them, I know where I'll be shopping from now on. What do you guys think? I can even get a cheaper off-brand from Rockauto for $75.99 apiece. The van has nearly 200,000 miles on it now and still runs great and looks good. I think it's still worth the investment, even though money is hard to come by nowadays. Have any of you guys bought the quick struts from Rockauto and if so, are you happy with them?

·
Registered
398 Posts
I have bought Quick Struts for a 1997 Intrepid from Amazon.com a few years back and they were easy to put in and got another 2 years out of the car before it was traded in. In that two years, I never had any trouble with them. I have bought Monroe brand struts, not the complete Quick Strut though from rock for my Stratus and yes they are so much cheaper on Rock Auto over the Advance and Oreilly type stores. It is amazing, I would never buy suspension from anywhere but amazon or rockauto. I agree with your Gabriel statement, always had fitment issues with them and they started clunking not soon after they were put in. Monroes have always been better for me. But it is defiantly a personal preference though, many people will say Monroes are bad, Gabriels are good ect. I just can report I had good luck with both the Quick Strut and the Monroe brand on a whole. Good luck with your choice

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
You know you can get any Monroe strut replaced for free if they are worn out already. Monroe has a lifetime warranty on all their struts even against wear. Check on the monroe site for information.

Tenneco Inc. warrants qualifying Monroe® products against defects and wear-out when used on private passenger cars and light trucks under normal operating conditions for as long as such original purchaser owns the vehicle on which they were originally installed.

Qualifying Products
  • Monroe® OESpectrum® Shocks and Struts
  • Monroe® Reflex® Shocks and Struts
  • Monroe® Sensa-Trac® Shocks and Struts
  • Monroe® Quick-Strut® replacement assemblies
  • Monroe® Gas-Magnum® Shocks
Tenneco's obligation under this warranty is limited to replacement of the worn-out or defective product in accordance with this warranty. Cost of removal and installation are not included, and any incidental and consequential damages are excluded under this warranty, regardless of when the failure occurs. This warranty has no cash value. This warranty does not apply to products which have been modified, improperly applied or installed on vehicles used for commercial or racing purposes.

To make a claim under this warranty, return the worn-out or defective product with the dated original receipt to the dealer or retailer from whom it was purchased or to a Tenneco dealer for verification and exchange under this warranty.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It looks like the right side one has excess oil on it which would indicate it being defective. However, I'm not one that likes to replace one strut or shock, I think they need to be replaced in pairs. I don't know if Advance would honor the warranty on both sides and give me a refund or not, but I plan on finding out. If not, I'll just order online and stop doing business with them. I've gotten where I don't much like the personnel working there nowadays anyway. Tennesco has a couple of plants within 50 miles of where I live.

·
Super Moderator
36,916 Posts
I would see if they will warranty at least the leaking one, then order the other side from Rockauto.com if Advance won't replace both.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Some things at Advance Auto can be quite expensive. I only use them when I can get a 30% or 40% coupon on line and then order online for pickup at the local store. It works for a lot of items but for these quick struts, Rock Auto will likely have a better deal, even if they charge as much as $50 to ship it. You can also always find a 5% off coupon for Rock Auto online.

Example: I just bought new brake pads for my 1996 G Voyager. The local Advance store charges $33.95 for the Wearever Gold pads. I found an online coupon for $10 off any online order of $30 or more. My pads cost $23.95 plus tax and I picked them up within 20 minutes at my local store using the order online - pickup at local store system. Just by using the computer to find the coupon and make the order, I saved about 30%.

In this case, I would not likely have saved any money by mail ordering, but that is not always true. You have to plan ahead and shop around. I was only rotating the tires when I noticed the pads were about 7/8 of the way worn down, so getting them immediately was really worth it in this case (i.e. no planning ahead because I didn't know they were worn that bad).

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've had to put everything on hold for now. My 100 year old mothers health has taken a turn for the worse, my wife has a fractured foot and I'm the one trying to take care of both of them. In addition to that, my wife has 3 doctors appointments next week (all in Nashville) and another impending surgery. Man, I need a break!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts