Allpar Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allpar's sister site is reporting that there will be a supercharged version of the Pentastar 3.2 sometime around 2016, producing around 340 horsepower.

If true (any insiders care to comment?) where does this engine fit in the lineup? It seems like too much for the minivans, Journey, the 200. It doesn't seem like it is a good fit product-wise for the Cherokee, Grand Cherokee/Durango, or Ram pickups.

Is it a new mid level offering for the LX cars, slotting between the 3.6 and the 5.7 Hemi? That makes some sense, but are buyers clamoring for an offering between the 3.6 and the 5.7 to make it worth the development effort? Or, with the 8 speed making the current 3.6 LX cars almost as fast (or as fast) as the first-gen LX's with the Hemi and 5 speed, could a 340 HP supercharged 3.2 mated to the 8 speed replace the Hemi in maybe Charger and 300, offering similar performance to the current Hemi/5 speed combo but with better fuel mileage? I'm not necessarily endorsing that, just speculating.

Or could it be the "base" engine for the apparently performance-oriented Barracuda, which supposedly will also offer the HellCat?

Comments? Thoughts? Insights?

·
Registered
8,746 Posts
SRT6?

Just a thought. Would it be "enough" power for that?

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
Superchargers are gaining favor, as a way to gain horsepower, however their age old nemesis is still heat.
Keeping the temperature down is still the major challenge.
While claims are made that the latest versions of superchargers are running cooler, real world results still show problems with high temps, making these units suspect for mass production, but acceptable for limited runs, such as SRT.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
It would be a good fit in the Dart, but is there enough room for a V6 under the hood?

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
dana44 said:
It would be a good fit in the Dart, but is there enough room for a V6 under the hood?
It's very similar, but not exactly the same, as KL. so possibly.

·
Registered
491 Posts
It would be awesome if there was a supercharged 3.2 V6. I would definitely opt for one (SRT 6?) should I get a Challenger eventually...

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
DaveAdmin said:
Chrysler 200 and Jeep Cherokee are the prime candidates for the moment. I wonder about the upcoming D-RWD and whether they will design that for a V6 or V8. For Alfa, a twin turbo V6 would probably be fine, think about Ghibli.
Heat build up would not make the KL a prime candidate, it is already experiencing heating problems with a non-supercharged version.
To add to the overheated electronics, we can now add melting exhaust tips....that may be a large portion of the current delay, changing the tip design, or redesigning the rear valance to eliminate melting.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Beside 200 or the D-Size Sedan/Coupe Dodge, the 3rd candidate would be the Dodge version of Alfa/Mazda cars..

·
Registered
156 Posts
How big do you think the supercharger will be? They can get massive...

The combined size of the 3.2 L and the supercharger may eliminate some smaller vehicles...

·
Registered
107 Posts
As some of you May remember from a short while back.. My Post about SRT-6 and SRT-4 Jeeps

Jeep Cherokee SRT-6

Chrysler "200" SRT-6

Dodge "Avenger" (RWD) SRT-6

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
Chris Monaco said:
How big do you think the supercharger will be? They can get massive...
The combined size of the 3.2 L and the supercharger may eliminate some smaller vehicles...
The Magnuson supercharger for the 3.8 is pretty compact. So likely not an issue, but the heat generation in a tight engine compartment is...

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Thats shooting pain you feel? Thats the Law of Thermodynamics comin' around to bite us in the [I should have my mouth washed out with soap for using such terms].

1 - 15 of 15 Posts