Allpar Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to rebuild a carb for the first time, are all carb rebuild kits the same? I.E. All 4bbl ones are universal and all 2bbl ones are universal.

·
Super Moderator
21,351 Posts
They are dependent on the year/make/model of the vehicle. A carburetor model # may also help identify the correct kit. Carburetor 'Jiffy' kits are getting harder to find.
If yours has a plastic float, replace that and the fuel and air filters as well at the same time.

·
KOG
6,994 Posts
There may not be many more than 10,000 different carb kits.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Yep ... and that's just for Thermoquads and AFBs ...

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
Unless you have an experienced helper for the first few carburators, leave it to the "experts". There are a lot of things to look for and a lot of adjustments that need to be correct.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Not all will fit. You can probably find one though. I used an Edelbrock rebuilt kit on my Carter AFB four barrel, but edelbrock and carter are like dodge and plymouth, at least for 1989.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I had a 72 Monte Carlo with a quadrajet. Got a holly 6 something that was rebuilt. A couple days later the top of the engine caught on fire from gas leaking out of the rebuilt carb. Burnt the car to the ground except for the rear 2 centerlines and tires. I saved them. Point is, and that was 25 years ago, that the rebuilt one was done by someone that knew what they were doing. Car still leaked gas from somewhere, got ignited by a spark from somewhere while driving from the mall and burnt to the ground before fire trucks got there. It was my baby. Just sharing a rebuild story with ya. Good luck too whatever you end up deciding to do.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Half of the "professional" rebuilt carburetors I ever saw had throttle shaft bushings so worn you could stuff a cat through the gap. Too many rebuilts turn out to have porous casting defects and tiny interiors holes plugged and were turned in as cores because they were "unrebuildable". I used to use a near boiling-hot "soup" and soak the carburetor overnight, then rinse to cut through gum and gunk. And an assortment of custom fit ultra-tiny rubber tipped blow nozzles to reach tiny orafices.

·
Super Moderator
21,351 Posts
I have gone through 3 or 4 remanufactured carburetors before getting a good one. I think that many are re-boxed and re-sold until they go away. The remanufacturer has no way of 'testing' the carb as they can't bolt it to the car and listen to it run. It is rarely plug n' play and the carb will need to be set up to what it is installed on.
Also when a carb is turned into them for an exchange the past history and original problem is unknown, they have no idea what that person has done to that carb to try and fix it. Sometimes fuel/air orifices are drilled out that just aren't noticed by the guy at the bench doing a gasket slap and float set. You takes your chances, but the store is usually pretty good about warranty, that is if another carb matching yours is still around.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts