Allpar Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
40,270 Posts
All of these cars were made in Windsor from 1975-1979, likely they could build the Charger, Magnum and Cordoba all at once. The differences like fenders, trunk lids and bumpers just meant there were a few more piles of parts along the assembly line. I always heard the 1978 Charger was just in case the Magnum styling flopped with the public. Or that they had too many of the old parts with the restyle of the Cordoba. I think the Cordoba restyle in 1978 was to catch up with the Chevy Monte Carlo that went from round headlights to stacked square headlights a few years earlier.

I'm surprised that 1977 in the junkyard had a 9.25" axle, even with the 400 most had the 8.25" axle.

·
Super Moderator
40,270 Posts
Yes, the B and R body cop cars and trailer towing cars always got the 9.25". But I guess the normal 400 Lean Burn cars were so detuned the 8.25" held up fine in those.
it's a shame the later (as in around 1999 and up) 9.25" axle wasn't as sturdy as these early ones. Lots of Dakotas and Durangos (including the Dakota in my driveway) had 9.25" axles with issues.

Sometimes a car got a 9.25" axle for no reason. My friend had a 318-2 Magnum with few options and it has the 9.25" axle though it had a 904 transmission.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.