Allpar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Paper Tag Rubicon
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Super Coupe likely is an E58 360. nice
Yes the E58 360 4 barrel. What has me confused is what rear gear is my car equipped with, 2.76, 2.94, and 3.23? What RPM range is my engine running at around 75 mph?

Another question, did J or M bodies ever come with a 4 speed automatic with overdrive? Would that bolt right in?

·
Super Moderator
40,009 Posts
Yes the E58 360 4 barrel. What has me confused is what rear gear is my car equipped with, 2.76, 2.94, and 3.23? What RPM range is my engine running at around 75 mph?

Another question, did J or M bodies ever come with a 4 speed automatic with overdrive? Would that bolt right in?
There is no 4 speed auto that will bolt in without work..
The later 4 speed auto introduced in the trucks can be used (1988-1995), but it is longer, requires the transmission mount be custom made, requires manual controls for lockup and overdrive (though here are kits to automate it) and may require some modifications to the transmission tunnel.

3.2 gears and a tire comparable to he original GR-60-15 shouldn't be winding too bad at highway speeds.
I have the E58 with 3.2 gears and ran 225-75-15 tires on my 1979 Cordoba before I retired it. I was fine on the highway, though 65 MPH was the fastest speed limits back then.

Reactions: JohnRogers

·
Premium Member
2002 Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 with Cummins. 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Altitude
4,966 Posts
I almost bought one of these in late 78. Waited a year and bought a new 79 W150 Power Wagon. My first new vehicle, paid 6800.00 with rebates.

·
Paper Tag Rubicon
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After 2,900 miles the Super Coupe is home. I'll document my road trip tonight.

For a car that "needs nothing" there is plenty I want to do. My desire is to make my Super Coupe ready for the Hot Rod Power Tour. I'll post my questions and now in advance thanks for the advice.

My concern for today is a "high performance" alternator. My A and E body experience has always been dim lights and slow wipers. No surprise my F body exhibits the same behavior. Is a heavy duty alternator available? Is that not the answer?

·
Super Moderator
40,009 Posts
The factory used a 100 amp alternator on police cars (and many larger cars with a rear window defroster). If you could find this setup, along with the brackets to mount, it would be a stock looking solution. I'm sure there are other aftermarket solutions as well or a swap to the serpentine system opens up other later alternators from trucks.. You've got a 41 amp, 60 amp (if you have AC) or a 65 amp (if you have a rear window defroster).

·
Super Moderator
33,377 Posts
These were beautiful cars, both the coupes and sedans. A 78 Volare sedan was my driver's ed car in high school. My dad bought a 79 Aspen in 1981 and kept it for 8 years, loved it. It sold him on Chrysler products, and he had been a confirmed GM man.

·
Premium Member
2002 Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 with Cummins. 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Altitude
4,966 Posts
The factory used a 100 amp alternator on police cars (and many larger cars with a rear window defroster). If you could find this setup, along with the brackets to mount, it would be a stock looking solution. I'm sure there are other aftermarket solutions as well or a swap to the serpentine system opens up other later alternators from trucks.. You've got a 41 amp, 60 amp (if you have AC) or a 65 amp (if you have a rear window defroster).
My 76 Cordoba I owned in 78 had a/c and rear defrost and 360 it came with the 100 amp Motorola. Maybe there was a difference between rear defrost with a blower and one that had the grid in the back window. Mine was a grid defrost.

·
Paper Tag Rubicon
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I started with a solid Super Coupe out Redding, CA. It didn't have T-tops or the Sunroof I wanted but I didn't want a solid Super Coupe to slip away. I bought Chris and Dave's car from the following thread.

http://www.aspenandvolare.com/showth...per-Coupbought

Chris said it needed some TLC and it did. Tires, shocks and the battery on the 3,000 mile drive home. Although it didn't appear to use oil during the cross country trip I had leaking fluids in the garage, engine seals and a rebuilt transmission fix that.

First mod was ditching the single exhaust and cat. I have true dual exhaust but I'm not satisfied yet. It was supposed to have T/A or AAR style mufflers so the mufflers aren't under the front seats. That will need addressing. The side exhaust tips are nice.

Next was ditching the trusty Thermoquad for Holley Sniper EFI. During the install all the "smog" was removed. 1968 pre-emissions air cleaner. The engine seems to really breathe better.

Fresh air hood scoop. The twin A-Body scoops look great but all they did was catch air. I have a nice clean hole in the hood so the trapped air has somewhere to go and maybe provides some extra cooling.

I should have an A-Body style hood tach installed this week. I'm painting it tomorrow.

I wanted T-tops or a sunroof. Today I got my "moonroof" and will enjoy open air cruising.

My list for the offseason.

Rear Disc Brakes

Sure Grip: differential, 3.55, replace axel shafts?

Electrical: replace wiring harness?

Over Drive: most likely a Gear Vendors, maybe an A500 transmission.

Firm Feel: steering box, basically replace everything suspension front and rear.

Engine Rebuild: off season for power about 330hp.

Interior: fine for now but needing attention in various places.

Attachments

·
Paper Tag Rubicon
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A couple of updates. I went through my third "stock" A/C compressor and lost my mind. I had a complete Vintage Air system with the modern Sanden compressor installed.

Also while in Detroit for the Dream Cruise a professional photo shoot was done. So I could experiment with something for show season 2019. Consider the pics a work in progress.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
854 Posts
It looks like a few major components of my factory A/C needs replacing. F-body replacement parts are getting scarce. Any reason why this shouldn't work?
1974 Dodge Dart Sport - Sport 340 | Dodge AC (at https://www.classicautoair.com/shop/1974-dodge-dart-sport-sport-340-air-conditioning-system/ )
You'll have much better luck looking for Diplomat or Gran Fury police parts than A-body stuff. Your best options for alternator, starter, and A/C would be the Chrysler 120a, Denso starter, and the A/C stuff for an '89 Diplomat Police model. The alternator brackets are a bit smaller/lighter than the old 100/117a lunker.

You can run a 2.76 or 2.94 SG out back for more top end (much better drivability, too).

Would very much love to hear how the Holley EFI works out for you !!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts