Allpar Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
452 Posts

·
Resident Photoshop Nerd
Joined
·
7,997 Posts
.. americanized italian food; just like tacobell and deltaco are to mexican food. o_O
 

·
Well-Known Jeeper
Joined
·
2,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We now have three threads on this subject. :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
900 Posts
suzq044 said:
.. americanized italian food; just like tacobell and deltaco are to mexican food. o_O
Well, to be fair, Glenn Bell doesn't seem to have any Mexican heritage, so what would you expect? ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,389 Posts
Thank goodness for the Italians.... much better than have financial services guy appointed through connections to run the company. Real car people. I will take them over the Germans, a private equity group, or government appointment any day of the week including Sunday.

Anyone who has sat down at a real Italian meal in Italy wouldn't describe Olive Garden as anything other than American in Italian Style :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
427 Posts
My grandson was down from Minn. last weekend, he won't touch cornbread! He looked at it and said " what's that? " LOL! I know the next question from some of you will be, " what's cornbread " lol ! If you're from the south, cornbread a Jeeps are patriotic!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
900 Posts
SptFury said:
My grandson was down from Minn. last weekend, he won't touch cornbread! He looked at it and said " what's that? " LOL! I know the next question from some of you will be, " what's cornbread " lol ! If you're from the south, cornbread a Jeeps are patriotic!
Cornbread from the mid-west is better than from the south. I think we use more stuff to make it sweet or just different cornmeal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
427 Posts
LoganSix said:
Cornbread from the mid-west is better than from the south. I think we use more stuff to make it sweet or just different cornmeal.
Phew on sweetners in cornbread! Some cooks do use sugar, not me! But to each his own!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
900 Posts
SptFury said:
Phew on sweetners in cornbread! Some cooks do use sugar, not me! But to each his own!
What if it is sweet corn?
I think most people would call cornbread from the mid-west cornbread cake, because it is fluffy compared to cornbread from the south.

Now, what do you say about hushpuppies from the coast vs the interior in the south? The coastal huspuppies are sweeter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
427 Posts
We have a few restaurants that serve the 'sweetened' hushpuppies and I tolerate them but prefer no sweeteners in my cornbread or hushpoppies. I prefer white corn meal to yellow and my receipe is simple; corn meal, egg, milk or buttermilk, melted shortening, cast iron skillet @ 450. Add chopped onions for hushpuppies. There is a Corn Bread Day at S. Pittsburg, Tn every summer, not sure of date, but drive your Mopar down, Wrangler if that is your game, and drive the scenic E. Tenn.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
900 Posts
SptFury said:
We have a few restaurants that serve the 'sweetened' hushpuppies and I tolerate them but prefer no sweeteners in my cornbread or hushpoppies. I prefer white corn meal to yellow and my receipe is simple; corn meal, egg, milk or buttermilk, melted shortening, cast iron skillet @ 450. Add chopped onions for hushpuppies. There is a Corn Bread Day at S. Pittsburg, Tn every summer, not sure of date, but drive your Mopar down, Wrangler if that is your game, and drive the scenic E. Tenn.
That would have to be "drive over". I live in North Cackalacky, but am originally from the Mitten State. I no longer have a Jeep, but maybe again when my son is older. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
427 Posts
Correction, logan six, the National Cornbread Festival is the last full weekend of April. Tour the Lodge foundry where cast iron skillets are made. It's quite a production,\.
 
  • Like
Reactions: LoganSix

·
Administrator
Joined
·
35,258 Posts
Dang, haven't had hush puppies in ages.

As a side note, Bill C. pointed out to me that Ralph Lauren was #16. Ford, which made munitions for the Nazis and sued the government for the destruction of Nazi weapons plants that Ford still owned, came in well ahead of Dodge. So ... go figure. And someone pointed out that Deere wasn't up there - nor was Cummins which I think deserves something for being loyal to its USA workers.

What does "patriotism" mean exactly when Wal-Mart, which has done more than perhaps any other business in North America to move jobs to China, scores in the top 20? Is making American flags in China sufficient? Where are the companies that worked hard to keep manufacturing here in the US?

Under Fiat, Chrysler has moved a LOT of manufacturing from Mexico and China to Michigan and Ohio.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
900 Posts
Dr. Z said:
What does "patriotism" mean exactly when Wal-Mart, which has done more than perhaps any other business in North America to move jobs to China, scores in the top 20? Is making American flags in China sufficient? Where are the companies that worked hard to keep manufacturing here in the US?
Get your flags from Annin.
 

·
Active Jeeper
Joined
·
31,129 Posts
Dr. Z said:
Dang, haven't had hush puppies in ages.

As a side note, Bill C. pointed out to me that Ralph Lauren was #16. Ford, which made munitions for the Nazis and sued the government for the destruction of Nazi weapons plants that Ford still owned, came in well ahead of Dodge. So ... go figure. And someone pointed out that Deere wasn't up there - nor was Cummins which I think deserves something for being loyal to its USA workers.

What does "patriotism" mean exactly when Wal-Mart, which has done more than perhaps any other business in North America to move jobs to China, scores in the top 20? Is making American flags in China sufficient? Where are the companies that worked hard to keep manufacturing here in the US?

Under Fiat, Chrysler has moved a LOT of manufacturing from Mexico and China to Michigan and Ohio.
In addition to that, nearly defunct Kodak made the list, ironic that consumers love the name and not the product.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top