Allpar Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was getting ready to do the cap/glue/rivet repair on the strut tower of my '99 T&C and when I started poking at the rust it was a lot worse than I had thought. See photo below. A lot of the area that the glue would bond to has been damaged. Is the whole tower going to have to be replaced? Thoughts, anyone?

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
See, now that looks about as bad as the one on my old '99, and the cap/glue/rivet repair (OK, we used self-tapping bolts, not rivets, and left them in there...) worked just fine.

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
I'd replace it or have a lot of heavy-gauge metal welded in.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Mopar has come out with the repair package for the strut tower. More often than not it is the drivers side that needs replacing. Part numbers are listed below. Most outside shops just buy the cap and create their own install procedure.​

Tech Tip Description: If you are replacing a 1996-2000 Minivan Strut Tower due to corrosion, instead consider using strut tower cap 05080008AA (right/passenger side) or 05080009AA (left/driver side) along with cap repair package 05086513AB and adhesive 05083855AA. You will need an adhesive dispenser for the repair - available under p/n 05016570AA. The I-Sheet for the repair is included in the cap package.​

Steven​

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
Wow! That didn't just happen overnight. Is this a new to you vehicle? If not, I'm wondering why you just now decided to do something about it. My 99 GC has absolutely rust free towers, but that's got a lot to do with living in the South and not in the rust belt.

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies everyone. There was no hole visible in the tower before I started poking at it. If I start grinding down to bare metal for the cap there won't be much left!

Looks like there is a replacement part for the entire tower. I think I will see what the local Chrysler dealer wants for replacing the whole tower. I see others have reported $1000 - $1500.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
Note that the "glue" is not just a glue - it does work with what's left of the existing metal to form a bond with the cap. Again - that picture is darn near identical to how mine looked, and the cap/glue fix worked wonderfully.

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow! That didn't just happen overnight. Is this a new to you vehicle? If not, I'm wondering why you just now decided to do something about it. My 99 GC has absolutely rust free towers, but that's got a lot to do with living in the South and not in the rust belt.
I've had the van for 6 years now. I've been watching the paint on the strut tower get bubbly over the past couple years and figured this would be the year I tackle it. The hole wasn't apparent until I started working on it. I guess as soon as the bubbles appear something needs to be done.

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Note that the "glue" is not just a glue - it does work with what's left of the existing metal to form a bond with the cap. Again - that picture is darn near identical to how mine looked, and the cap/glue fix worked wonderfully.
Thanks, Stratuscaster. If the alternative is to replace the whole strut tower, there isn't any harm in looking further into what I could bond to with the cap. Based on the price the "acrylic structural adhesive" should be really good stuff! I've already gathered all the tools and materials for the repair anyway.

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
Dang, reading this again, I think I'm going to go out and check mine out in a little while. I really love my GC and would like to keep driving it as long as I can. There's no way I could afford a repair like that living on Social Security disability. It stinks. The van is paid for and cheap to insure, so I plan on keeping it as long as I can.

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dang, reading this again, I think I'm going to go out and check mine out in a little while. I really love my GC and would like to keep driving it as long as I can. There's no way I could afford a repair like that living on Social Security disability. It stinks. The van is paid for and cheap to insure, so I plan on keeping it as long as I can.
Chuzz, Chrysler recommends a repair as soon as even surface rust is visible. See "Repair A" in the Chrysler instructions in the following link:
http://www.allpar.com/forums/topic/125923-strut-tower-corrosion-the-mopar-repair-method/page__hl__%2Btower+%2Bcorrosion
I'd say whenever changing struts any corrosion should be removed and painted over (both from above and below). The real problem is that the corrosion happens between the layers of sheet metal in the tower. There are oval plugs near the front of the strut towers on each side. The best inspection is to remove these and check for corrosion starting to separate the layers of metal. It is just starting on my right side tower.

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
Thanks for the info, unLIMITED. I did a visual earlier today and everything looked great. I'm gonna go out and check those oval plugs right now. Okay, that only took a minute and mine are absolutely rust free. Sometimes things do go right around here!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts